By election updates

Mr Rational

49 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

Far right (or deemed as far right) politics never hold sway in Britain, UKIP have one solitary MP, that's how it will remain. That they collect a decent amount of votes from swerving Labour voters baffles me.

That's because Labour voters, much like their elected representatives are arsehats, almost to a man.

I didnae vote @ Brexit.
Our southern neighbours decided for me (and you).
you'll get your way 3-5 years
Whit, Indy in 3-5 years.
I'll take it :thumsup2

Aye Willie, just my own opinion, but regretfully resigned to it. It's difficult to argue otherwise. Still think it will be close, but when a 2nd Ref comes, Scotland will vote Yes.

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

rUK desperately needs a credible left-of-centre political party to offer an alternative to the Tories' austerity agenda.  Sadly i do not see such a force emerging any time soon.

As long as they don't look a bit weird and can eat a bacon sandwich properly.

29 minutes ago, Fide said:

That's because Labour voters, much like their elected representatives are arsehats, almost to a man.

I can think of a few political parties where that sums up their voters.

26 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

Aye Willie, just my own opinion, but regretfully resigned to it. It's difficult to argue otherwise. Still think it will be close, but when a 2nd Ref comes, Scotland will vote Yes.

Of course it is :thumsup2

Although I expected both seats to remain Labour, admittedly without mulling too hard over either of them, I wasn't overly surprised when I read this morning that the Tories had gained Copeland. If the swing in Stoke were replicated across the country, that would result in a 40 seat majority for the Tories. If the swing in Copeland were replicated across the country, that would result in a 114 seat majority for the Tories. You would expect, with an eye to historical trends, that Labour, as an opposition, will decline even further from its midterm position. None of these bode particularly well for Labour's fortunes at the next general election, to say the least.

McDonnell's attempt to shift some of the blame to Blair's Brexit intervention, whatever your personal view on Blair, is desperate and incoherent. I mean, Corbyn's position on Brexit is closer to the Tories - the winners in Copeland, a majority Leave area - than Blair's position is, for a start. If voters in Copeland did agree that Labour were the 'facilitators of Brexit', as Blair alleged and McDonnell objected to, you would expect that to help more than hinder them with Copeland's electorate in mind. There are maybe some things in Labour you can blame on Blair, sure, but I think McDonnell might be stretching that one just a little bit too far.

Copeland was settled on Corbyn's views on nuclear power - nothing else. The area is already on the edge of nowhere and having had most of its industry removed, if the nuclear industry weapons goes then you'd be as well throwing it in the sea. Same as places like Barrow if BAE goes - they're fucked given their locations. 

2 hours ago, DrewDon said:

McDonnell's attempt to shift some of the blame to Blair's Brexit intervention, whatever your personal view on Blair, is desperate and incoherent. I mean, Corbyn's position on Brexit is closer to the Tories - the winners in Copeland, a majority Leave area - than Blair's position is, for a start. If voters in Copeland did agree that Labour were the 'facilitators of Brexit', as Blair alleged and McDonnell objected to, you would expect that to help more than hinder them with Copeland's electorate in mind. There are maybe some things in Labour you can blame on Blair, sure, but I think McDonnell might be stretching that one just a little bit too far.

Have you, or anyone else, ever heard McDonnell say anything sensible?  I listened to him on the Today programme this morning and he was dull, anodyne and pointless...just like his big pal Jeremy.

9 minutes ago, kilbowie2002 said:

Theresa May said something along the lines of the success in Copeland shows the Conservatives appeal in England, shes not even pretending to represent the whole of the 'UK'. what a fucking joke.

And if she'd mentioned "the Conservatives sic appeal in Britain" you'd have excoriated her.  Lose, lose for you.

Edited by The_Kincardine

Theresa May said something along the lines of the success in Copeland shows the Conservatives appeal in England, shes not even pretending to represent the whole of the 'UK'. what a fucking joke.

As kinkardine has obliquely pointed out your criticising a politician for her honesty

1 minute ago, kilbowie2002 said:

Tories, BBC, broadcast media. A large proportion of the English population are also guilty of it. Its this lack of understanding that England isnt the centre of the fucking universe which drives me mental.

It isn't though, and this truth is well appreciated "down here".