Dundee to play Celtic in the US.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the game's in Boston, then the assumption would be that they'd manage to attract a massive crowd of wannabe Irish fans who want to explore their special connections with Celtic, and that that they'd be able to charge them something like £40 a pop for tickets.

The Gillette Stadium holds just under 70,000.

The notion of 70,000 people paying $40 to watch Dundee and Celtic so they can connect with their Irish roots is laughable. Surely even Americans aren't that stupid.

An absolutely rotten idea. The whole joy of playing for Dundee FC is scoring a home goal in a big game and running over to the Derry while the fans spill down the front going aff their nuts. The whole joy as an opposing player is scoring at Dens and riling up the Derry.

Moreover, the paying public here get totally shafted over again, as Celtic fans in Scotland are not likely to be able to go to Boston for a game and Dundee fans lose a game off their season books. Celtic would presumably have a large advantage in terms of crowd in Boston or Philadelphia.

Globe trotting "glamour games" are for pre season, not for during it. The MLS have every right to object to it too, given it will be taking place in their back yard.

Overall, a total clusterfuck, but who cares about the fans when a little bit extra money can be made.

I can't be arsed to pick it all apart but as almost everyone has pointed out it's an insane idea for so many reasons. The only time it's worth doing is pre season and even then I don't think anyone would take much notice of it except "Irish" fans.

The only positives are it would be a good trip as it would have the novelty factor like Speroni's testimonial and we wouldn't have to go to Dens to watch us get pumped. The negatives are we would then be known by Americans as being the team that gets pumped by at least 4 goals by trying to defend deep in their own half the whole game.

I went to my first MLS game a month ago, it works for them but thinking of our attempts at trying to do that makes me cringe.

This'll be more like a home game for Celtic than even a game at Parkhead, given that it'll be attended by loads of barely-functioning alcoholics with spurious notions of Irish ancestry and ties to the "old country".

A fucking ridiculous idea however.

That's just it. Never mind Boston as a stronghold of plastic c***s with stupid accents, how many people anywhere in America are going to be the least bit interested in Dundee before or after the game?

No offence to Dundee but this is isn't a "let's all promote Scottish football!" move so much as a marketing ploy to elevate Celtic's financial advantage on everyone else. Only one team would benefit. To the sea with it.

I do not like the idea at all. Home games should be played at home, not franchised out to the other side of the world at the expense of actual attending fans.

That too.

Am I the only one wondering what happens when this is all in place early for next season and then we get relegated?

Apart from that I can't see it doing any harm.

They replace Dundee with some other fodder for Celtic, obviously.

The notion of 70,000 people paying $40 to watch Dundee and Celtic so they can connect with their Irish roots is laughable. Surely even Americans aren't that stupid.

One of the daftest things I've seen posted on P&B for a long time.

I'm not opposed to the idea, though I'm not sure how successful it would be. Some folk rightly criticise those who run the game for doing nothing so I think it's a bit harsh to criticise them when they try to do something.

No offence to Dundee but this is isn't a "let's all promote Scottish football!" move so much as a marketing ploy to elevate Celtic's financial advantage on everyone else. Only one team would benefit. To the sea with it.

Yes, that's what's happened. Dundee's director John Nelms was sitting in his office at Dens, daydreaming about ways in which he could make Celtic financially better off. What a mug you are.

As has been mentioned before, people always greet when nothing is done to raise the profile of the Scottish game. So when a club takes it upon themselves to show a bit of initiative and try something different everyone is on their backs?! Dour-faced b*****ds!

It might work, it might not. Give it a chance.

Yes, that's what's happened. Dundee's director John Nelms was sitting in his office at Dens, daydreaming about ways in which he could make Celtic financially better off. What a mug you are.

As has been mentioned before, people always greet when nothing is done to raise the profile of the Scottish game. So when a club takes it upon themselves to show a bit of initiative and try something different everyone is on their backs?! Dour-faced b*****ds!

Well said

I reckon it would be better just to sell Scottish fitba on one of those US shopping channels, QVC for example.

They could get Ross King to do it.

Great idea they could sell some Aberdeen stuff, you know...broken bottles, shitty bed sheets.

Sure, why not remove Celtic from the equation then and have a Dundee Derby or some close odds game with a bit of bite to it and see if the idea still takes off?

If they want to raise the profile of the Scottish game they can start here in Scotland by doing away with the tired format we have and maybe expand the top flight with more promotion and relegation between the leagues.

Archived