The Partick Thistle thread

I've just been floating about the boards, as I do when I'm bored, and I was looking in on teams with ex jags.  In the championship forum Morton fans seem to be furiously wanking themselves into delirium about young superstar with a left foot like Messi.

Does anyone think Ross Forbes could have made it in the premiership?

He didn't look like he could and I don't remember anyone being upset when we got shot. Would be quite interesting to see what would happen if he got another chance to see if he has improved greatly or if he is just having a good season at a lower level.

FWIW I did like him, he had great delivery from set plays but I just felt he was too immobile to make a real impact at premiership level.

Anyway just some thoughts. By f**k I'm bored. I should have something better to do.

Nah but I do get their diddy wankfest over him.

When we first came up and we had lost Erskine and Lawless was linked with that Dutch team, I remember thinking that we'd be OK as long as we had Ross Forbes.
I genuinely thought he'd be a massive player for us, but the reality is that he's rancid.
He could find a man at a set piece against pish defences but it doesn't work against the elite teams and the rest of his game is shit.

I loved him, but he's a no more than a tier 2 player.

5 minutes ago, ALJAGS76 said:

I've just been floating about the boards, as I do when I'm bored, and I was looking in on teams with ex jags.  In the championship forum Morton fans seem to be furiously wanking themselves into delirium about young superstar with a left foot like Messi.

Does anyone think Ross Forbes could have made it in the premiership?

He didn't look like he could and I don't remember anyone being upset when we got shot. Would be quite interesting to see what would happen if he got another chance to see if he has improved greatly or if he is just having a good season at a lower level.

FWIW I did like him, he had great delivery from set plays but I just felt he was too immobile to make a real impact at premiership level.

Anyway just some thoughts. By f**k I'm bored. I should have something better to do.

Ross Forbes has had a fantastic season for them. He was good for us in the 2nd tier but nothing like the Forbes of this season. When we came up I thought he'd be one of the first players out the door when we started to upgrade on the promotion team, and that's basically what happened (I also thought Muirhead had the best chance of really making it with us and moving to a higher level, which was a pretty terrible call).

On current form, he looks like he's definitely improved as a player. Top flight player, though? It's a big step up, and his athleticism is shite even if his delivery is excellent, so probably not.

I'm an unashamed Ross Forbes fanboy, I'd always have room in my team for a #10 style player who just stands scratching his baws when the other team have the ball but can create havoc when they have it.

However Archie quite rightly wants guys who work off the ball and as such Forbes was / is a luxury at Premiership level that a bottom 6 team couldn't afford whilst not being good enough to be assured of a place in a top 6 team.

Those two goals vs Dunfermline in the promotion season tho... the one at EEP was probably better, wish there was an angle from behind the goal to show the swerve on it, was about a foot outside the post until the last 3 yards when it cut in viciously.

I also thought the 3 that would "make it" out of our promotion team were Muirhead, O'Donnell and Bannigan, so that's two wrong and a TBD depending on injury recovery.

2 hours ago, Nightmare said:

I don't know if Forbes was ever actually lazy. Just because you're not naturally fast or athletic doesn't mean you're not putting in effort.

Yeah, I don't think Forbes unfit or lazy.  He does run like he has a 747 attached to him though.

Ross Forbes is one of my favourite Thistle players of the last five years or so. Of course he wasn't good enough for the step up, but I absolutely loved watching him in that promotion season. His failings were evident, but his dead balls were always a joy, and some of his touches and passes were phenomenal. Morton have got themselves a properly quality player.

but his dead balls were always a joy, and some of his touches and passes were phenomenal. Morton have got themselves a properly quality player.

Always!

Used to love those out swinging corners from infront of the Jackie Husband stand, that managed to go straight out of play.

His ability to hit the big advert on the bing, from a free kick, was phenominal.

2 hours ago, dave.j said:

Always!

Used to love those out swinging corners from infront of the Jackie Husband stand, that managed to go straight out of play.

His ability to hit the big advert on the bing, from a free kick, was phenominal.

I'm maybe getting a bit carried away due to the fact that we've had nobody anywhere near as good as him, in that respect, since.