Dundee to play Celtic in the US.

I would think if this goes ahead there will be a lot of publicity around the first European league fixture to be played in the States (or anywhere overseas??). This would be attractive to sponsors surely. It might help Dundee get extra income for shirt/ pitchside sponsorship etc in the summer as surely its a major selling point?

I wouldn't want it to be a regular thing at all, but if season tickets were reduced accordingly, and the majority of Dundee fans were happy with it, then go for it.

The point about doing more to promote our game at home to get more folk at matches is a valid one and definitely needs improved massively. But playing a game in USA doesn't affect this at all. It could even be used as a catalyst to start boosting our league at home as well.

This!

Im all for it.

The world seems to think Scottish football is shite, however I dont have that view and many on here are season ticket holders at their clubs so obviously dont find it shite either. Scottish football is highly under rated.

This could bring in a large TV audience and if done once or twice a season (rotated round clubs and countries) could bring investment to the Scottish game.

It could be a great away day experience for fans of teams who are not regular in european compititions.

The clubs however would have to reduce the season tickets accordingly but could show it at the home ground on a big screen with a fan zone type atmosphere (beer's, bbq etc...)

Lets try it out and if it works then great and if not then at least we will know!

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the game's in Boston, then the assumption would be that they'd manage to attract a massive crowd of wannabe Irish fans who want to explore their special connections with Celtic, and that that they'd be able to charge them something like £40 a pop for tickets.

The Gillette Stadium holds just under 70,000.

During our last visit to the US, we played Real Madrid in Philadelphia and if memory serves me the stadium held 70,000 with the attendance being shy of 40,000. If we couldn't get a sell out for a game against Real Madrid in a city that has more "Irish" people than Boston, I doubt we'd be looking at 70,000 tickets being sold for a game against Dundee. If this were to go ahead then I think 30,000 plus would be a realistic number to be looking at.

I'm interested to hear how Dundee will stand to "raise a large amount of cash". Can you explain?

The proposal is that this game is played in a 69000 seater stadium in an Irish quarter. This would no doubt attract "fans" due to the bespoke nature of the game. As its Dundee's home game and not a cup game this would mean gate receipts going to the Dee's. There would also be potential of sponsorship for a one off match such as this.

It isn't going to be done in order to cost us. We would be losing what would be one of our biggest home crowds of the season of this went ahead. Our owners aren't idiots. They know how to make a dollar, hence their millions.

How realistic is it that this proposal will gain the approval of the necessary (non-Scottish) organisations? I suspect it will be waved through by SFA and SPFL... hopes of money making and OF club wanting it are probably enough in itself, and to heck with anything else... but it should also need approval of FIFA, UEFA, CONCACAF and US Soccer. Plus potentially MLS? I'm not clear on their input, tbf.

Only last week MLS was saying they remain totally opposed to ideas of playing EPL games in their territory... If they allow Scottish Premiership games can they then block EPL or La Liga games?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34869907

No real precedents currently as I can't remember any domestic leagues or cups going 'on tour', only Italian & French supercups.

It would be stupid to play an Old Firm game abroad, the toxic atmosphere is pretty much the only selling point of it.

Oh I don't know. America could be the best place for the OF. Free guns at the turnstiles. Job done.

There's a Boston in Lincolnshire. Maybe Partick could come down and play Hamilton.

It would appear my comments are just as bizarre as the notion of league games abroad :lol:

Carry on.

The reality is Dundee would be giving up a home game most of their loyal supporters would go to, to play in basically a Celtic home game. They'd get pumped Celtic would make a fortune especially if in Boston and Dundee would return forgotten about with a pat on the head.

Shite idea.

What if Dundee get relegated? Game would go ahead without them, most Americans probably only interested in seeing Celtic anyway n McGowan has nae chance of getting anywhere near the States!!!!!

Just saying what if Dundee get relegated, could happen?

Stan, quite clearly it is difficult to put a monetary value on what Dundee will make out of it but I imagine their chairman will have done enough due diligence before proposing an idea like this, which suggests to me that Dundee will be making a very health sum from it.

I don't see any issues with the idea at all, it might get a massive crowd, it might bring more sponsorship money, might bring a big TV audience and an increased level of interest in Scottish football....then again it might not do any of that. The way I look at it, its a no lose situation for both clubs and Scottish football, a lot of good might come from it or we remain as we are, I don't see it doing any harm to Scottish football.

Only issue I would have is if Dundee fans were not given a decent discount on their season tickets to take this into account.

Where's the extra sponsorship coming from? The game's a Ladbrokes Premiership game so it's already sponsored. Strips are already sponsored. TV rights for SPFL games are already sold.

