The Partick Thistle thread

If we do sign Alabi, and it takes him a stevo-esque amount of time to score, surely this gives us permission to sing 'waiting on an alibi' by thin Lizzy ?!

Alibi means "I wasn't there".

I don't think we'll be signing him which is a real shame because we already have some 10/10 songs for him.

What makes you think we wouldn't be signing him if you don't mind me asking? Would have thought if he has already scored a couple of goals at the very least we would be keeping him as a trialist to get a further look at him?

What makes you think we wouldn't be signing him if you don't mind me asking? Would have thought if he has already scored a couple of goals at the very least we would be keeping him as a trialist to get a further look at him?

There's an interview with Archie in the Evening Times today where he talks about getting players in on loan, but the parent club wanting to use them for the first few weeks of pre-season. So it sounds like we're still chasing players, I imagine the likes of Alabi will maybe be a fallback plan.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/partick_thistle/13409164.Preparation_is_key_for_Partick_Thistle_boss_Alan_Archibald/?ref=twtrec

I'm a little concerned at where the ambition is from the club... 1 year contracts is fair enough for unknown players... But what happens next season... Most of our young quality players like frans/brannigan/Doolan are all out of contract on top of this seasons 1 year deals... And now we are going to rely on loan deals to top up the squad??

I would like to know where the real investment in the squad is going... We've had increased prize money, reduced squad size and increasing the gate by £200k for Celtic games this season.. Surely we can look to bring at least 1 marquee signing on 2/3year contract that could maybe have some sell on potential and that would bring some excitement to the fans and encourage some more season tickets.

It certainly doesn't make me want to rush down and renew my season ticket.

I just don't think we will. Just a hunch.

I'm a little concerned at where the ambition is from the club... 1 year contracts is fair enough for unknown players... But what happens next season... Most of our young quality players like frans/brannigan/Doolan are all out of contract on top of this seasons 1 year deals... And now we are going to rely on loan deals to top up the squad??

I would like to know where the real investment in the squad is going... We've had increased prize money, reduced squad size and increasing the gate by £200k for Celtic games this season.. Surely we can look to bring at least 1 marquee signing on 2/3year contract that could maybe have some sell on potential and that would bring some excitement to the fans and encourage some more season tickets.

It certainly doesn't make me want to rush down and renew my season ticket.

Ambition is not to go bust. Sounds reasonable to me. We have probably the second smallest budget in the league and finished 8th lat year. Things are OK.

Agreed. Spending gate money we don't even have yet - and aren't guaranteed to get in large amounts - isn't the way to go. We certainly don't need to sign "a marquee player on 2/3 year contract". That's not us, and probably never will be us.

Fannying about waiting for Lyle Taylor and chucking darts at the trialist board has been such a successful pre-season plan prior....

That has happened the last two years (although I diagree with the "fannying about waiting for Lyle Taylor bit) and we've been fine. I'm happy for Archie to take his time over these things. We signed Piccolo and Mark Kerr after them playing one friendly and look how they turned out. He learned quickly from his first summer and rectified it in the January then last summer he got it pretty much bang on to the point where we didn't really need any improvement in January - yes, Taylor signing in January did help us out but no one is telling me that we wouldn't have been safe if he hadn't signed. Archie seems to work best when taking his time to evaluate players so I am happy for him to do so again this year rather than waste funds, which are more precious to us than ever this year it would seem, on dross.

Fannying about waiting for Lyle Taylor and chucking darts at the trialist board has been such a successful pre-season plan prior....

Signing Taylor is not going to happen unless Taylor has no other option. I am pretty sure we all agree he'd be on more money down in league 1 than at Firhill. I mean look at SOD. And the gates down there are at least the same and in some cases higher than up here. Taylor is essentially seeing if he can pick up another club for more before he resigns himself to his last option which is us as we'll be the least money and potentially the farthest away.

If I was Archie I'd be moving on and getting the 3-4 other boys in so they can taste some of preseason. I expect a signing or two after we start the season, in mid August timeframe if last two years are anything to go by. Archie seems to know what he is doing. There is no point wasting money on players who don't cut it. Might as well use an academy product instead.

We are not going to sign untried and untested players on 2, 3 or even 4 year deals. Stevenson got a longer deal as the club knew his ability and that he would be worth the risk. It turned out well for us as he had a good initial season, albeit a slow start, but a class player for us overall.

