James McClean

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really? Your ignorance of Irish history astounds me in that case.

I know.

As I said, you'd really think I'd have known that, without you pointing it out.

Just goes to show you. :)

I wonder what the reaction would be if, for some reason, Aiden McGeady (or Leo Messi, or whoever) turned his back on Flower of Scotland? I'd imagine it'd be quite aggressive.

The current Celtic players in the Scotland team v Qatar, captain of the side included, all stood with their mouths firmly shut when FoS was played. All other players, ex-Celtis players included, at least attempted to mumble something. Nothing was said about it.

The current Celtic players in the Scotland team v Qatar, captain of the side included, all stood with their mouths firmly shut when FoS was played. All other players, ex-Celtis players included, at least attempted to mumble something. Nothing was said about it.

:rolleyes:

Anyone "outraged" by this needs their head tested.

I almost entirely agree with this. The Americans do like a bit of pre-match jingoism before pretty-much any sporting occasion, though. I just think trying to make a political point, however minor, is tacky and a touch disrespectful to your hosts.

Still, 'footballer acting like a classless twat' is really a dog bites man story.

I don't think he's attention seeking, I think it's pretty clear he feels pretty strongly about his stance.

Not sure what I'd do if I had to stand to GSTQ. Would most definitely just stand there and do nothing, afterall it is ONLY a song but I wouldn't like having to do it. My mate in the army said to me they had to sing it a lot and if you didn't you got sent on runs. Not sure how true that is.

Sounds like utter bollocks.

Here's my take.

1. James McLean is a below average premier league footballer. He's otherwise irrelevant.

2. He's making a series of childish gestures which serve only to make him feel good about being edgy and political. There's nothing noble about it.

This

Given the village he is from was home to six of those killed in the Bloody Sunday massacre, I would say he's got a pretty legitimate grievance with the British establishment,

If someone was being pedantic, why do German athletes etc not turn there back?

I'd hazard a guess there's a few footballers who come from the same towns as victims of the terrorist attacks from the Ira, so on and so forth. He's evidently trying to come across as edgy and anti British, while living in England and happily taking the Queens sterling, if he was so dead set against it surely he'd just play in Ireland?

He's Northern Irish, it's his own anthem!

He's evidently trying to come across as edgy and anti British, while living in England and happily taking the Queens sterling, if he was so dead set against it surely he'd just play in Ireland?

He's Northern Irish, it's his own anthem!

Honestly, chap? This is what I'd expect on FollowFollow and it's a dull argument.

I also think it's been given more exposure than it deserves.

If someone was being pedantic, why do German athletes etc not turn there back?

You do understand the difference between Nazi Germany and modern Germany?

:lol:

Yes, it's that simple when you're from the 6 counties isn't it...

It is pretty straightforward. legally speaking if you're born in Northern Ireland you have a right of Irish citizenship

Archived