The Partick Thistle thread

3 hours ago, Dr Koop said:

I'm not sure anyone has fired up this season's last minute goals to points lost calculator.

I'll let someone else do that, I'll just get upset as the points build up :P

But Motherwell, Hamilton and Killie all at home off the top of my head should have been killed off had we a clinical striker. I'd take that over frustrating a team and hope they run out of ideas over 90 mins.

Edited by cilitbang

I made a point earlier that the forward line lacks guile. The way the boys took the second half to Accies last week gave a little indicator of what they can do.

I didn't see the Celtic game. I watched highlights and heard from friends who were there. That game seemed to have underlined Thistle's weaknesses, especially a lack of dig - what my old man would have called mental toughness.

I'm sad that two of Thistle's best defenders have coached a team that really couldn't keep weans out of a close. Surely concentrating on your job for 90 or 95 minutes doesn't require a fat wage packet every week.

6 hours ago, Dr Koop said:

I'm not sure anyone has fired up this season's last minute goals to points lost calculator.

27th August 2016 Partick Thistle 1 2 Hearts

24th September2016 Partick Thistle 1 1 Motherwell

22nd October2016 Partick Thistle 1 1 Ross County
15th October2016 Partick Thistle 2 2 Hamilton Academical

26th November 2016 Partick Thistle 1 2 Rangers

A copy and paste from earlier in this thread, which was all the last 10 minute capitulations for the last 4 seasons. The Sevco result added of course. The problem is actually getting worse.

Alan Archibald isn't able to get this squad performing to the best of their abilities, which manifests in a clear mental fragility, continual errors, and last minute bottlings. There have been fatal errors in player signings.

At some point, eventually, he will be sacked, because he isn't a good enough manager to be head-hunted by another club. It's inevitable. Is January as good a time as any?

Also, why can we not put Celtic/Sevco fans in the main stand only, like we do with every other away team? We are making these fixtures like a home game for them. Unless the club can provide evidence that this gives extra funds which directly benefit the playing squad, it's an embarrassing state of affairs.

26 minutes ago, milhouse said:

Also, why can we not put Celtic/Sevco fans in the main stand only, like we do with every other away team? We are making these fixtures like a home game for them. Unless the club can provide evidence that this gives extra funds which directly benefit the playing squad, it's an embarrassing state of affairs.

I'm sure the police advised against us giving it to Celtic because it's a wooden stand and their fans can't be trusted not to bring in flares. So because some fucking imbeciles can't be trusted not to kill themselves by burning down a stand they're in, we're not allowed to put them there.

I actually don't have a problem with us giving them the Jackie Husband, because it's 6,000 tickets that won't be sold otherwise, and let's be honest, we could give the OF zero tickets at Firhill and our players would still shite themselves and lose anyway. Making it like a home game for them makes f**k all difference.

Edited by Nightmare

3 hours ago, Dr Koop said:

I'm sad that two of Thistle's best defenders have coached a team that really couldn't keep weans out of a close.

Our defensive record for the two seasons before this was very good. The management team have demonstrated competency in defensive organisation during their time here, but they've failed to bring in enough depth during the most recent window, which is what we're currently suffering from.

1 hour ago, milhouse said:

At some point, eventually, he will be sacked, because he isn't a good enough manager to be head-hunted by another club. It's inevitable. Is January as good a time as any?

Another club came in for him less than two months ago.

Hearts and Celtic tickets go on general issue this afternoon. 

I'll probably get a Hearts one for the day out but I can't really be arsed going to Parkhead for the foreseeable future.

Anyone else got similar feelings?

That's tickets on sale now. I bought my Hearts ticket for £18 + £2 postage.

Got ahead of myself and got a Celtic ticket £26* and it seems I got charged for postage again. This seems a bit of a ripoff as the two tickets are obviously going to the same address.

*I'm off my nut  for getting that. 

If we can stay in the mix and keep relatively injury free till 23rd game V County we have an opportunity to start gaining points before we hit the short winter break. We play County, Dundee and Killie. The problem is we lack any bite or mental strength. We have no baws and players like Azeez whilst talented and shows he's got bags of potential couldn't hit a barn door with a spade. Erskine has been off the boil this past month and our defense, other than Barton, (who also had a very poor game at weekend) our defense is more porous than a cub-scout tent. I concur it is nice to have Tomas back. That is a positive. He'll save us a few points I am sure, but that won't be enough on this form. We've lost goals late with him between the sticks. When is Archie going to solve this problem? Surely that is a legit question? And it's been relevant for four seasons.

