Malta v Scotland

tartanspark

43 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

I know you said you were generalising but Tbf Burley went the other way, trying to play open expansive football... and making an absolute dug's arse of it. In contrast Smith and McLeish did set us up to be hard to beat and we scored a fair haul in the 2008 campaign.

Well put. Burley did enter with a desire to further advance the strides made, and against Croatia in his first game, things didn't look too bad. Like Strachan, his man-management was appalling, and poor treatment of players who were left out caused great resentment. 

If Burley's regular XI played Strachan's, even without the long list of players he pissed off (McGregor, Ferguson, Boyd, McCulloch etc) they'd comfortably win 2-0 in my opinion. 

Set up as we are, the current team would lose to every other team we've had, and i include Vogts' team in that. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Burley's regular XI played Strachan's, even without the long list of players he pissed off (McGregor, Ferguson, Boyd, McCulloch etc) they'd comfortably win 2-0 in my opinion. 

Set up as we are, the current team would lose to every other team we've had, and i include Vogts' team in that. 

:lol:

So predictions then.

I will shamefully predict a 0-0 borefest with a pre written excuse manifesto by WGS

It wouldn't surprise me if it's a draw. If it is the first excuse will be "too hot". At least it's a night game, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Hopefully we can get a win. 1-0 would do.

"Tough place to go, they put 10 men behind the ball, poor pitch, that sorta hing".

I'm seeing into the future here.

It was stated when we played Italy there in May that the pitch was poor.

Say what you like guys but a poor pitch is a leveler.

Let's hope it has improved in the last three months.

1 hour ago, Randy Giles said:

Seen a thing on BBC's gossip thing saying Watt is in line to start. Despite the laughs at him being called up I wouldn't actually mind seeing him get a shot.

Naismith would be my first choice, but I'd rather start Watt in this game than Fletcher.

4 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

I have a good feeling about this game. Three nil Scotland 8)

My thoughts exactly, let's get into this shower.

2 minutes ago, troopio said:

No way will Watt start,, just the usual 2 and 2 being added to make 500 by the press to get headlines and clicks!! Sadly for us all Steven Fletcher will be starting up front, he always will.

If Strachan was considering Watt to start then surely he would have featured in the original squad. Can anyone think of an example of a player called up as a late replacement who went on to start the game?

If Strachan was considering Watt to start then surely he would have featured in the original squad. Can anyone think of an example of a player called up as a late replacement who went on to start the game?

Mccormack in one of the friendlies maybe?? Id be pretty concerned if he is so indecisive that hes changing starting forwards at that late a stage. It would also make the sustained ignoring of other forwards even more baffling. However id be be pretty shocked if it isnt the usual. Surely only unannounced injury to someone else would see watt starting? ?

Pretty easy to see a situation where that would happen.  He wanted to start Griffiths, Griffiths gets injured, he calls up the person he believes is most similar, and he starts him.  Not saying that's how it will happen, but it's hardly baffling to imagine it.

1 hour ago, conley said:

Think they have spent millions on a new Hybrid pitch

A poor pitch is not in any way a "leveller".

9 minutes ago, forameus said:

Pretty easy to see a situation where that would happen.  He wanted to start Griffiths, Griffiths gets injured, he calls up the person he believes is most similar, and he starts him.  Not saying that's how it will happen, but it's hardly baffling to imagine it.

If thats the case why only announce one player in the mould he's looking for, surely calling up both of them and only one of fletcher and martin would be the correct call in that situation 

Its basically saying we're bringing two striker who don't fit into my tactical plans

If thats the case why only announce one player in the mould he's looking for, surely calling up both of them and only one of fletcher and martin would be the correct call in that situation 

Its basically saying we're bringing two striker who don't fit into my tactical plans

Or to change it if the plans not working?

52 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Tosh McKinlay was called up by Craig Brown on the day of an absolutely crucial Euro 96 qualifier against Greece at Hampden. He started. There is a bit about it in this interview with him.
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/interview-tosh-mckinlay-on-scotland-s-great-swiss-miss-1-4157863

We won 1-0 McCoist scoring. Great night at Hampden.

Archived