Building Scotland.

Archie

Just been on the news there that the V&A in Dundee is running 4 years behind and around 40 million over budget. With the Scottish Parliament and Edinburgh tram system shambles in mind, is it just me, or are so called tradesmen in the east of Scotland a bit shite.

Nothing to do with who's building it. It's who's managing it, that's the issue. Plus unrealistic programming is a massive problem, well that and not designing it properly.

To be honest the list of reason goes on and on, but it's nothing to do with the tradesmen themselves.

Just been on the news there that the V&A in Dundee is running 4 years behind and around 40 million over budget. With the Scottish Parliament and Edinburgh tram system shambles in mind, is it just me, or are so called tradesmen in the east of Scotland a bit shite.

If the budget is over optimistic to begin with - and some are deliberately so in order to get the go ahead - there is little chance of the project coming in anywhere near the estimate.

IIRC the contractors are BAM, whom I think are an Irish bunch.

post-31698-0-58489100-1439576101.jpg

Nothing to do with who's building it. It's who's managing it, that's the issue. Plus unrealistic programming is a massive problem, well that and not designing it properly.

To be honest the list of reason goes on and on, but it's nothing to do with the tradesmen themselves.

We've had this problem at work. On a much smaller scale than the V+A, of course. However, It's frustrating that architects can't do the basics and I suspect it is going to cause a shit storm in the near future for my work.

When you're doing a project of that scale it's inevitable. Hard enough making contingencies for small jobs never mind ones of this scale. As someone's already said the project costs are extremely optimistic so the works can get approved.

We've had this problem at work. On a much smaller scale than the V+A, of course. However, It's frustrating that architects can't do the basics and I suspect it is going to cause a shit storm in the near future for my work.

I'm now trying to guess what you do. :lol:

Having seen large scale projects first hand at work, the amount of mistakes that need solved are insane. Albeit I've nothing to do with them, I'm a whole different team, which is nothing to do with new builds.

I think one of the massive issues, especially relating to the previous Tram and Parliament projects referenced to. Was that there was no stable project team. The architect, PM, QS team all changed and that leads to massive continuity issues, there's so much attempting to catch up with whatever was previously done that by the time you've corrected those mistakes, there's plenty more at your feet. All you can do is firefight, which is why things go over budget and over time.

Planning is key, as with anything. On massive scale projects that's especially key. I think Scottish councils and governments are too keen to fast track things and that's leading to spiralling costs.

It is indeed BAM who are Principal Contractor.

Think they are the main folk for the borders railway project. Not heard if that has run over budget. It may be a month or two late in opening but in the big scheme of things that's not too bad.

New toilets?

:lol:

Actually, yes!

Main problem being a 4" vent going up the corner of the room having to be removed, and as far as I can tell they're planning on replacing it with a durgo. Which just doesn't work.

Think they are the main folk for the borders railway project. Not heard if that has run over budget. It may be a month or two late in opening but in the big scheme of things that's not too bad.

I think they were close to being on time and budget but had one of there contractors have part of his leg amputated after an accident (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-30229146). They also had another one in 210 in London (http://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/Inbox/bam-nuttall-fined-140000-for-crushing-accident/86389)

Archived