When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

822 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 hours ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

A very quick reply to Ross who apparently is on ignore there.

Quick question: why would Scotland have to reduce annual spending by £12.6 Billion in the event of independence?

To make the books balance. It's not just me saying it. If you want EU membership you have to reduce your annual deficit to below 3%. If Scotland became Independent with their current spending and revenue figures you'd be looking at a deficit of 7.5% - one of the highest annual deficits in the world. 

Since we're asking questions, perhaps you'd care to answer this one for me. How much do you think an Independent Scotland would have to cut spending by when the tap from London and the South East turns off? How much of a deficit do you think it would be responsible to run? What public services would you cut? How much would you raise tax by to help balance the books? I think the electorate deserves to know before you try to lead them off down a path of extreme self harm. If you think we've been living through "austerity" wait till you try the post Scottish Independence austerity that would be needed. 

Nicola Sturgeon appears to understand the situation. She says so here 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/aug/23/independent-scotland-would-need-to-cut-deficit-says-sturgeon

5 hours ago, Malky3 said:

Hi Ross, perhaps you can point out where I am supposed to have said that? 

Hi Malky,

If that is not what you are implying, then what relevance is it to bring them up, as well as to mention where they are headquartered?

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Ross. said:

Hi Malky,

If that is not what you are implying, then what relevance is it to bring them up, as well as to mention where they are headquartered?

Thanks.

To show that Nationalists like to move those two banks back and forward over the border to suit whatever argument they are making. When talking about bail outs and how the banking collapse affected the UK you and others seek to make them English but when it comes to tax revenues and printing currency your ilk want them counted as Scottish. 

It makes no odds to me. We're all British but the Nationalists are so wrapped up in hypocrisy that you and your mates have spun yourselves dizzy. 

As it happens ofcourse RBS have said in the event of Scottish Independence they'd have to move their HQ to London. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rbs-will-move-to-london-if-scotland-leaves-union-2lfwcvnqt

3 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

To show that Nationalists like to move those two banks back and forward over the border to suit whatever argument they are making. When talking about bail outs and how the banking collapse affected the UK you and others seek to make them English but when it comes to tax revenues and printing currency your ilk want them counted as Scottish. 

It makes no odds to me. We're all British but the Nationalists are so wrapped up in hypocrisy that you and your mates have spun yourselves dizzy. 

As it happens ofcourse RBS have said in the event of Scottish Independence they'd have to move their HQ to London. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rbs-will-move-to-london-if-scotland-leaves-union-2lfwcvnqt

Hi Malky,

Can you please provide evidence of where people on this thread have tried to make both banks English? My question about the H was entirely aimed at showing they were multinational.

In the event of RBS moving their HQ to England, what would the direct and indirect impact be on Scotland? Would all jobs and transactions currently routed through Scotland move also? Would they stop doing any business in Scotland?

Thanks.

Just one person talking any sense on the Andrew Marr Show this morning. 

Well done Ian Blackford - your interview came across like a breath of fresh air. Impossible for any sane Scot to dispute anything you said.

Malky probably enjoyed and appreciated it too!

10 hours ago, Malky3 said:

To make the books balance. It's not just me saying it. If you want EU membership you have to reduce your annual deficit to below 3%. If Scotland became Independent with their current spending and revenue figures you'd be looking at a deficit of 7.5% - one of the highest annual deficits in the world. 

Since we're asking questions, perhaps you'd care to answer this one for me. How much do you think an Independent Scotland would have to cut spending by when the tap from London and the South East turns off? How much of a deficit do you think it would be responsible to run? What public services would you cut? How much would you raise tax by to help balance the books? I think the electorate deserves to know before you try to lead them off down a path of extreme self harm. If you think we've been living through "austerity" wait till you try the post Scottish Independence austerity that would be needed. 

Nicola Sturgeon appears to understand the situation. She says so here 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/aug/23/independent-scotland-would-need-to-cut-deficit-says-sturgeon

Please answer the question. Why would Scotland have to reduce spending by £12.6 billion?

Well done Ian Blackford - your interview came across like a breath of fresh air. Impossible for any sane Scot to dispute anything you said.

Blackford has been fantastic, big upgrade over Angus Robertson IMHO

Again,..according to the govts own estimations everyone will be £2,500 per head worse off under Johnson's Brexit deal, with a £50 billion hit to the Uk economy. Even arch-Brexiter Rees-Mogg suggested that it could take 'decades' to see the 'benefits'.

So, the price for staying in the union post-Brexit is to be significantly worse off, see austerity on steroids to cover the short fall, and for the much trumpeted Barnett formula to obviously be cut as well.

So on the one hand we will have massive cuts to public spending and the Scottish govts block grant being significantly reduced, and in the other corner, Unionists saying that Scotland can never afford to be Independent as we will have a £12.6 billion black hole, and 7.5% deficit which its said wont let us back in the EU without further cuts.

Or...could it be that an Independent Scotland makes different political choices to those imposed by Westminster and in fact starts with a lot of blanks in the balance sheet as growth could go up as well as down?

Edited by Jedi

7 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I hadn't watched it until now. I suspect you know full well I thought he talked a load of shite. 

Imagine boasting about the Scottish NHS! Well seeing he hides down in London most of the year. 

24 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

I hadn't watched it until now. I suspect you know full well I thought he talked a load of shite. 

Imagine boasting about the Scottish NHS! Well seeing he hides down in London most of the year. 

He must have read this :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45790051

3 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Again,..according to the govts own estimations everyone will be £2,500 per head worse off under Johnson's Brexit deal, with a £50 billion hit to the Uk economy. Even arch-Brexiter Rees-Mogg suggested that it could take 'decades' to see the 'benefits'.

So, the price for staying in the union post-Brexit is to be significantly worse off, see austerity on steroids to cover the short fall, and for the much trumpeted Barnett formula to obviously be cut as well.

So on the one hand we will have massive cuts to public spending and the Scottish govts block grant being significantly reduced, and in the other corner, Unionists saying that Scotland can never afford to be Independent as we will have a £12.6 billion black hole, and 7.5% deficit which its said wont let us back in the EU without further cuts.

Or...could it be that an Independent Scotland makes different political choices to those imposed by Westminster and in fact starts with a lot of blanks in the balance sheet as growth could go up as well as down?

Oh FFS. What an economically illiterate post this is. 

First off the ONS report you refer to doesn't say we'll be worse off at all. It predicts growth. Just growth at a slower rate than it would have been had we remained in the EU. Where we have growth we won't need austerity. Indeed we can see that right now where ALL of the political parties are promising to borrow more and to spend vast sums on projects - many of which sound utterly impractical and bewilderingly stupid. 

The only scenario that would see "austerity on steriods" is if the Scottish people are ever stupid enough to vote for an Independent Scotland where without the support and help of the strong London, and South East of England economies, the Scottish Government would have to find large cuts to try to bring the Scottish deficit down from around 7.5% currently to less than 3% to comply with EU rules. Read the links I've supplied where Sturgeon has already told you this is indeed the case! 

1 minute ago, Malky3 said:

Oh FFS. What an economically illiterate post this is. 

First off the ONS report you refer to doesn't say we'll be worse off at all. It predicts growth. Just growth at a slower rate than it would have been had we remained in the EU.

We should all leave it to genius boy here.

Just now, Malky3 said:

First off the ONS report you refer to doesn't say we'll be worse off at all. It predicts growth. Just growth at a slower rate than it would have been had we remained in the EU.

It literally says we will be worse off. And in this quote that is literally what you say.

Anyhoo, I sidetrack. Why would an independent Scotland have to cut spending by £12.6 billion?