The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/nemanja-matics-manchester-united-shirt-13527947

Shocking stuff.
Matic clearly doesn't care about symbols of British nationalism. 

Probably not keen due to the NATO bombing of Serbia during the war in Kosovo and would probably have had all kinds of nutters giving him a hard time for wearing one. People should turn a blind eye and not make a fuss in situations like that.

2 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

Oh I’m sorry, I thought you were being serious WB.

No need to apologise, just a wee joke. With the opioid crisis going on in America they might be thinking about changing the Professor's choice of memorial flower though, in Georgia at least.

The sanctimonious poppy stazi patrolling my local pub questioning why i don't wear one always seem to come up short when asked if they also wear the variety of ribbons and bands, etc,  for prostate cancer, breast cancer et al throughout the year.  For some reason  it appears they only do their public display with the poppy.

Years ago when i was younger i did buy one and wore it  without really thinking too much about  the genuine reasons behind it.  However, progressively the symbol was hijacked by unionistas  and latterly the Govan shower as a means of publicly showing their allegiance to the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha's.  Ironically, and what they don't see, is that their queen and armed forces were at the fore of those who were "royally" shafted when they undertook their industrial scale tax and national insurance cheating that caused the premature death of their club.

I'll just continue giving my charitable donations to CHAS.

“They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn’t want to be broken.” Your abuse, your throwing things, your booing, do your worst.. to the home fans that are actually educated and support me, thank yous.. to the section of uneducated cavemen in left hand corner of the boothen end stand that want to song their anti irish song each game and call me a ****** this and that.. i am a PROUD ****** no c@#t will ever change that, so sing away

James McClean on James McClean.  

42 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

The sanctimonious poppy stazi patrolling my local pub questioning why i don't wear one always seem to come up short when asked if they also wear the variety of ribbons and bands, etc,  for prostate cancer, breast cancer et al throughout the year.  For some reason  it appears they only do their public display with the poppy.

Years ago when i was younger i did buy one and wore it  without really thinking too much about  the genuine reasons behind it.  However, progressively the symbol was hijacked by unionistas  and latterly the Govan shower as a means of publicly showing their allegiance to the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha's.  Ironically, and what they don't see, is that their queen and armed forces were at the fore of those who were "royally" shafted when they undertook their industrial scale tax and national insurance cheating that caused the premature death of their club.

I'll just continue giving my charitable donations to CHAS.

I think you're giving them a run for their money in the sanctimonious stakes.

Im not being sanctimonious at all.  I merely object to the once a year public showing off of certain individuals who use this as an opportunity to show unswerving support for their "cause".  If these same people also displayed the ribbons, badges, etc, for the other charitable causes throughout the year then i would give them a modicum of credence.   However, it only seems to be this one that they want to be seen supporting.  Each to their own.  Its not for me for the reasons stated.

2 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

Im not being sanctimonious at all.  I merely object to the once a year public showing off of certain individuals who use this as an opportunity to show unswerving support for their "cause".  If these same people also displayed the ribbons, badges, etc, for the other charitable causes throughout the year then i would give them a modicum of credence.   However, it only seems to be this one that they want to be seen supporting.  Each to their own.  Its not for me for the reasons stated.

Maybe it's the only one they do support.

I contribute to various charities and if they give me a sticker etc, I wear it. (If only to show another a collector that I have contributed!)

8 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

I've not bought one for years and have never been challenged about it in any circumstances.

16 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
38 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:
I've not bought one for years and have never been challenged about it in any circumstances.

Why haven't you bought one?

Same reasons as most.  I don't like what it's become. That doesn't mean the other preachy side are any less irritating.