Loki's Film Quiz

Albino Rover

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only know two, not worth entering! :lol:

In this quiz they will be rakes of rounds, with lots of points up for grabs. You may only get two this week, but you're more than likely to follow that up with a big score next week. Two points might come in handy at the end of the quiz.

In this quiz they will be rakes of rounds, with lots of points up for grabs. You may only get two this week, but you're more than likely to follow that up with a big score next week. Two points might come in handy at the end of the quiz.

On reflection I entered anyway (actually when I read some people only knew 1 I thought I'd be as well going for it and guessing others anyway).

Round 1 Answers

1. 1896

(The train film was not part of the original Lumiere cinematographe montage reel shown to the public in 1895, it was released later than that, as the first ever feature movie: that’s part of why it’s so iconic. But because it’s the first round and, who knows, it may technically have been screened privately in 1895, I have awarded half a mark for that answer.)

2. Ford Kiernan

3. Edwin S. Porter

4. Marion Mack

5. Stage Fright

6. Gare Montparnasse
(No points for "the big one in Paris" I'm afraid.)

7. Del Griffith

8. Slumdog Millionaire

9. Drag me To Hell

(Some of you said Spider-Man 2. There is a very prominent scene on a train line fairly late in that film, so, again, because it’s the first round, I have given half a mark.)

10. Lionel Jeffries

Leaderboard

post-33771-0-07238000-1449273973_thumb.p

A very impressive start by our new sponsor, but the best set of answers was definitely from DA Baracus. Some unlucky guesses, but sadly Mr. T did not direct The Great Train Robbery and my mum had nothing to do with Buster Keaton's masterpiece.

That will have been one of the more difficult rounds. Fear not, it's a long quiz and there will be something for everyone along the way.

I'll post Round 2 tomorrow.

Definitely slumdog millionaired that round. There is quite a few legends about the first screening of "L'Arivée D'un Train en Gare de la Ciotat" including people screaming and running out of the cinema, as they thought the train would come through the screen into the theatre. None of it substantiated, but almost believable. Cinema at that time was made to shock and awe people at that time.

Albino, if you can keep the film questions in the pre 1960s that would be splendid :thumsup2

Round 1 Answers

1. 1896

(The train film was not part of the original Lumiere cinematographe montage reel shown to the public in 1895, it was released later than that, as the first ever feature movie: that’s part of why it’s so iconic. But because it’s the first round and, who knows, it may technically have been screened privately in 1895, I have awarded half a mark for that answer.)

2. Ford Kiernan

3. Edwin S. Porter

4. Marion Mack

5. Stage Fright

6. Gare Montparnasse

(No points for "the big one in Paris" I'm afraid.)

7. Del Griffith

8. Slumdog Millionaire

9. Drag me To Hell

(Some of you said Spider-Man 2. There is a very prominent scene on a train line fairly late in that film, so, again, because it’s the first round, I have given half a mark.)

10. Lionel Jeffries

Leaderboard

attachicon.gifLeaderboard1.png

A very impressive start by our new sponsor, but the best set of answers was definitely from DA Baracus. Some unlucky guesses, but sadly Mr. T did not direct The Great Train Robbery and my mum had nothing to do with Buster Keaton's masterpiece.

That will have been one of the more difficult rounds. Fear not, it's a long quiz and there will be something for everyone along the way.

I'll post Round 2 tomorrow.

Oi you, I said Spiderman 2 where's my half point.

Round 2: Life Stories

A simple premise to this round: you have ten titles of films which depict famous people from real life. Whom is each film about?

To avoid any confusion or smart-arsery, I’ll confirm: I’m looking for the main character in each one. If the film was “Lawrence Of Arabia” and you answered “Prince Faisal”, or if for "The Aviator" you said "Howard Hughes' mum", you’d get zilch.

Here are your movies:

1. Man On The Moon

2. I’m Not There

3. My Left Foot

4. The Lady

5. A Beautiful Mind

6. Coal Miner’s Daughter

7. The Motorcycle Diaries

8. I Saw The Light

9. Raging Bull

10. La Vie En Rose

Send your answers to me by midnight on Friday.

Good luck.

8. Which 21st century Oscar-winning film ends with a dance scene at one of the busiest train stations in the world?

I completely misread this question and just saw "dance scene" and "busiest train stations". Of course I answered - The Fisher King.

That'll teach me to read the questions!.

Nice one! Every little helps when you're up against Loki the googler :P

I absolutely refute the allegation that I use google. It's yahoo I use.

I think I have seven in this round. Two I haven't heard of and I fucked up question four.

There's five I think I know for sure, one I can't properly remember and think I got the Christian name wrong, three I'd never heard of and one I have seen a few times and don't know the person's name :1eye

Good round

Archived