Election Night

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol. A minority government? So the unionist vote is still strong. Bang goes any thought of independence.

Pro independance parties still make up the majority of seats. Nice try though. 

I know it's the way the system works, but it does sound ridiculous when a party gets the most list votes by miles, and gets no seats!

Er...yes, that is how the system works. If it didn't work that way, there would be no point in using it.

If I've done my maths correctly, then the SNP were literally nowhere near a seat in the North East. If there had been (effectively) unlimited seats, the Greens would have got one before the SNP.

Could it be that "#BothVotesSNP" actually helped the Tories and hindered the Greens? (Assuming the Greens are, in general, the normal "second choice" of SNP supporters).

So a pro independence majority, but an SNP minority government? From a pro independence perspective that is probably the ideal set up, as it will force the SNP to actually work.

Never thought there would again be a time when the Conservatives outperformed Labour in Scotland. Astonishing how far Labour have fallen with the voters in recent years. Would expect that with Jackie Baillie somehow managing to cling on that it will only get worse too.

Great result for the Greens, overtaking the Lib Dems. Laughable that the Lib Dems will still try to pretend they are relevant to Scottish politics.

Er...yes, that is how the system works. If it didn't work that way, there would be no point in using it.

If I've done my maths correctly, then the SNP were literally nowhere near a seat in the North East. If there had been (effectively) unlimited seats, the Greens would have got one before the SNP.

Could it be that "#BothVotesSNP" actually helped the Tories and hindered the Greens? (Assuming the Greens are, in general, the normal "second choice" of SNP supporters).

Thanks for being a condescending p***k - I know how the system works, I was just pointing out how daft it might seem to someone who didn't.

That's a really important point. Davidson has deliberately distanced herself from Cameron and the Tory cuts; Dugdale should have been holding her to account on this at every opportunity.

The drivel on the Labour list ballot paper sums her and her party up quite nicely.

Never thought there would again be a time when the Conservatives outperformed Labour in Scotland. Astonishing how far Labour have fallen with the voters in recent years. Would expect that with Jackie Baillie somehow managing to cling on that it will only get worse too.

Not just outperformed Labour, outperformed Labour & the Lib Dems combined. 31 seats v 29 (24+5) seats.

It's not the fact we got 2nd, it's the fact of how comfortable it was. I was expecting by a couple seats at most.

YAS RUTH!

The fact is, I'm not even sure the SNP need that much Green support. Not being the official opposition puts Lbaour in a pretty nasty place. Before, they could mindlessly oppose the SNP on everything, now to do so would be seen to be supporting a Tory position (rather than before when it would be Tories agreeing with Labour) which is obviously worked well for them in the past and will make the next Westminster election even more difficult. That leaves them the choice of supporting the SNp or abstaining on everything, giving the SNP a de facto majority.

Archived