The Partick Thistle thread

2 hours ago, Armand 2 said:

To be honest, I'd be more surprised if Welsh and Fraser weren't still Thistle players this time next year. (Edit: Others beat me to that).

Mind Bannigan is signed up for next season too. I'd be surprised if any team was willing to pay a transfer fee considering it's unlikely he'll be back this season.

Forgot Banzo is here for another year. No way Welsh and Fraser will be kept on.

1 hour ago, third lanark said:

If Fraser regains his form of the first 18 months he was with us before the injuries do you think he would be kept on?

I dont ever remember him having 18 months of good form.

If i was to sum up Fraser, it would be, fuckin incredible first game. No bad 2nd game. Fuckin terrible third game... dropped or injured... rinse repeat. 

3 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Welsh will be kept on. Archie loves him for some reason.

I always say, these people that bafflingly never get dropped... they must be doing something right. They must be doing sonething right, the job the manager tells them to. Like Welsh & Gordon. 

We see the game differently, managers must see things we dont.

In Welshs case, id love to know what it is. Because i dont see it.

And if someone responds to this with thr greatest football lie ever told. "They do the work that goes unseen" or however its phrased, ill bloody greet!

I'd guess the logic behind Sean Welsh continually getting games is that he keeps the ball better than any of our other midfielders. It doesn't seem to matter HOW he keeps it (by taking too long on the ball and passing sideways or backwards, as most fans would suggest), but a coach sees that by simply retaining the ball his contribution is better than someone like Ryan Edwards making a forward run but losing the ball, or Gary Fraser attempting a through ball but it being cut out.

21 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

It would be great if Barton turned out to be the new Davie Irons but I don't think Archibald will try him out unless one of the current incumbents is unavailable.

If Devine is going to keep his place for now is it maybe switching sides with Lindsay?

I thought Gordon was a lot better defensively on Saturday so it may be an idea to keep him away from Danny for the time being?

p.s. We paid money for Azeez too?

The club gave Barton a 3 year deal and reportedly paid a decent fee for him. It's puzzling that he's spending so much time on the bench. 

1 hour ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Barton played the entire 90 minutes against Motherwell. He must be fit enough to come off the bench. If not, he should not be in the squad.

That seem a very simplistic view to take, though.

5 hours ago, Snakebite said:

He played several full games for Portsmouth this season prior to arriving though, did he then become unfit by constantly sitting on the bench for us?

No idea, but it was clear to see at the motherwell game that he wasnt fit.

5 hours ago, dave.j said:

No idea, but it was clear to see at the motherwell game that he wasnt fit.

Was it?  I thought he had a decent game and made a surge into the box late in the second half. Surely if he was unfit he'd have been subbed?

Yup, it doesnt. To me jmhe looked dead on his feet come the last 20 of the motherwell game.

Archie always keeps his cards close to his chest re fitness and injuries.

Obviously the fact that folk dont know the facts, leads to total guess work.

Something as trivial as, we signed him on a 3 year deal, for money. He should be playing every minute available. I tend not to get worked up about.

54 minutes ago, dave.j said:

Yup, it doesnt. To me jmhe looked dead on his feet come the last 20 of the motherwell game.

Archie always keeps his cards close to his chest re fitness and injuries.

Obviously the fact that folk dont know the facts, leads to total guess work.

Something as trivial as, we signed him on a 3 year deal, for money. He should be playing every minute available. I tend not to get worked up about.

Total guesswork - you mean like saying he "clearly isn't fit"? 

Don't think anyone has said he should be playing every minute available, just that it's a bit weird he played 90 minutes against Motherwell and not another minute since, either for the first tean or development squad.

1 hour ago, Jumps said:

Total guesswork - you mean like saying he "clearly isn't fit"? 

Don't think anyone has said he should be playing every minute available, just that it's a bit weird he played 90 minutes against Motherwell and not another minute since, either for the first tean or development squad.

Even before the motherwell game it was a topic of discussion.