Tallinn and Stockholm

dave_binos

Morning folks,

Me and the Mrs were thinking of spending a week/10 days between Tallinn and Stockholm (probably a week in Tallinn and then 2-3 days in Stockholm) in July. Anyone been and able to provide some tips/advice? Heard Estonia was pretty cheap but Scandinavia was expensive?

Cheers.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's walking down the gangplank in Mother Russian that will be the fun part if no visa (passport variety). One thing you might enjoy in Tallinn is sucking on Le Coq.

No need for a visa if getting a ferry from Tallin. I thought about doing this when I was in Helsinki and was surprised by the visa loophole:

http://www.saint-petersburg.com/russian-visa/visa-free-travel/

If you're trying to save a bit of cash then yes but a week in Tallinn is a long time unless you go elsewhere (Day at Parnu beach). Defiantly do the Saku Brewery and also Troika Russian bar. You can also do a day in Helsinki by getting a fast boat across from Tallinn.

Loads to do in Stockholm but yes it can be expensive.

I was in Tallinn a few years ago and visited the Troika bar. It was smart enough but I had one of the rankest meals of my life there. Red Caviar. It just tasted salty and fishy, like a mouthful of jizz.

I had a really good meal at a place called Must Lammas, which served up hearty meat dishes from the Caucaus mountain area. Unfortunately, a quick google search reveals that it has shut down. There's also a couple of medieval restaurants in the old town area, with costumed serving staff. These are total tourist traps but are quite good fun.

The old town area is very pretty, with defensive walls and winding cobbled lanes. The Kiek In De Kok museum is quite interesting. It's an old gun tower with defensive tunnels and all kinds of military artefacts. The soviet occupation museum is also worth a visit.

No need for a visa if getting a ferry from Tallin. I thought about doing this when I was in Helsinki and was surprised by the visa loophole:

http://www.saint-petersburg.com/russian-visa/visa-free-travel/

Thanks for that, I'll keep that in mind as I quite fancy a similar trip from Sweden over to the Baltic states in the future.

I'm now going to bore the bejesus outta you with a few photos I took over there. The final photo is the interior of the Troika Russian bar.

post-13019-0-04218100-1456060286_thumb.j

post-13019-0-27319500-1456060332_thumb.j

post-13019-0-74046100-1456060450_thumb.j

post-13019-0-15363800-1456060487_thumb.j

post-13019-0-17026200-1456060566_thumb.j

Stockholm is lovely, I only had 2 full days there as we got the overnight boat to and from Tallinn (brilliant boat!). Didn't find it overly expensive compared to some of the other Scandinavian states

S'holm CAN be expensive, especially for food and drink but is nothing like Norway or Iceland. There are also lots of cafes/restaurants offering a fixed price lunch menu (dagens) to include a main course, bread & butter, salad and coffee for under a tenner.

I agree though - it's a beautiful city.

Thanks for the recommendations and photos lads - much appreciated. We've booked a week in Tallinn and 3 days in Stockholm...getting the overnight ferry.

Has anyone did a day trip to Helsinki from Talllinn? Heard that was cheap and worth a visit.

Thanks for the recommendations and photos lads - much appreciated. We've booked a week in Tallinn and 3 days in Stockholm...getting the overnight ferry.

Has anyone did a day trip to Helsinki from Talllinn? Heard that was cheap and worth a visit.

Yip again ferry is your cheapest option however the helicopter flight is superb

Helsinki is expensive once you are there though but really nice wander about type of place

Archived