General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

technically "quadragesima" is the Catholic one.

Whatever you call it, it predates the split between Greek Orthodox and Roman Catholic versions of Christianity never mind the later splits.

I

I'm an Atheist but I think that's why I feel more comfortable when I've gone to Church of Scotland ceremonies over Catholic ones. Too much showy stuff in the latter, all the call and response stuff, the rejecting Satan and the bowing every time you walk past a cross. All a bit much for me.

I'm an Atheist but I think that's why I feel more comfortable when I've gone to Church of Scotland ceremonies over Catholic ones. Too much showy stuff in the latter, all the call and response stuff, the rejecting Satan.

Is this why you still love Tony Blair? Can't be arsed rejecting evil?

I'm an Atheist but I think that's why I feel more comfortable when I've gone to Church of Scotland ceremonies over Catholic ones. Too much showy stuff in the latter, all the call and response stuff, the rejecting Satan and the bowing every time you walk past a cross. All a bit much for me.

The lack of enthusiasm for ceremony, arcane ritual and showy stuff in mainstream Scottish Protestantism probably explains why people can think Lent is an RC phenomenon.

Of course some Scottish Protestants still love a bit of ceremony, ritual and that's presumably what orangeism is for.

Is this why you still love Tony Blair? Can't be arsed rejecting evil?

I reject evil. My feelings toward Satan are similar to my feelings towards Voldemort or Loki, but for whatever reason there are very few occasions I feel obliged to go to that have a call and response where I bring Dumbledore into my life and reject Voldemort and all his works. At least the Protestants just let me sit there and ignore what they are saying.

5 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

I reject evil. My feelings toward Satan are similar to my feelings towards Voldemort or Loki, but for whatever reason there are very few occasions I feel obliged to go to that have a call and response where I bring Dumbledore into my life and reject Voldemort and all his works. At least the Protestants just let me sit there and ignore what they are saying.

I thought Tony converted to Catholicism?

I thought Tony converted to Catholicism?

He did. Interestingly did it shortly after he stepped down as PM despite following Catholicism for a long time prior to that (with Cherie being Catholic). Seems somewhat archaic that he didn't feel he could properly convert until he was no longer prime minister.

37 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

He did. Interestingly did it shortly after he stepped down as PM despite following Catholicism for a long time prior to that (with Cherie being Catholic). Seems somewhat archaic that he didn't feel he could properly convert until he was no longer prime minister.

Hard to take the six months off he needed for his first confession whilst still Prime Minister.

What can we expect from the Scottish Tory conference then?

SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum 

43 minutes ago, Karl Fletcher said:

What can we expect from the Scottish Tory conference then?

SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP SNP Independence, no need for another referendum 

There will be more "SNP", "independence" and "another referendum", imo.

Nick of the Tory party conference.

You can't eat a flag, but you can make a nice jacket out of one, tbf.
C5_QIPXXMAAHoj_.jpg

That has actually made me physically sick. Actually, not metaphorically. I puked in my mouth at that image.
Who, who, who, thinks it's a good idea to go to a Tory party conference? It's mad!

Ps. Quite like the jackets worn by the women in the foreground, are they just early for "The Who" gig in 4 weeks?