I do agree that Archie should be offering Bannigan & Doolan new improved deals so we can make sure they stay but I also agree we are in the business of not going bust and a few hundred grand in new money doesn't mean we can go out and sign 3 or 4 marquee guys on long contracts. We are basically waiting for the fruits of the youth academy to kick in. Archie has already been pushing the idea of using 3 or 4 youngsters to help the 1st team and I see that being the mantra from the board. That $750K has to pay off and we all hope it does!!!

The young guys get into the team, sign 3-5 year deals and hopefully we can sell one or two and make some dough. That is where we are hopefully going with this.

Edited by Rednyella

Signing Taylor is not going to happen unless Taylor has no other option. I am pretty sure we all agree he'd be on more money down in league 1 than at Firhill. I mean look at SOD. And the gates down there are at least the same and in some cases higher than up here. Taylor is essentially seeing if he can pick up another club for more before he resigns himself to his last option which is us as we'll be the least money and potentially the farthest away.

I'd disagree with this slightly. While undeniably money does play a significant part in where footballers ply their trade, I'm not sure that big money is the be all and end all in Lyle Taylor's next move. He's had two great pay days in Sheffield United and Scunthorpe United over the past two summers but he is now seen as a player who can't really hack it in League One and he hasn't had a solid run of games; except when at Thistle.

He's 25 now and what he needs is a season of guaranteed games to fire his way back into people's minds before moving on again in a year. He could obviously sign for another Premiership club, for more money, but is he guaranteed to play in every game the way he is here? He likes the environment of Firhill, has a manager in Archie that would trust him(even when he does miss 4 sitters in a game) and knows he will feature in every match.

Moving to Firhill shouldn't be the last option on Lyle's mind, it should be one of his first to get a season of games under his belt and around 10-15 goals putting him back in the market for another tilt down south in 12 months.

I'd disagree with this slightly. While undeniably money does play a significant part in where footballers ply their trade, I'm not sure that big money is the be all and end all in Lyle Taylor's next move. He's had two great pay days in Sheffield United and Scunthorpe United over the past two summers but he is now seen as a player who can't really hack it in League One and he hasn't had a solid run of games; except when at Thistle.

He's 25 now and what he needs is a season of guaranteed games to fire his way back into people's minds before moving on again in a year. He could obviously sign for another Premiership club, for more money, but is he guaranteed to play in every game the way he is here? He likes the environment of Firhill, has a manager in Archie that would trust him(even when he does miss 4 sitters in a game) and knows he will feature in every match.

Moving to Firhill shouldn't be the last option on Lyle's mind, it should be one of his first to get a season of games under his belt and around 10-15 goals putting him back in the market for another tilt down south in 12 months.

Lyle Taylor won't be making 'big money' anywhere he goes and I am not convinced he got great pay days at either Sheffield Utd. and/or Scunthorpe. A good young player leaving Falkirk is not going to be picking up even 2K a week at 21-22 years old until he proves his worth and in this case it didn't work out. I bet he wasn't on more than 1k a week tops. Money plays a massive role when you're only making 500 a week and a small 'goal' and 'stay up' bonus potentially. The guys we are sign are WAY off what the likes of those at Celtic are making and Celtic players are way off what those in English Premiership are making. Heck we can't even match what Aberdeen and such are forking out for players.

The probability is his options are only a hundred quid here and there away from each other plus the potential promise of rent payment and maybe a car...it's all small things in a contract that make a difference and both sides are weighing that up but I am not confident we get him signed on. Also he would probably want a long term commitment like a 3 or 4 year contract which Thistle may not be willing to offer him. Why would Taylor more to Firhill for peanuts when he can get the same peanuts in and around an hour from where his family and friends live in England??? And if he did move back to Scotland, there are half a dozen clubs who could sign and pay him more than we can.

I understand the argument about how he has played well for us and likes the team and Archie but let's be honest you're not going to do a job 4-5 hours away from your family just cause you kind of like it when I can get the same money or more in my own country and area...are you? You're going to want to get more money and some extra perks (apartment, car etc.)

I could be way off on all this but keep in mind players want not just wages and bonuses but clubs offer perks and other items to entice players to the club. Our best bet as a club is to bring as many youngsters up and through as we possibly can and just have 3-4 players who are older more experienced (26-32) who are on larger wages within the policy of the club. This will take time of course but nice to see first batch of players on the way through.