General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

Turns out cabinet ministers, the Prime Minister and the media repeatedly accusing the opposition leader of being a Marxist terrorist lover hell bent on destroying Britain (I wish) doesn't produce healthy liberal behaviour.

They will be “told off” by a junior officer who attended public school and who will be grinning throughout the proceedings.

Yep, I know someone who made the front page of national press etc whilst in the army for another ‘embarrassing’ incident, the army protected them and the senior officer laughed at them whilst telling them off.

Some thick as shit Tory just said these laws not only victimise individuals but whole societies "Imagine how further forward computing could have been had we not sterilised Alan Turing"

Field finishes off the debate by giving a birthday shout out. Now West Ham fans are bonding.

They are obviously taking this seriously.

In other matters that looks like a desperate result for Labour in the Newport West by-election; I wonder if Corbyn will ponder the implications for his desired GE.

I would go as far as to say that with a 37% turnout, a change from a popular MP of 32 years, and in a Leave area, you can read virtually nothing into that result - except that Labour still won.

3 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Election incoming.The tories are now saying the hung parliament is the problem

I'm not the most politically savvy - but would it not be incredibly difficult to get a consistent party position on Brexit in a manifesto from Labour and the Tories (particularly the latter given the party-within-a-party stuff involving the ERG) making an election a bit pointless?

28 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I'm not the most politically savvy - but would it not be incredibly difficult to get a consistent party position on Brexit in a manifesto from Labour and the Tories (particularly the latter given the party-within-a-party stuff involving the ERG) making an election a bit pointless?

In reality you’re correct; in theory not.

The membership of the Labour Party is heavily Remain.  The membership of the Conservative Party is heavily Leave.

If the manifestos reflected the views of the majority of their members they would be very clear.

Any candidate standing for either Party should have to give a commitment to support their party manifesto on Brexit.  The problem is once an MP is elected their pre-election commitments are meaningless.

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

In reality you’re correct; in theory not.

The membership of the Labour Party is heavily Remain.  The membership of the Conservative Party is heavily Leave.

If the manifestos reflected the views of the majority of their members they would be very clear.

Any candidate standing for either Party should have to give a commitment to support their party manifesto on Brexit.  The problem is once an MP is elected their pre-election commitments are meaningless.

Cheers - hadn't thought of that with regard to the party membership, makes things even harder - if you're standing in a heavily leave or remain consituency I'd imagine the position you want the party to take on Brexit will be influenced as a result. edit: christ, or even one where it's marginal and if you pick the wrong side you're out on your arse!

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

10 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Election incoming.The tories are now saying the hung parliament is the problem

If the Tories had stuck to their 2017 Manifesto commitment they would have got rid of the Fixed Terms Act and would have been forced into a General Election in December or January latest when the central part of their legislation got massacred when the DUP and ERG refused to back it.

Edited by welshbairn

49 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

This makes no sense whatsoever.

Remain voting Tories aren't going to switch to Labour in big numbers if Labour back remain. These are people who are voting on the basis of their bottom line.

Labour will lose more voters than they will gain.

33 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If the Tories had stuck to their 2017 Manifesto commitment they would have got rid of the Fixed Terms Act and would have been forced into a General Election in December or January latest when the central part of their legislation got massacred when the DUP and ERG refused to back it.

When do you think she would have lost a confidence vote?

I doubt a single Tory or DUP MP wants an election.