New Forth Road Bridge - Open/Closed still shit

D.A.F.C

But surely these are the same 'links' that the existing bridge is linked to.  What appears to be happening is that the traffic comes off the Fife side on to a choice of two bridges then merges again on the Lothian side.  Strikes me as a bit strange, but then again I am not a road designer/traffic expert.

They won't have a choice of two bridges though, at least not for a long while

And linking the new bridge to the M9 instead of the A90 would push the Fife traffic through the same channels into Edinburgh as the West Lothian traffic making matters worse

Building a short cut from Livingston to the bridge might be a good idea but connecting Fife to livi is a byproduct of connecting it to Edinburgh

5 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

But surely these are the same 'links' that the existing bridge is linked to.  What appears to be happening is that the traffic comes off the Fife side on to a choice of two bridges then merges again on the Lothian side.  Strikes me as a bit strange, but then again I am not a road designer/traffic expert.

17 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

They won't have a choice of two bridges though, at least not for a long while

And linking the new bridge to the M9 instead of the A90 would push the Fife traffic through the same channels into Edinburgh as the West Lothian traffic making matters worse

Building a short cut from Livingston to the bridge might be a good idea but connecting Fife to livi is a byproduct of connecting it to Edinburgh

To be clear, the only thing that will have changed after next Thursday will be that only public transport will be using the old bridge and the new bridge will be 70 limit.

The same route options on the south(A90 to Edinburgh, M9 or M8 via Newbridge) will still be in place, as will,effectively, the same pinch points immediately north and south of the new bridge with local traffic joining.

I would imagine there will still be significant congestion at peak times but hopefully not quite as bad.

3 hours ago, LiviClyde said:

To be clear, the only thing that will have changed after next Thursday will be that only public transport will be using the old bridge and the new bridge will be 70 limit.

The same route options on the south(A90 to Edinburgh, M9 or M8 via Newbridge) will still be in place, as will,effectively, the same pinch points immediately north and south of the new bridge with local traffic joining.

I would imagine there will still be significant congestion at peak times but hopefully not quite as bad.

Hopefully pished lorry drivers will be dragged onto the hard shoulders instead of stopping traffic. That's a new thing.

Edited by welshbairn

Seems to me the reason for the new bridge is solely to prevent havoc when the other one needs to be closed for extensive repairs. Look at the situation last time the bridge had to be closed for a long period. 

Having 2 bridges ending up connecting to the existing infrastructure won't do anything to ease rush hour congestion - if anything it may get worse. There definitely needs to be more work done on the south side to take the pressure off junction 1 on approach to Newbridge. 

30 minutes ago, LiviClyde said:

Think it'll be a good few months before the new bridge goes to 70, and public transport starts using the old one. They're closing the FRB entirely until "autumn" to carry out the proper repairs that were needed from last winter. 40mph until then so it'll be a while before we truly see if it'll help congestion. I don't see how it possibly will given it's the same road layout but you never know, I suppose.

I think it'd have made sense to link the A90 and M9 further up the M9, you're never going to stop the mayhem as the Fife traffic meets West Lothian but at the moment they meet at Newbridge meaning two from four lanes are blocked entirely. The only reason the two outside lanes get jammed is M9 traffic stopping to get into the Newbridge lanes. Dragging that meeting a couple of miles back up the road would be a good thing and it wouldn't surprise me if they look into it eventually. 

Seems to me the reason for the new bridge is solely to prevent havoc when the other one needs to be closed for extensive repairs. Look at the situation last time the bridge had to be closed for a long period. 
Having 2 bridges ending up connecting to the existing infrastructure won't do anything to ease rush hour congestion - if anything it may get worse. There definitely needs to be more work done on the south side to take the pressure off junction 1 on approach to Newbridge. 

The new bridge was needed. Old bridge only had a short remaining lifespan and they were spending a fortune on it. Now the traffics eased up it will last a lot longer.

Can't remember the exact details but I had to do coursework on it and we got a day tour and talk too.

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

The new bridge was needed. Old bridge only had a short remaining lifespan and they were spending a fortune on it. Now the traffics eased up it will last a lot longer.

Can't remember the exact details but I had to do coursework on it and we got a day tour and talk too.

That sounds like Donald Trump.  "Yeah I got told some things about North Korea.  Cant remember the details but I think we can invade; or is that Afghanistan?"

The old bridge was falling down as the wires holding it up were steadily snapping. Once they decided to build the new bridge the solution (dehumidifiers) was found. This was an inherent problem in all such bridges. Apart from the planned repairs the FRB is now fine. The bus/taxi only stuff is a nod to saving the planet, not the bridge.

That sounds like Donald Trump.  "Yeah I got told some things about North Korea.  Cant remember the details but I think we can invade; or is that Afghanistan?"

Haha was one of them where it was all too much to take in to be honest.

The old one was definitely showing significant deterioration anyway and they'd have had to spend a fortune and close it for long periods to keep on extending its lifespan. Sure it was supposed to be about 100 years when originally built but was looking bad for its age.

Going again on Sunday for one of they tours/experiences as my Dad received tickets through his work so maybe that'll refresh the memory.

The old bridge was falling down as the wires holding it up were steadily snapping. Once they decided to build the new bridge the solution (dehumidifiers) was found. This was an inherent problem in all such bridges. Apart from the planned repairs the FRB is now fine. The bus/taxi only stuff is a nod to saving the planet, not the bridge.

Yeah was only meaning that having less traffic on it now should help with having to close it for repairs etc.

What is this M8 / M9 link folk are talking about?

The M8 and M9 are already linked at Newbridge a few miles down the road from the new bridge.

Am I missing something glaringly obvious?

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

My dad had a mild heart attack in South Queensferry once and ended up in hospital in a Livingston. That's the one and only time I've ever been there.

Was that from the shock of the price of a pint in Orocco Pier?

People need more links Gaz. Some folk seem to want a direct link from the bridge to Livingston. 

Most posts here on transport infrastructure can be summed up as

"They're wasting too much money but should spend more on bits near my house"

In that spirit I'd like to point out that there's a perfectly good bridge at Kincardine if lazy Fifers could just get out of bed an hour earlier and the money spent on that bridge should have been spent on trams

Just now, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Most posts here on transport infrastructure can be summed up as

"They're wasting too much money but should spend more on bits near my house"

In that spirit I'd like to point out that there's a perfectly good bridge at Kincardine if lazy Fifers could just get out of bed an hour earlier and the money spent on that bridge should have been spent on trams

Why should I get out of bed an hour early to cross the Kincardine bridge when I work in Dunfermline?