I was plittering about home yesterday doing some odd jobs and Barry (maybe Barrie) Bucknell came to my mind. How many people can remember him? I think he was the first DIY man on television. The idea of cordless electric tools would have been laughed at as sorcery back in his day, but he was the first man I ever saw using what was the latest high-tech invention, the Yankee screwdriver. He wasn't into building big fancy houses or home make-overs but if you wanted to see how to make or repair a chair or table or build a rabbit hutch or a little unit to set your ornaments on, then he was your must-see man. Do any auld duffers remember him or any other of the early tv "stars"?

I was plittering about home yesterday doing some odd jobs and Barry (maybe Barrie) Bucknell came to my mind. How many people can remember him? I think he was the first DIY man on television. The idea of cordless electric tools would have been laughed at as sorcery back in his day, but he was the first man I ever saw using what was the latest high-tech invention, the Yankee screwdriver. He wasn't into building big fancy houses or home make-overs but if you wanted to see how to make or repair a chair or table or build a rabbit hutch or a little unit to set your ornaments on, then he was your must-see man. Do any auld duffers remember him or any other of the early tv "stars"?

Next you'll be saying there was a Percy Thrower.

There was a clip of Barry on tv last week making wooden pelmets as they were all the rage in 1961

Always a risky strategy to plan things for when you are older, best to do something outrageous every day just in case.

Possibly sage advice?

I'd be concerned that a visit to the Flying Duck Nightclub could become a Dying ( Ach! you know )

On from all the telly stuff!

I have forgotten lots of useful stuff but! this has never left me

Monday - Watch with Mother

Tuesday - Andy Pandy

Wednesday - The Flowerpot Men

Thursday - Rag Tag and Bobtail

Friday - The Woodentops

Sad :(

On from all the telly stuff!

I have forgotten lots of useful stuff but! this has never left me

Monday - Watch with Mother

Tuesday - Andy Pandy

Wednesday - The Flowerpot Men

Thursday - Rag Tag and Bobtail

Friday - The Woodentops

Sad :(

The Flowerpot Men & Rag Tag and Bobtail were the pick of them. Remember Tales of the Riverbank?

I got my gran all excited about Percy Thrower when I was a wean. I was at a garden centre with my mum, and she told me to meet my gran at the cafe as she was "going to get Percy". I relayed the message, and my gran spent a minute wondering who Percy was, before exclaiming "Percy Thrower?!" and belting off to see if she could find him.

When they got back, it turned out that I'd misheard my mum saying "Parsley". Oh, how we laughed.

What's green and sings, BTW?