Greenock Morton v Hibernian

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I reckon we should have O'Ware and Lamie as out centre backs, although mistake last night notwithstanding Kilday has been decent at CB. o'Ware is good in the air and loses very few headers, whereas he's mediocre at best in midfield - why is he even in midfield anyway?

Denny has been a major disappointment and if he thinks he has a future at Birmingham he's going to have to improve a lot. He has ability but he appears a bit lethargic and as for being a striker - more a midfielder I'd say. His finishing is woeful.

Samuel should be on from the start. Not the biggest but he isn't afraid to mix it and he has searing pace which Denny lacks. I don't have the faith in Declan McManus that others seem to have - he was excellent last season but at a lower level - but he also has pace and chases lost causes. Nearly nicked a goal last night by chasing down the keeper and beating him to the ball. With a bit of luck he could have got the ball under control and scored, or been pulled down for a straight red for the keeper. i would start him and Samuel on Saturday and if Denny is still in the team play him deeper, behind the strikers, to try to fill that gap we always leave about 30 yards out from goal at both ends of the pitch.

Hibs looked decent but we should have got a point from that at least - if we could create chances we would have. High balls into the area is not the way to do that and our set pieces are horrendously poor and predictable. Also need our midfield strengthened, and I would get Tidser on from the start as he is the nearest thing we have to a proper midfielder.

Really frustrating stuff last night.

Aside from Gaston's wonder save and a few trundling efforts, Hibs didn't look like scoring until we gifted them one.

The real problem lay at the other end. Our crossing was awful, our corners and free kicks were awful and our final ball was awful. The goals for have dried up and we are still conceding - meaning that once we fall behind there is no way back.

At Paisley we scored from a rebound, at Ibrox we scored through one OG and one piece of crap defending, against Raith we scored from a rebound, and we scored at Livi because it was Livi.

We need to create more and learn to cross - sadly all basic stuff.

Archived