Birds!

Another word in praise of crows. I live in the countryside and the roads are carpeted with roadkill of various species. But rarely a crow. These guys will sit pecking at their dinner of pheasant, deer or hedgehog, timing their departure perfectly as you hurtle toward them. And our Scottish vultures do a good job clearing up the mess of dead, less intelligent creatures. Thanks, pals.

The Highways Agency found over 200 dead crows near Perth recently, and there was concern that they may have died from Avian Flu. A Bird Pathologist examined the remains of all the crows, and, to everyone's relief, confirmed the problem was definitely NOT Avian Flu. The cause of death appeared to be vehicular impacts.

However, during the detailed analysis it was noted that varying colors of paints appeared on the bird's beaks and claws. By analyzing these paint residues it was determined that 98% of the crows had been killed by impact with lorries, while only 2% were killed by an impact with a car.

They then hired an Ornithological Behaviorist to determine if there was a cause for the disproportionate percentages of lorry kills versus car kills.

The Ornithological Behaviorist very quickly concluded the cause: when crows eat road kill, they always have a look-out crow in a nearby tree to warn of impending danger.

The scientific conclusion was that while all the lookout crows could say "Cah", none could say "Lorry."

Edited by NewBornBairn

RE Counting crows, there was a thing on BBC years ago where they tested this. They had a bird-hide set up, and what folk apparently often do is go into the bird-hide in a pair. Then one of the pair of people leaves, and the average bird's small avian brain processes this as "potential predator went in... potential predator left again. I'll get on with whatever I'm doing".

With crows they noticed that this didn't work; the birds were able to distinguish that a smaller number of people left and thus there was still someone to worry about in the hide.

So they increased the numbers going to and from the hide one at a time. It took up to (I think - this was a long time ago) 13 people going to the hide and 12 leaving before the crow missed count and was deceived.

Similarly, I remember a teacher telling me in school that birds couldn't count above one, i.e. it knew none, one and more than one. So you could go into a bird's nest and nick all but two of their eggs and they'd be none the wiser.

On reflection, my teacher may well have been an egg thief.

I used to go bird watching with my dad when I was little. Ticked off a good percentage of my "Birds Of Britain & Europe" book but probably looked a right little w**k with my little wax jacket and binoculars and jam sandwich. Don't really keep up with the hobby now but still a passing interest. Never managed to spot a kingfisher yet bizarrely, so keep an eye out for them, and never seen any eagle. I did spot a pair of mandarin ducks last year on a lazy Sunday walk through the park, which was exciting since you only usually get them in East Asia. I like cormorants, herons, magpies and tufted ducks.

RE Counting crows, there was a thing on BBC years ago where they tested this. They had a bird-hide set up, and what folk apparently often do is go into the bird-hide in a pair. Then one of the pair of people leaves, and the average bird's small avian brain processes this as "potential predator went in... potential predator left again. I'll get on with whatever I'm doing".

With crows they noticed that this didn't work; the birds were able to distinguish that a smaller number of people left and thus there was still someone to worry about in the hide.

So they increased the numbers going to and from the hide one at a time. It took up to (I think - this was a long time ago) 13 people going to the hide and 12 leaving before the crow missed count and was deceived.

I can count higher than that! Daft crow b*****ds.

Don't get birds in pubs much these days. Maybe it was a hicksville English thing but a couple of boozers I'd get dragged to as a kid had a resident parrott (that smoked and drank) and a posh, foul-mouthed mynah bird called Angus.

Krakatoa at Aberdeen harbour has a resident parrot.

I used to go bird watching with my dad when I was little. Ticked off a good percentage of my "Birds Of Britain & Europe" book but probably looked a right little w**k with my little wax jacket and binoculars and jam sandwich. Don't really keep up with the hobby now but still a passing interest. Never managed to spot a kingfisher yet bizarrely, so keep an eye out for them, and never seen any eagle. I did spot a pair of mandarin ducks last year on a lazy Sunday walk through the park, which was exciting since you only usually get them in East Asia. I like cormorants, herons, magpies and tufted ducks.

Spooky. Saw a kingfisher today for the first time, well Mrs Mantis spotted it first, I'm blind as a bat.

Also there's a mandarin duck been hanging around a pond in Portobello all winter.

Further to The Mantis's post, I saw 2 kingfishers in toto up to 2015, then I saw one in October 2015. Then from 22 Dec to 31 Jan I saw a kingfisher perched or in flight on about 20 occasions (about 10 outings). Most of these were on the Water of Leith. We were able to find the female kingfisher almost on demand over the holidays. Very weird.

The mandarin drake in Portobello is at Figgate Park. It is astonishing, in a "cannae be real!" sort of a way. If you go to see the Figgate mandarin, you'll also see several tufties. Guaranteed.

We've got lots of buzzards around us - they look great sitting on the top of lampposts waiting for their dinner to be killed. Watched out the landing window recently as a couple of crows knocked f**k out a buzzard just a few yards away from me. Crow b*****ds.

I salvaged a robin that flew into my living room window the summer before last. Went down like a stone and I thought it was deid but it was still breathing when I picked it up. So I sat with it in the palm of my hand for about half an hour during which time it never said a word whilst I copped pelters from white van men in the passing. Eventually it decided it was better and just fucked off. Not a word of thanks. Cute though.

I like most of them though - except crows when they're being bullies. But like most bullies they're fine when you meet them on their own.

Spooky. Saw a kingfisher today for the first time, well Mrs Mantis spotted it first, I'm blind as a bat.

Also there's a mandarin duck been hanging around a pond in Portobello all winter.

seeing as the definition of a mandarin is a Chinese Orangeman get thae bigoted ducks out of Porty!

post-12982-0-79856200-1454974755_thumb.j

"Who are ye lookin' at pal"

Neddy goosander seen on the canal