Dundee to play Celtic in the US.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently everything has been arranged, agreed and permission granted with the exception of the MLS and CONCACAF.

I can see me sacrificing a trip home to see the family next year to go to see the first stage in Nelmsy's plan for world domination.

I'm not really sure what to think. It's another example of football being taken away from the core supporters- literally.

I hope the viability of this experiment isn't hinging on an expected attendance. It's not as if the locals don't get to see 'soccer' played there and the standard is usually significantly higher involving teams with greater profiles. Even then they can't fill the ground.

This could turn out to be a massive egg on puss moment.

That said, I'm curious to see how this will play out. Maybe Nelmsy will embark on a stellar marketing campaign and we'll break our attendance record. However maybe he'll flop and we'll only manage to break United's...

£400,000.

That's one Stevie May. Of course Dundee should be moving one game for that figure.

Actually it's half a Stevie May, but your point is perfectly valid. It's a large sum for just one game.

It's just as well its Dundee and Celtic playing this game, as it seems to only be the majority of their fans that think it's a good idea.

Once Keyes and Nelms get us established as a global brand these jealous diddies will be queuing up at the door for an overseas fixture for a piece of The Dark Blue Pound.

Once Keyes and Nelms get us established as a global brand these jealous diddies will be queuing up at the door for an overseas fixture for a piece of The Dark Blue Pound.

There will be a statue of Kane Hemmings doing his goggle celebration on top of those steps in Philadelphia after this game.

It's just as well its Dundee and Celtic playing this game, as it seems to only be the majority of their fans that think it's a good idea.

If it was Rangers v Motherwell in Toronto pretty sure a large portion of their fans would be happy with it and us and Celtic fans would be slating it. That's just how fitba fans think.

There are other concerns about this game being played in Philadelphia. Is it in the West of the city? Because I hear there's been some trouble there lately. Seemingly there are a couple up of guys up to no good

Can you guys link the announcement or article or whatever that re-ignited this yesterday? Or was this on TV? 

Obviously there's like 50 people discussing it so I missed some announcement or report, but man, this whole idea sounds so crazy that I want to read it myself.

I'm for it. If it doesn't work, then so be it. At least Dundee have tried something different. Worst case, I expect it will bring in some money.

It won't bring in any new fans for Dundee though. Claims that it will are off the mark. The majority of fans there will be curious neutrals and Celtic fans.

Nobody enjoys Celtic at Dens anyway

Actually it's half a Stevie May, but your point is perfectly valid. It's a large sum for just one game.

The fee was never confirmed. It suited both parties to big the figure up. Given what a spectacular flop Stevie has been, and no add ons achieved 400k is probably optimistic.

In general I'm not really in favour of this USA lark but IF we did make 400k out of it it's worth a punt.

There are other concerns about this game being played in Philadelphia. Is it in the West of the city? Because I hear there's been some trouble there lately. Seemingly there are a couple up of guys up to no good

It was just one little fight.

I loike it.

Who really enjoys home matches v Celtic anyway? I reckon it's generally amongst the lowest turn out of home fans for St Johnstone over a season, and would imagine it's the same at most clubs.

Chance to see your team play a competitive game in the USA probably only once in your lifetime.. I'd be tempted. It might not increase the number of Dundee fans, but you can't argue it will raise the profile of the club; in Scotland and internationally. It will probably help attract sponsors as well.

If season ticket holders are okay with it I think why not give it a whirl, nothing to lose. All we ever read about on P&B is how poorly marketed our game is, especially compared to down south, and at last someone's doing something a bit different which no other club in Europe have done .. yet. It's good that our league will be involved in something new ahead of other leagues/ countries.

I'd love to see a St Johnstone v Killie derby match in the desert dome in Las Vegas, what an away trip that would be... Make it happen Steve.

I'm not really sure what to think. It's another example of football being taken away from the core supporters- literally.

I hope the viability of this experiment isn't hinging on an expected attendance. It's not as if the locals don't get to see 'soccer' played there and the standard is usually significantly higher involving teams with greater profiles. Even then they can't fill the ground.

This could turn out to be a massive egg on puss moment.

That said, I'm curious to see how this will play out. Maybe Nelmsy will embark on a stellar marketing campaign and we'll break our attendance record. However maybe he'll flop and we'll only manage to break United's...

Are you actually joking? Although it has been improving in recent years, the standard of football in MLS is fucking pish.

Archived