The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

F*ck, nothing gets past you does it?

Aye, you're not wrong all the time.

Not one of my finer posts, admittedly! :lol:

Edited by Jacksgranda

I read an interview with an American soldier who had a pretty terrifying time in Iraq, who said he cringed when people thanked him for his service. "I didn't join up for you or the flag, I just wanted to blow shit up."

24 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I read an interview with an American soldier who had a pretty terrifying time in Iraq, who said he cringed when people thanked him for his service. "I didn't join up for you or the flag, I just wanted to blow shit up."

:lol:

As i said earlier with the whole poppy thing - its each to their own.  What irked me was the fact that these people, who were fully in favour of their annual crusade wearing and showing off their support for it, were trying to foist their own opinions on me and trying to lay a guilt thang  for not buying/wearing one.

Ah'll dae ma ain thing, thanks.

4 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Refreshingly honest (if a bit scary)

Most folk in the USA join the military because it pays a decent wage and there’s a shortage of jobs.

Many people in the UK will join for the same reason.

The portrayal of it being for patriotic reasons is totally laughable.

In the book and series Generation Kill the Marines are dismissive of the overt patriotism. There’s a funny bit where they take the piss out of one of them for having his picture in the Walmart Wall Of Heroes.

On 03/11/2018 at 17:40, Oooooft said:

St Margaret's in Knightswood.

Lovely Remembering blanket made of hand knitted poppy's, hung outside in the pissing rain.

KO9ejXo.jpg

When I mentioned buildings vomiting poppies, it was exactly this kind of thing I had in mind...