Scottish What if transfers.

Not sure if this has been done before but, what superstar players over the years have Scottish clubs almost signed or been heavily linked with?

Who could forget the Ronaldinho to St Mirren saga that almost happened back in 2001.

The team formerly known as Rangers apparently also tried to sign Fat Ronaldo back in the 90s aswell.

Gianluca Vialli was on Goals on Sunday a while ago saying he also almost signed for them instead of chelsea.

For Killie there was the story of then manager Alex Totten going down to Man Utd and enquiring about Paul Scholes who was just breaking into the team. Originally I heard we were quoted £1million and we said too expensive but in reality I think we were simply told to get tae. Ended up signing Neil Whitworth and Colin Mckee for a combined 350 odd grand.

We also got linked with Maradona..........his son anyway.

So who was your biggest what if signing?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't rangers nearly sign messi on loan before he broke into the first team then it fell through?

Slightly off topic but alloa have Chopra (albeit he's a bit has been but still has it) and gilmar Silva (or whatever he's calling himself today, shit player, has about ma million names but is massive in the phillipines.)

Didn't rangers nearly sign messi on loan before he broke into the first team then it fell through?Slightly off topic but alloa have Chopra (albeit he's a bit has been but still has it) and gilmar Silva (or whatever he's calling himself today, shit player, has about ma million names but is massive in the phillipines.)

Mcleish definitely looked at getting him on loan

Was their not links between celtic and rivaldo towards the end of his career that rumbled on for a few weeks

Mcleish definitely looked at getting him on loan

Was their not links between celtic and rivaldo towards the end of his career that rumbled on for a few weeks

If I mind right from what I was told McLeish tried to get messi (2003 or 2004ish) and tasks were ongoing before instead being told why not take iniesta instead then iniesta scored in a preseason game then rangers got told to get tae...

If I mind right from what I was told McLeish tried to get messi (2003 or 2004ish) and tasks were ongoing before instead being told why not take iniesta instead then iniesta scored in a preseason game then rangers got told to get tae...

Aye it was something like that , I am certain if you type it in google you can actually still see the Sky sports article on it

Hearts were close to signing Tomas Brolin in the 90's, pretty sure he was already about 2 stone past his best by that point.

We were also heavily linked with Stan collymore on loan under JJ iirc. In the Laszlo reign he claimed he'd agreed terms with Nuno Gomes but Vlad knocked it back to sign David Witteveen. Solid choice.

Thistle had agreed to sign two Cameroonians that played in Italia 90 but the deal collapsed due to the limit on foreigners registered in Scotland.

Oleg Kuznetsov signing for the old Rangers was the one that scuppered it for us.

Archived