The Partick Thistle thread

Looking at the league just now and never mind Rangers looking over their shoulders at Hearts and St. Johnstone, both Hearts and St. Johnstone should be looking over their shoulders at Partick Thistle.

If we can win out the majority of these games and maybe just maybe give Sevco a good spanking I think we do have a shot at catching Saints and Jambos. Saints are very consistent but Cathro is really hurting Hearts. An outside shot we could finish 5th.

Forget the above...surely that's not possible? I'm getting excited thinking about the prospect.

[emoji44]

Watching the last few previews on jagzone, it seems that we're always training at lesser Hampden. Are we not using Garscube anymore? Or is it just during the winter or something? 

We use Lesser Hampden during the winter as the plastic pitch there is a lot better than Garscube's.

2 minutes ago, Rednyella said:

If we can win out the majority of these games and maybe just maybe give Sevco a good spanking I think we do have a shot at catching Saints and Jambos. Saints are very consistent but Cathro is really hurting Hearts. An outside shot we could finish 5th.

Forget the above...surely that's not possible? I'm getting excited thinking about the prospect.

emoji44.png

What's the highest Thistle have finished in the top flight, I vaguely remember a 5th place achieved in the mid 70's and I'm sure there was a 3rd place in the early 60's. It would be some achievement if so and I don't see why Thistle can't push on from that next season, they seem a well run club now. With bigger clubs constantly underachieving every season, its a great opportunity for a smaller club to be well placed within the top 6. If Inverness and County can and you just have to see how consistent St. Johnstone have been over the last few seasons then why not Thistle as well?

So, we saw the club pay a transfer fee for Adam Barton last summer. It was likely pish-all, nevertheless, if we sell Lindsay in the summer as expected do you think the plan is to try to bring Keown in permanently? I believe I read that his contract is up at the end of next season so he would have a year left at the end of this season. I guess it all depends on how highly Reading rate him and with the way he is playing at the moment, they'll probably want to keep him but I would love to see him join permanently and the club seem to be moving in the direction of not having to rely on free agent scraps from League 2.

57 minutes ago, CityDave said:

What's the highest Thistle have finished in the top flight, I vaguely remember a 5th place achieved in the mid 70's and I'm sure there was a 3rd place in the early 60's. It would be some achievement if so and I don't see why Thistle can't push on from that next season, they seem a well run club now. With bigger clubs constantly underachieving every season, its a great opportunity for a smaller club to be well placed within the top 6. If Inverness and County can and you just have to see how consistent St. Johnstone have been over the last few seasons then why not Thistle as well?

Thistle finished 5th in the League in 1975/76 - they had been promoted at the start of that season and had Alan Rough & Alan Hansen in the side with Doug Somner, Joe Craig, Jackie Campbell & Andy Anderson also pretty decent players.

At New Year 1963, Thistle were on a 16 game unbeaten run and challenging Rangers at the top of the League...that Winter was the worst of the Century and almost no professional football was played in the UK from January to the beginning of March. Thistle never recovered their form after the long break and hardly won another game, eventually finishing third.

I think Thistle also finished third on at least 2 previous occasions but have never finished higher than that, 

Considering that we have been without arguably our three best footballing midfielders - Bannigan, Gary Fraser & Welsh - for most of the season, we're doing pretty well.

2 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

He'll be losing my trust soon if he doesn't sort that fucking Bing out.

Kidding. Please don't leave us, Colin.

With Aberdeen and Dundee probably moving. I can see us building a new stadium rather than fixing the bing.
I'd be OK with it as long as we stay nearby and not move to Milngave or Bishopbriggs something.

Ideally just knock down Firhill and build a new one on top.

Can't help but think ahead to next season where we could have similar defensive problems at the start of the campaign again. Lindsay is likely to be away (unless he is loaned back for a year), and Keown is probably a 50/50 on returning.

This leaves us with just Devine and possibly Barton for CBs.

I hope Archie has somewhat planned ahead for worst case scenario as the start of our last two seasons have really hindered us and left us with "what ifs" at the end.

Just now, Red 'N Yellow said:

Good stuff, think their manager has been keeping an eye on him for a while. Just playing every week should give him a chance of getting into the 23 man squad. Hopefully doesn't miss many games for us though.

I can't remember Jackson Irvine missing any games for County when he was involved, but I think all the travelling had some impact on his mid-season form... either that or because he was carrying Martin Woods on his back for most of it.