The Partick Thistle thread

3 hours ago, dave.j said:

Even before the motherwell game it was a topic of discussion.

Where? And has Barton's fitness been discussed since then?

Barton signed at the end August, six weeks ago. He played and trained for Portsmouth for several weeks before we signed him.

Why do you think that he's still unfit? 

54 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Where? And has Barton's fitness been discussed since then?

Barton signed at the end August, six weeks ago. He played and trained for Portsmouth for several weeks before we signed him.

Why do you think that he's still unfit? 

Dont know, i dont know if he's picked up an injury since arrival. I dont watch them train every day. 

You could ask the same of Osman who always takes 10 games to get anywhere near match fitness. 

24 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Why do we sign so many unfit players? Pish.

I would imagine because they wont be unfit forever.

However, i'd say overall fitness/injuries within the squad is the most important discusson to be had. 

As a club, there does seem to be a theme, in recent years. 

There's a fundamental flaw in the relationship between Gordon and Devine. Like Gary Miller when he was used as a full back in our system, Gordon just doesn't seem to fit. I know that he's starting to rub a number of folk up the wrong way which I think was predicted shortly after he signed. Got to hope that Dumbuya's recovery is progressing as quick as possible

Caley fans warned us about Devine and they appear to have been pretty much on the money with their opinions of him. I was by no means a fan of Frans - in fact, I blatantly didn't rate him - but he was a significantly better option than Devine. His starting position for Brophy's goal was just dumbfounding, he was out of position for the phase of play before the ball got lofted over him. Concentration, positioning, communication with his full back - all very suspect.

After seeing Barton for the first time on Saturday, I can't comprehend how anyone has ever watched him and thought "centre-half"; I think the only way our defence could be any worse at the moment is if he was deployed in there. Out of possession, he was as a good as a man down and allied to Edwards tiring badly as the game wore on, we lost the battle in the middle of the pitch. On the ball, he was tidy enough although maybe slightly pedestrian at times and I thought he attacked the ball well from a couple of set pieces - but the decision to make what sounded like quite a significant outlay to get him considering our deficiencies elsewhere looks more baffling by the week.

On booting up the new FM and starting with Thistle, it just shows how comprehensive their research is

Under weaknesses, we have

- THere is not a great deal of quality depth outside of the first team

- THere isn't much to speak of in terms of exciting youth prospects

- Could do better than Danny Devine amongst those able to play as a central defender

- Kris Doolan is one of few players of sufficient quality who are able to play as a striker and better depth is required

- The squad doesn't work hard enough individually or collectively

- There aren't enough players who have a first touch of sufficient quality

- There is currently a leadership void in the squad

- It might be worth paying attention to the low levels of aggression and commitment in the squad right now

Our strengths mutter about Cerny and Dumbuya, and don't mention how they're both made of crepe paper.  Otherwise, sadly spot on :(

On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 16:51, Armand 2 said:

There's a fundamental flaw in the relationship between Gordon and Devine. Like Gary Miller when he was used as a full back in our system, Gordon just doesn't seem to fit. I know that he's starting to rub a number of folk up the wrong way which I think was predicted shortly after he signed. Got to hope that Dumbuya's recovery is progressing as quick as possible

Caley fans warned us about Devine and they appear to have been pretty much on the money with their opinions of him. I was by no means a fan of Frans - in fact, I blatantly didn't rate him - but he was a significantly better option than Devine. His starting position for Brophy's goal was just dumbfounding, he was out of position for the phase of play before the ball got lofted over him. Concentration, positioning, communication with his full back - all very suspect.

After seeing Barton for the first time on Saturday, I can't comprehend how anyone has ever watched him and thought "centre-half"; I think the only way our defence could be any worse at the moment is if he was deployed in there. Out of possession, he was as a good as a man down and allied to Edwards tiring badly as the game wore on, we lost the battle in the middle of the pitch. On the ball, he was tidy enough although maybe slightly pedestrian at times and I thought he attacked the ball well from a couple of set pieces - but the decision to make what sounded like quite a significant outlay to get him considering our deficiencies elsewhere looks more baffling by the week.

I'd agree regards Freddie, but i'd say he was still a better option than Seaborne who i thought was a bloody calamity. 

Regards the Gordon Devine situation. look at McDonalds goal in the 1-1 draw. Devine steps out in line with Lindsay and Booth, playing McDonald offside. Its a pity Gordon is behind him playing everyone onside. No communication, understanding, or positional awareness.

Id agree Barton isnt a centre half. He's a ball playing centre mid. Yes he wins every header and he gets great distance on them. But theres no direction on his headers. I think he is still not fully fit and with time and understanding of his team mates will be pinging balls about to the 4 infront of him with ease. He just needs a ball winner like Osman to do the dirty work, then give him the ball.

Back to the defence, it might sound mad, but i think Archie needs to percevere. The next 3 games the back 4 need to keep it simple. Work as a unit and learn. 

After a shakey start Lindsay is looking very comfortable. So hopefully Devine can do the same. He'd do well to learn from Lindsay when it comes to doing the basics right. 

Elliotts fit again. So does Archie have a decision to make at right back? Id say Gordon has improved over the last two games and against Hamilton he revelled in his battle with imrie. 

While the majority of comments from Pompey fans seem to indicate that Barton is more comfortable operating in midfield, I do wonder if it's now time to remove Devine from the firing line. Lindsay's return to form has merely increased the focus on him. I wouldn't mind if Barton was deployed at the back for a few games. Having said that, I do see the merit in Dave's suggestion that Archie persevere and hope that the partnership begins to form. I'm just concerned at the lack of progress thus far. As Armand 2 notes, the positioning of both Devine and Lindsay for the Brophy goal was particularly worrying.  

Totally agree with Armand 2's comments about the importance of Dumbuya to our shape in possession and general pattern of play. Ziggy's a far more defensively-minded full-back. It doesn't seem like we've come to terms with the lack of a SOD/Dumbuya figure providing width, overlapping runs and who stretches play, something that has no doubt been exacerbated by Booth's lack of fitness and form. 

Despite the gloom of the above though, I remain relatively calm. Although the defence is all over the place at the moment, and every game looks like it'll end 3-3, we're still only 3 points off 6th place. So Archie has a bit of time to sort the defence, assuming he can do so given the current personnel at his disposal. That's the crucial question, ultimately.  

Don't see anything defensively from Barton myself. He was beaten for the header prior to the corner from the 1st goal and then the goal itself with a bit of urgency he could have easily made an attempt to attack it.

For a big guy he doesn't play like it at all.

9 hours ago, Snakebite said:

Don't see anything defensively from Barton myself. He was beaten for the header prior to the corner from the 1st goal and then the goal itself with a bit of urgency he could have easily made an attempt to attack it.

For a big guy he doesn't play like it at all.

At the corner, it was Osman's man that scored. If Barton missed the header it's because he was making a last ditch attempt due to Osman losing his man.