Depressing Visits

Yesterday, I went down Kirkcaldy High Street. It depressed the life out me. People say things like that, but this really did lower my mood. Set against a backdrop of grey sky and rain, and coming after a visit to a friend, where he talked about things his partner does that annoy him to the point of him wanting to leave, this visit really brought me down.

So much so, that today I'm contemplating ways to get me and the family the f**k out of here, to somewhere with better weather and a better High Street.

When the summer is as utterly shit as this one is, I suspect this is a common theme in Scotland.

What is the most depressing visit you've had and how do you rate the place you live?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Around Christmas last year I was in Dumbarton seeing family and went along the High Street to get a few bits of shopping. I used to live on that street and hated it passionately due to the number of junkies, jakies, pawn shops etc. Within two minutes of getting out the car I saw two smack heads having a square go (or, more accurately, screeching at each other how much they'd injure the other without actually having the nerve to swing) outside a discount shoe shop as kids and families wandered around the few shops that operate in that street (mostly pound shops, charity shops, bookmakers, pawn shops, off licences and the like). It stinks because of its proximity to the River Leven and floods occasionally for the same reason, it has several junkie treatment centres on it, about ten pubs (mostly dives full of no hopers), a shopping precinct that was built to attract retailers but has never once managed to let out all its vacant units, buildings with grubby, fading facades, loads of poor folk, old folk, addicts, kids with kids etc. A thoroughly depressing street and I'm glad every day that I don't live there anymore.

Around Christmas last year I was in Dumbarton seeing family and went along the High Street to get a few bits of shopping. I used to live on that street and hated it passionately due to the number of junkies, jakies, pawn shops etc. Within two minutes of getting out the car I saw two smack heads having a square go (or, more accurately, screeching at each other how much they'd injure the other without actually having the nerve to swing) outside a discount shoe shop as kids and families wandered around the few shops that operate in that street (mostly pound shops, charity shops, bookmakers, pawn shops, off licences and the like). It stinks because of its proximity to the River Leven and floods occasionally for the same reason, it has several junkie treatment centres on it, about ten pubs (mostly dives full of no hopers), a shopping precinct that was built to attract retailers but has never once managed to let out all its vacant units, buildings with grubby, fading facades, loads of poor folk, old folk, addicts, kids with kids etc. A thoroughly depressing street and I'm glad every day that I don't live there anymore.

Well, that's Dumbarton off the list.

I used to have fond memories of going to the waterfront at Helensburgh with my gran when I was a little scamp and getting ice cream and playing on the beach.

I went there last year and it is really quite run down.

That's one of my lines :lol: I'm In Edinburgh that's only a short move from Kirkcaldy.

I work there and have lived there in the past. I'm currently thinking South East of England or abroad.

Occasionally at lunchtime I go for a wander along the High Street just to get out the office. It's utterly grim.

Most towns high streets are shiteholes. It's to easy to shop online or pop to the nearest city. Arbroaths tried to put in new shops to see if it makes a difference and they all close down. Why put in a decent shop that's smaller with less choice in Arbroath high street when you can jump on the train to Dundee, be there in 10 minutes, go to the same shop that has ten times the selection. Same with Dumbarton I imagine. They could just pop off to Glasgow.

Travelling around so many places watching Arbroaths made me realise it's not actually that bad at all. Remember being in Methil and asking someone where the high street was. Turned out we were standing on it. As for cities Aberdeen centre is definitely the most depressing out the 4.

Agreed, horrible street. Every time i visit Dumbarton it kinda depresses me.

Quite a lot of people say Inverness is great from having lived a while there I think it's pretty shit. A lot of small minded wee chavs that have horrible accents and a chip on their shoulder who all shop in the officers club and wear doc martins.

also a lot of young parents compared to other parts of Scotland I have lived in.

I remember when I was a lot younger it used to be full of moshers and goths as well it was crazy

Most towns high streets are shiteholes. It's to easy to shop online or pop to the nearest city. Arbroaths tried to put in new shops to see if it makes a difference and they all close down. Why put in a decent shop that's smaller with less choice in Arbroath high street when you can jump on the train to Dundee, be there in 10 minutes, go to the same shop that has ten times the selection. Same with Dumbarton I imagine. They could just pop off to Glasgow.

I personally find small, abandoned shopping centres like the Abbeygate both depressing and creepy. It's a bit like wandering through the mall in Vice City but without being able to mow folk down with a chainsaw gun.

Archived