General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

Posted (edited)

If it's July it'll be too soon for Swinney to do much about the SNP polling position and they are likely to get fragged. I'm surprised at Sunak not trying to waiy out one more budget cycle in the hope of a big giveaway but perhaps he's eager enough to get out of dodge and start a new life over in the States....

Edited by renton

The rumours of an early election are still going on. 

from the Mail though

The drama is threatening to set the Tory tinderbox ablaze, with MPs telling MailOnline that Mr Sunak has a 'death wish' and the Parliamentary party will go 'nuts' if he tries to call an election.

There are claims that 1922 chair Graham Brady is now accepting texts voicing no confidence in the leader. 

One former Cabinet minister said: 'There will be queues outside Graham Brady's door.' 

Another senior backbencher told MailOnline that even if Mr Sunak went to see the King they could attempt a coup to try to prevent the writ being moved to dissolve Parliament. 

What seems to be causing this is cabinet ministers cancelling travel plans and TV appearances. 

Cameron home from albania early; Shapps delaying his trip; Hunt pulling out of Robert Peston, etc

42 minutes ago, renton said:

If it's July it'll be too soon for Swinney to do much about the SNP polling position and they are likely to get fragged. I'm surprised at Sunak not trying to waiy out one more budget cycle in the hope of a big giveaway but perhaps he's eager enough to get out of dodge and start a new life over in the States....

In a way it’s not a bad thing for Swinney. Having an election so soon into his time as leader, he doesn’t really have to own the result. If the SNP make major losses now he can just throw the last guy under the bus. If the poll was held 6-9 months into his tenure and they made huge losses, that could be a resignation matter.

Full respect to these absolute mad lads.  Tory backbenchers going to vote out Sunak if he calls an election so they can hang onto their seats for a few more months.  Absolute legends, committed to the chaos.

Posted (edited)

I'm not particularly happy about this as a US resident. I want to enjoy the coverage of lots of worstcunts getting their Portillo moment, but knowing they'll be replaced by almost equally as shit c***s means I'm loth to hold back on my day of getting patriotically pished for Murica. 

Edited by carpetmonster

*banging the table in time to the chant, getting progressively louder and more unhinged"

GENNY LEC

GENNY LEC

GENNY LEC

GENNY LEC

GENNY LEC

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

In anticipation (though the title is so misguided).

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss…

Is this about you voting for Brexit to speed up Scottish independence?  Because you certainly got fooled there!

Edited by ICTChris

Can someone please explain how Tory MPs think submitting letters of no confidence will stop an election?

No matter what internal party soap opera they have going on, Sunak remains the PM until he pops along to Buck House and says cheerio to Charlie. And as PM, it remains his right to ask Charlie to dissolve Parliament. 

Just now, The Master said:

Can someone please explain how Tory MPs think submitting letters of no confidence will stop an election?

No matter what internal party soap opera they have going on, Sunak remains the PM until he pops along to Buck House and says cheerio to Charlie. And as PM, it remains his right to ask Charlie to dissolve Parliament. 

I'd laugh myself inside out if the election was called and the Tories announced a leadership campaign to happen at the same time. 

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

What seems to be causing this is cabinet ministers cancelling travel plans and TV appearances. 

Cameron home from albania early; Shapps delaying his trip; Hunt pulling out of Robert Peston, etc

Pardon?