When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

822 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Massive disclaimer that it came from the fucking Courier but I see they had a story that civil servants have been told to prepare for a referendum in 2018. Even bigger disclaimer needed that all the SNP branch #ITK folk seem to think that's when it'll be as well. Overall though, there does seem to be a lot of talk about one then. HB stating as a matter of fact that it won't happen means it probably will as well.

2 hours ago, Crùbag said:

The youth - until age 44 -  has it nailed.

Not a matter of if Indy happens...

You can take the 16-17 year olds with a slight pinch of salt but 70% 24-32? Wooft. The Union really is hanging in on those baby boomers. Which is what makes me really nervous about this 2018 chat.

Mind you, if 49% are Yes today and the polls seem to suggest a lot of people want to see what happens with Europe before we have another Referendum, what happens post-Article 50 looks like the clincher at this stage.

As someone who would be happy to see a favourable outcome for Scotland from this and a tap-in indyref2 a few years down the line, I'm just delighted to see some close polls now. Scotland would be any easy thing to ignore with the polls at sub 45% type levels. This makes it interesting.

1 minute ago, Alan Stubbs said:

Massive disclaimer that it came from the fucking Courier but I see they had a story that civil servants have been told to prepare for a referendum in 2018. Even bigger disclaimer needed that all the SNP branch #ITK folk seem to think that's when it'll be as well. Overall though, there does seem to be a lot of talk about one then. HB stating as a matter of fact that it won't happen means it probably will as well.

The Courier is basically a Dundee-based Daily Mail with a Labour devotee as Political Editor, Kieran Andrews iirc. He posted some tremendously childish editorials after Labour were hosed in the Holyrood elections. I don't bother with it now (because you have to pay for online subscriptions), but it was terrific a while back for winding up Tory voting bigots and 'kippers, and on one occasion, a Tory Councillor across the letters pages. 

The Courier is basically a Dundee-based Daily Mail with a Labour devotee as Political Editor, Kieran Andrews iirc. He posted some tremendously childish editorials after Labour were hosed in the Holyrood elections. I don't bother with it now (because you have to pay for online subscriptions), but it was terrific a while back for winding up Tory voting bigots and 'kippers, and on one occasion, a Tory Councillor across the letters pages. 

Jenny Hjuls opinion column too. Slit your wrists stuff.

1 minute ago, jupe1407 said:

Indeed, hence my disclaimer comment. There seems to be a whole lot of chat, none of it particularly trustable in isolation, about 2018. Fuck knows if there's any truth in it but potentially interesting times ahead.

I haven't quite got to letters pages yet but the Scotsman's comments section is essential reading atm. Those people sound bizarrely angry when they're being smug and triumphant. Now genuine fear seens to have kicked in and the rage is off the scale lvg.png

4 minutes ago, Alan Stubbs said:

Indeed, hence my disclaimer comment. There seems to be a whole lot of chat, none of it particularly trustable in isolation, about 2018. Fuck knows if there's any truth in it but potentially interesting times ahead.

I haven't quite got to letters pages yet but the Scotsman's comments section is essential reading atm. Those people sound bizarrely angry when they're being smug and triumphant. Now genuine fear seens to have kicked in and the rage is off the scale lvg.png

Glorious. 

The Courier alone had been absolutely wonderful reading even since the SNP bitch-slapped Labour in May '15. 

10 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

Hope so, it's a banker for ANOTHER No, we might then be able to put it to bed again for at least another... 6 months.

Well that's the thing, we only have to win once. You lot have to win EVERY time

10 hours ago, Alan Stubbs said:

You can take the 16-17 year olds with a slight pinch of salt but 70% 24-32? Wooft. The Union really is hanging in on those baby boomers. Which is what makes me really nervous about this 2018 chat.

Mind you, if 49% are Yes today and the polls seem to suggest a lot of people want to see what happens with Europe before we have another Referendum, what happens post-Article 50 looks like the clincher at this stage.

As someone who would be happy to see a favourable outcome for Scotland from this and a tap-in indyref2 a few years down the line, I'm just delighted to see some close polls now. Scotland would be any easy thing to ignore with the polls at sub 45% type levels. This makes it interesting.

If a sub-Daily Mail paper is printing such postive Yes figures for most age-groups then the likliehood of a Yes vote increases surely.

As has been pointed out before, we started the last Indyref campaign on 30%. Starting on 49% aint a bad place and it will probably rise before Indyref2 is called. The vote in Scotland is very polarised now with Labour's Unionist right-wing vote having gone en masse to the Tories. Labour's remaining progressive vote has gone to SNP. The positive vibes from England's progressive voters towards Sturgeon will strengthen her position - see this weeks Corbyn ridicule - and has her firm pro-EU and pro-immigration stance. Lots of English and EU voters will be switching sides.

Yeah I think Spring 2019 would be a decent period to aim for

Gives the UK government more time to be destructive and cunty

If Yes doesn't win this time, it's dead for at least 20 years - probably more 

Yeah I think Spring 2019 would be a decent period to aim for
Gives the UK government more time to be destructive and cunty
If Yes doesn't win this time, it's dead for at least 20 years - probably more 

Also gives more time to consider a judgement on the SNP's record in Government, which can only be a good thing for the No vote.
Think many more will conclude, "do we really want this f*ckin lot leading us into the wilderness"!?

3 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

Also gives more time to consider a judgement on the SNP's record in Government, which can only be a good thing for the No vote.
Think many more will conclude, "do we really want this f*ckin lot leading us into the wilderness"!?

Yes, that's right! You can compare such things as the NHS to any other part of the UK!  Maybe not a good idea after all eh? 

Think you're being slightly misleading there, discussion isn't tantamount to agreement.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/10/independent-scotland-would-have-to-apply-for-eu-membership