General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

41 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:
Who cares what he says.

Jamamafegan.

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:
Corbyn to attack SNP budget plans in Glasgow speech - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-38683298
Wolf in sheeps clothing

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

54 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

Who cares what he says. Empty rhetoric from a total irrelevance (at least in Scotland.)

Equally should we discount what's said because of who is saying it?

It astounds me that on this forum there has been so little critical analysis of the SNP's Scotish budget.  Given the anti-austerity proclamations of Nicola Sturgeon the Holyrood Government's budgetary proposals goes no way to match the rhetoric.

This also raises the equally important issue of SNP members, of which I'm one, falling into the trap of other party political hacks of being unwilling to criticise our own party's policies.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

It astounds me that on this forum there has been so little critical analysis of the SNP's Scotish budget.  Given the anti-austerity proclamations of Nicola Sturgeon the Holyrood Government's budgetary proposals goes no way to match the rhetoric.

What should they be doing?

This also raises the equally important issue of SNP members, of which I'm one, falling into the trap of other party political hacks of being unwilling to criticise our own party's policies.

Agree with this.

The budget cuts that councils are having to implement across the country are frightening.

I think there is a distinct possibility that there will be compulsory redundancies here in Dundee.

17 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Agree with this.

The budget cuts that councils are having to implement across the country are frightening.

I think there is a distinct possibility that there will be compulsory redundancies here in Dundee.

You forgot to add that its all the fault of the Tory government in Westminster. Try to keep up with the party line. 

Corbyn told an audience of Scottish Labour MSPs and activists in Glasgow that independence would be a serious mistake, and would lead to “turbocharged austerity and a glaring hole in the money required to fund essential services”

Yes we should all sit up and take notice of Jeremy. He's came up with a message we've never ever heard before.

58 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

What should they be doing?

Raising income tax, using the idea of rebates to the lowest paid (if it's legal to do so).  Of course they should never have frozen Council Tax for as long as they did - a policy that disproportionately affected the poorest - but that's water under the bridge.

Edited by Granny Danger

5 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

People were well warned during indyref that a no vote would result in continuing austerity. I don't see why Scottish taxpayers should pay more to mitigate the effects of budget cuts implemented by a party we did not vote for. f**k that. The SNP had a credible plan to stop austerity during the Westminster elections which hinged on their being a hung parliament. Unfortunately the English quite like austerity and a quarter of Scots voted Tory a year later so they must like it too. I don't want to pay more tax to mitigate Tory policies and any party advocating it wont be getting my vote. Its a shit situation but then the union is pretty shit.

31 minutes ago, AUFC90 said:

People were well warned during indyref that a no vote would result in continuing austerity. I don't see why Scottish taxpayers should pay more to mitigate the effects of budget cuts implemented by a party we did not vote for. f**k that. The SNP had a credible plan to stop austerity during the Westminster elections which hinged on their being a hung parliament. Unfortunately the English quite like austerity and a quarter of Scots voted Tory a year later so they must like it too. I don't want to pay more tax to mitigate Tory policies and any party advocating it wont be getting my vote. Its a shit situation but then the union is pretty shit.

Jesus fucking Christ.  When Sturgeon says that austerity is hurting the most vulnerable in society she's right, it's not a political sound bite it's a statement of fact.

We then can't just turn our back on these folk because we lost the Referendum and the Tories got a majority at Westminster.  There's a moral obligation to do what we can to mitigate the worst effects.

16 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Jesus fucking Christ.  When Sturgeon says that austerity is hurting the most vulnerable in society she's right, it's not a political sound bite it's a statement of fact.

We then can't just turn our back on these folk because we lost the Referendum and the Tories got a majority at Westminster.  There's a moral obligation to do what we can to mitigate the worst effects.

If you say so, there's no moral obligation. There's a moral obligation to get rid of the root cause.

48 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I'm quite happy to accept that my morals may differ to yours.

Someone will be along any minute now to pat you on the back. I don't want to pay extra to mitigate Tory policies, we did it for the bedroom tax, it would end up a never ending stream especially with someone like May in charge. Besides, I wouldn't be surprised that if Scotland found a way to raise say an extra 5 billion that Westminster would cut the block grant by 5 billion.

Edited by AUFC90

1 hour ago, AUFC90 said:

Someone will be along any minute now to pat you on the back. I don't want to pay extra to mitigate Tory policies, we did it for the bedroom tax, it would end up a never ending stream especially with someone like May in charge. Besides, I wouldn't be surprised that if Scotland found a way to raise say an extra 5 billion that Westminster would cut the block grant by 5 billion.

Not looking for a pat on the back, just thinking that we can't ignore the most disadvantaged because certain decisions didn't go our way.  I think we're right to do what we've done on the bedroom tax just as I think we're right to do what we're doing on tuition fees and free prescriptions.