It's a home game for Dundee so how does that effect the Dens advertisers who will miss out on one of the biggest crowds of the season at Dens? Presumably Dundee will need to treat them as the season ticket holders with any new Boston advertising probably taken up by Celtic lapdogs.

I'd be amazed if Celtic would agree to this if all they were getting was their expenses covered. There must at least be a guaranteed fee or cut of the crowd involved.

Looks like Dundee will have a fair bit of compensation and expenditure to deal with before it becoming the money spinner it's apparently going to be. What will the new income sources be?

Stan, quite clearly it is difficult to put a monetary value on what Dundee will make out of it but I imagine their chairman will have done enough due diligence before proposing an idea like this, which suggests to me that Dundee will be making a very health sum from it.

I don't see any issues with the idea at all, it might get a massive crowd, it might bring more sponsorship money, might bring a big TV audience and an increased level of interest in Scottish football....then again it might not do any of that. The way I look at it, its a no lose situation for both clubs and Scottish football, a lot of good might come from it or we remain as we are, I don't see it doing any harm to Scottish football.

Only issue I would have is if Dundee fans were not given a decent discount on their season tickets to take this into account.

You can't see the harm in sending Scottish league matches away to places that there might be a bit more money involved for the club but the average paying fan will be completely unable to attend?

Where's the extra sponsorship coming from? The game's a Ladbrokes Premiership game so it's already sponsored. Strips are already sponsored. TV rights for SPFL games are already sold.

It's a home game for Dundee so how does that effect the Dens advertisers who will miss out on one of the biggest crowds of the season at Dens? Presumably Dundee will need to treat them as the season ticket holders with any new Boston advertising probably taken up by Celtic lapdogs.

I'd be amazed if Celtic would agree to this if all they were getting was their expenses covered. There must at least be a guaranteed fee or cut of the crowd involved.

Looks like Dundee will have a fair bit of compensation and expenditure to deal with before it becoming the money spinner it's apparently going to be. What will the new income sources be?

Agree with this.

Once we have paid for flights and accomodation for probably at least a week for 25-30 staff, insurance, probably contributed to Celtic's travel costs, possibly even pay for use of a stadium etc etc how much money would we actually make? Would it be that much more than 4000 Celtic fans paying £25 to get into Dens?

Hasn't got the MLS several teams that are better than both Dundee and Celtic these days?

I also doubt whether the Irish contingents in Boston are still interested in Celtic or have switched their allegiance to the EPL and Barca/Real Madrid, as has basically the entire global audience of football (including the Irish in Ireland).

If you really want to try this out, create a community shield match between champion and cup winner and play that one abroad, like the French and Italians.

Hasn't got the MLS several teams that are better than both Dundee and Celtic these days?

I also doubt whether the Irish contingents in Boston are still interested in Celtic or have switched their allegiance to the EPL and Barca/Real Madrid, as has basically the entire global audience of football (including the Irish in Ireland).

If you really want to try this out, create a community shield match between champion and cup winner and play that one abroad, like the French and Italians.

It's difficult to accurately compare the standards in MLS and here but it would seem daft to suggest that standard of New England Revolution home games is so far behind the SPFL that Dundee vs Celtic would seem like a rare feast of top quality football for Bostonians.

Agree with this.

Once we have paid for flights and accomodation for probably at least a week for 25-30 staff, insurance, probably contributed to Celtic's travel costs, possibly even pay for use of a stadium etc etc how much money would we actually make? Would it be that much more than 4000 Celtic fans paying £25 to get into Dens?

Yep, I think definitely you'd have to cover Celtic travel costs and give them money on top of it, some share of revenue probably.

Major league stadiums in the US cost about £100k to rent for an event (including security, staff etc), plus they usually keep any hospitality box revenue and a portion or sometimes all of food / drinks revenue.

Marketing costs will probably be big, especially if the game is in the autumn, during the NFL / NBA / NHL / college / MLS seasons, when people in Philly and Boston have a lot of great sports options. People won't know what's a Dundee, and Celtic is no Barcelona either today, so people will have to be sold on this event, and that takes money.

USSF and MLS would also probably have to be paid, otherwise why would USSF allow some other league to play games in their territory. IF they allow it at all.

Also, the club wouldn't just lose 4000 Celtic fans, but also home fans for that game, season ticket revenues would reflect it, hospitality suite sales in Dundee would bring less money.

Maybe it could get a lot of buzz as "the first official European leagues game on the US soil" and attract a huge crowd and it would be a big financial success. But tbh, I doubt this will happen, it just seems risky financially and there's USSF / FIFA red tape.

Archived