The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

The Daily Record regurgitating the nonsense about last season's Scottish Cup Final being shown UK-wide on the BBC.

The BBC hold the rights to both finals which poses an obvious scheduling headache and last year, the SFA got around that by moving the Inverness vs Celtic final to a 5.30 kick-off to allow both finals to be shown live UK-wide.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/celtic-vs-rangers-scottish-cup-32648355

While it technically was, due to availability of BBC One Scotland and BBC Scotland on the iPlayer and cable/satellite in rUK, the clear implication is that it was on BBC One everywhere.

21 hours ago, Desp said:

For the Premier League shirts on kids, that's been the case for 30 years or more. 

More like 50 years.  Not many Christmases went by when I didn't get an English top.  At secondary school most kids wore an English top for PE.  

3 hours ago, Lex said:

You just need to look at this Misc other football board on this forum to see how popular English football is in Scotland. 
On the first page of that board alone we have the Barclays thread, the English football league thread, the English non league thread, the FA Cup thread, The Everton thread, the Carlisle thread and the Liverpool thread.

That's the part of the forum those threads belong. I don't think that shows what you think it does.

I suspect the threads might be  busy at certain times, but that's a different matter.

23 minutes ago, hk blues said:

More like 50 years.  Not many Christmases went by when I didn't get an English top.  At secondary school most kids wore an English top for PE.  

I know, but just think you see a lot more now. I may be mistaken.

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Do some of you think there's a moral high ground that can be achieved by not watching English football? Where are the lines in the sand?

I won't watch Celtic or Rangers.

Absolutely no moral high ground. For me, it's the English equivalent of WWE, but each to their own. 

19 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Do some of you think there's a moral high ground that can be achieved by not watching English football? Where are the lines in the sand?

Don’t be so trivial. 

There is clearly a moral scale here - someone who watches the top end of the premier league should be stripped of a vote in general elections, whilst someone who samples English non league football when available as well as being keenly interested in continental football should be fast tracked to high public office. 

13 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Don’t be so trivial. 

There is clearly a moral scale here - someone who watches the top end of the premier league should be stripped of a vote in general elections, whilst someone who samples English non league football when available as well as being keenly interested in continental football should be fast tracked to high public office. 

Any level of continental football, PSG, Barca, Real...

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Any level of continental football, PSG, Barca, Real...

No no, hipster football like Scandinavia. I have a level of awareness of bk hacken, Helsinki and elfsborg which probably qualifies me anyway. Just saying. 

57 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It’s not taking a moral high ground. It’s questioning how we can encourage others to consider why they put so much time and money into a sport in a different country when they could have much more impact with that input on their own doorstep.

32 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Aye I had George Best football boots and a Man Utd top. 

In the 70's and 80's when Scotland qualified for WC's on a regular basis you also had a lot of our players playing in English teams, Leeds Utd, Notts Forrest, Man Utd, Liverpool etc were full of them. 

I also liked watching the football firsts program on a Sunday, but iirc they cancelled that the year Livi got relegated from the SPL, the b*****ds.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I used to watch it a fair bit, same with CL and other European comps, but i slowly lost interest in them, and rarely watch any English games now, and haven't watched any CL games for a few years now. In fact i was getting free BT sports with my internet and tv package and still didn't watch the CL games, then i just cancelled it when they started charging me for it.

Maybe supporting Livi and being up and down every league in the SPFL has something to do with it, and given me more interest in Scottish leagues. I like watching the Fri night lower league games, maybe i was subconsciously preparing myself for us playing in them next season.

38 minutes ago, stu2910 said:

It’s not taking a moral high ground. It’s questioning how we can encourage others to consider why they put so much time and money into a sport in a different country when they could have much more impact with that input on their own doorstep.

Maybe we should give the money to poor people?

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Why stop at football for good old Scottish isolationism. Beatles you say ? Typical Mersey Beat fanboy. I spent Saturday night listening to Wet Wet Wet & Hue & Cry and I know which I preferred !!!

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I have a level of awareness of bk hacken, Helsinki and elfsborg which probably qualifies me anyway.

The fact you didn't state which Helsinki team you were referring to disqualifies you, unfortunately.

3 hours ago, hk blues said:

Yeah seemed to take off around mid 1970s. I remember having Middlesbrough, Coventry and weirdly Borussia Monchengladbach tops around that time.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Not even sure what point you’re trying to make with that, but yeh we probably should.  Or literally anything that isn’t just chucking at some of the biggest business in the world that wouldn’t miss it.

Just now, stu2910 said:

Not even sure what point you’re trying to make with that, but yeh we probably should.  Or literally anything that isn’t just chucking at some of the biggest business in the world that wouldn’t miss it.

I understood your post to mean you felt Scottish football was more deserving. Mine was pointing out there are even more deserving causes.

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

42 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I understood your post to mean you felt Scottish football was more deserving. Mine was pointing out there are even more deserving causes.

Opens up another debate, do you just donate to the poor people in Scotland, or deserving causes in other Countries.