I listened to my first Jagscast podcast this past week and whilst some of the chat from some of our most well known supporters is interesting and I agree with most of it, the notion that we as fans and punters should just unconditionally get behind players like Welsh and Lindsay when game after game they make individual mistakes is laughable. I get behind them every game (I don't doubt Welsh wants to play his best every game) but they should be criticised when they screw up consistently as that is football. We don't linger on it and we all respect the players but we expect improvement and we're not seeing it. Lindsay is now well into his 2nd season. We've been losing goals from good positions against our bottom 6 rivals all season and to be honest this has happened every year we have been promoted. We constantly seem to gift goals to the opposition (especially in the last 5-10 mins) losing lots of points which would have put us in a much better position in the league. Is this the players fault? The management teams? Both? But to sit in some cozy pub, opining about how Thistle fans are fickle and we're worse than Celtic and Rangers fans to me is unfair. Many care just as deeply as they do. We understand we have the 2nd lowest budget in the league, but we also know we have arguably the best playing squad we've had since the 70s. We are debt free, have a burgeoning and improving academy and yet we continually seem to not learn from the mistakes we make. The Rangers game was a massive kick in the nuts. You want to break into the top 6 you have to take points off the top 3-4 clubs in the league and WIN your home games (with exception of Celtic). Being competitive but losing against Aberdeen at home, nearly beating Rangers at home isn't good enough. We can't even this autumn take 3 points off Accies (away), Killie (home) or Ross County (home). That's relegation / play off form in my book.

Don't even get started on how poor we are in the cups, its actually embarrassing. Look...

No doubt, good guys, on the podcast, but let's face it, there is no reason this squad should not be 6-10 points better off this season with a scalp like Rangers in the bag. The squad we have with Dumbaya, Fraser, Scully and Bannigan to come back is the best in my lifetime but yet we continue to underperform, show no grit or cojones, and have no clinical ambition in front of goal. I hope Archie and Paterson turn it around but based on our form if we go into the winter break bottom and 4-6 points adrift, statistics show we are not going to be playing Premiership football next year. I don't fancy a play off with the Hibees or Arabs...Do you?

This next month and 6-7 games is critical and I am sure Archie realises this. I will get behind them as always, as we have a great team of talent, but they are not playing like they actually know this and it is very concerning. We are told we 'are not so cuddly anymore' well I am sorry i disagree. Archie has done a stellar job to this point, but this is a results based business. We need to be "ruthless", climb the league, see out games against clubs who I see as there for the taking and finally give someone a 4-0, 5-0 going over. It's in there. We all know it. Mon' the Jags!

Need a prolific striker in January and a solid CB.

I would like to see Archie try azeez out on the wing for a game as he could actually be far more effective there. He could use his pace to create the opportunity and put it on a plate for someone like Doolan to finish. Just like he did up at dens. And wouldn't have any chance to mess up a really good scoring opportunity.

Assuming we can unearth a competent centre half, would folk rather we played Barton in midfield or defence? I think there's still an issue in that while he's clearly very comfortable on the ball, the only position that seems to suit him is sweeper in a back 3, he was all over the place on Friday albeit Celtic are better than anyone else in the league by some distance.

Similar to when we were promoted in 2002 and signed Chiarini to shift Paterson into midfield, he had nowhere near as much time and wasn't anywhere near as effective.

If we stick with 3-5-2 then the problem is assuming Osman and Welsh are nailed on as 2 of the central midfield 3 (whether they should be is another argument), then you've got Edwards, Erskine & Lawless, all competing for one spot behind the strikers and Amoo / Erskine again / McDaid (lol) as various degrees of fish out of water up front when Doolan / Azeez tire / never touch the ball / try to chip the keeper and fail miserably one too many times.

Before we can get the squad improved we still have the County, Dundee, and Killie games before the break. Clinging to the positive that the only team we've lost to in the pack of 7 is Motherwell, if we can get 7 points from that we're probably in an OK position even allowing for our inevitable bleachings at Tynecastle and Parkhead.

1 hour ago, Griff Sheridan said:

Agreed, but who?

Not sure tbh I don't know many free agents. We could try and look abroad but Radom foreign signings don't usually work. Wouldn't mind seeing prince buaben back on loan as he has seem to have been frozen out of the hearts first team.