Caledonian Sleeper

Eckieboy

My sister uses it quite regularly between London and Inverness and really likes it, I would have thought kids would love it. You have to book as far ahead as possible to get decent prices, which means checking every day to see if the dates you want are on the system yet and pouncing.

It was good while First ran it as part of the ScotRail franchise. But since it was split off into its own franchise, it's apparently gone downhill especially in terms of reliability. A couple of weeks ago, the Inverness portion broke down just south of Aviemore and stayed there all night before heading back up to Inverness.

My sister uses it quite regularly between London and Inverness and really likes it, I would have thought kids would love it. You have to book as far ahead as possible to get decent prices, which means checking every day to see if the dates you want are on the system yet and pouncing.

I've given them a call & if I get a family railcard for £25 there is a huge discount on the sleeper tickets.

£300 each way all sharing one room down to £314 return with 2 interconnecting rooms.

Will be heading down to the nearest station to get a family railcard.

It was good while First ran it as part of the ScotRail franchise. But since it was split off into its own franchise, it's apparently gone downhill especially in terms of reliability. A couple of weeks ago, the Inverness portion broke down just south of Aviemore and stayed there all night before heading back up to Inverness.

I've checked and they've said you can claim a refund if it's late. 50% if it's an hour late & full refund if it's later than that.

Book it yonks in advance and you save yourself a fair whack. Leave it to the last minute, and you're crying all the way to the bank. It's not a horrible experience if you get a berth. Sitting up all night is no fun, and you get off with this horrible feeling like you're drunk and bleary eyed.

ETA: it's kind of fun for a one off, with some beautiful scenery if you get it in high summer or winter.

Used it about 20 times over the years, an enjoyable experience if you like your bed being rocked.

Prices seem to have gone up since the new guys came on but as mentioned - its a hundred times better than the National Express.

Archived