The Partick Thistle thread

Maybe not unrelated.

The Jags Foundation, together with The Jags Trust, have been appointed as trustees of the trust holding the majority shareholding in The Partick Thistle Football Club Limited.

Replaced two of the gang of five.

19 hours ago, Nightmare said:

There have been numerous f**k-ups under Britton's watch, whether he was directly responsible for them or not.

In a rough chronological order, we've had:
- The dire financial situation last season, as a consequence of a playing budget which should never have been authorised
- The ticketing farce for the Ayr United playoff game
- Renting out the stadium to Queens Park (apparently directly against the advice of the club's ground staff)
- The entire Gary Caldwell episode which saw club legends unceremoniously and unnecessarily shown the door, and was an unmitigated disaster from start to finish

I believe he was also involved/active in putting together the farcical PTFC Trust "fan ownership" episode, which in doing so was an attempt to block the club from truly becoming a fan-owned entity. He wanted to keep Jacqui Low in power and block TJF from gaining a meaningful stake in the football club.

All the while, being paid handsomely for the privilege of this collection of incompetence and/or negligence.

I'm not sure why Gerry is being afforded the get out clause that it was all big bad Jacqui and his hands were tied. He was the Chief Executive of the football club, ffs.

Gerry Britton was a great player for Partick Thistle. Subsequently he was a poor manager, and recently an even worse CEO. I'll always have respect for what he did as a player, but anyone trying to paint his resignation as anything other than a positive thing for our football club just isn't seeing things clearly.

With the benefit of being able to look at it dispassionately from the outside, I always found it a bit odd that it looked like 99% of the blame for being a bad manager was placed on Derek Whyte as if Britton hadn't had any responsibility himself, but I get the emotional attachment to a popular player and that him coming back to the club almost 10 years later in a different role means you can overlook being a bad manager after that amount of time has passed.

Being a terrible Chief Executive can do far more damage though, and he has. We had a similar player to Chief Executive situation with Warren Hawke, whose many instances of incompetence in the role means he's not held in close to the same regard as he was before and I expect some sections of the support would genuinely be annoyed if he was invited back as a hospitality guest for a game or similar.

Britton's complicity in Low's scheming and trying to derail fan ownership is considerably worse than mere incompetence, and should really make him persona non grata in the same way as Alan Rough. Surely you can't ever have someone who tried to do that to your support wheeled out at half-time to receive adulation of the King of Spain and reminisce fondly about his playing days.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

With the benefit of being able to look at it dispassionately from the outside, I always found it a bit odd that it looked like 99% of the blame for being a bad manager was placed on Derek Whyte as if Britton hadn't had any responsibility himself, but I get the emotional attachment to a popular player and that him coming back to the club almost 10 years later in a different role means you can overlook being a bad manager after that amount of time has passed.

Being a terrible Chief Executive can do far more damage though, and he has. We had a similar player to Chief Executive situation with Warren Hawke, whose many instances of incompetence in the role means he's not held in close to the same regard as he was before and I expect some sections of the support would genuinely be annoyed if he was invited back as a hospitality guest for a game or similar.

Britton's complicity in Low's scheming and trying to derail fan ownership is considerably worse than mere incompetence, and should really make him persona non grata in the same way as Alan Rough. Surely you can't ever have someone who tried to do that to your support wheeled out at half-time to receive adulation of the King of Spain and reminisce fondly about his playing days.

I think the roles of Britton and Rough are completely different. Rough was a director, whereas Britton was an employee. A senior employee, mind you. I don’t know how much input he had in Lows scheming other than carrying out her instructions. Most of it was during Covid, when resigning would to all intents and purposes have made him unemployed with, who knew how long it would be to find another job. 

21 hours ago, Nightmare said:

There have been numerous f**k-ups under Britton's watch, whether he was directly responsible for them or not.

- The dire financial situation last season, as a consequence of a playing budget which should never have been authorised
- Renting out the stadium to Queens Park (apparently directly against the advice of the club's ground staff)
- The entire Gary Caldwell episode which saw club legends unceremoniously and unnecessarily shown the door, and was an unmitigated disaster from start to finish

I believe he was also involved/active in putting together the farcical PTFC Trust "fan ownership" episode, which in doing so was an attempt to block the club from truly becoming a fan-owned entity. He wanted to keep Jacqui Low in power and block TJF from gaining a meaningful stake in the football club.

All the while, being paid handsomely for the privilege of this collection of incompetence and/or negligence.

I'm not sure why Gerry is being afforded the get out clause that it was all big bad Jacqui and his hands were tied. He was the Chief Executive of the football club, ffs.

Gerry Britton was a great player for Partick Thistle. Subsequently he was a poor manager, and recently an even worse CEO. I'll always have respect for what he did as a player, but anyone trying to paint his resignation as anything other than a positive thing for our football club just isn't seeing things clearly.

Had been fairly reliably informed of this shortly after it was announced and that was it for me as far as he was concerned. 

Gerry Britton can be as “personable” as he wants, as CEO he was a lapdog for Low and nothing more. Nightmare has put it perfectly, and even then, there are plenty more instances of his incompetence.

The reason he didn’t leave along with Low, Rough and the rest of them was to try and dissociate himself to leave on good terms, despite being just as culpable with his involvement in the absolute shitshow on and off the park over the last few years. 

1 minute ago, Jaggy McJagface said:

Seems to have gone pretty dark on signing rumours recently.

What happened to or interest in East from QotS?

Doolan said in JZ preview still looking for 4 or 5 by end of window but hoping for one or two next week (think he's said that last 3 weeks tbf) 

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

Doolan said in JZ preview still looking for 4 or 5 by end of window but hoping for one or two next week (think he's said that last 3 weeks tbf) 

If the young boys can step up (and it looks like they can) then 4 or 5 is all we really need which is encouraging. I’d like them sooner rather than later though so they get more time to gel before the league season starts.

On 20/07/2023 at 14:56, Nightmare said:

Cant disagree with any of that - but I say that as a football fan and a neutral. 

But to be fair to him, he wasn’t responsible for your manager not being able to beat a really poor Ross County team , who played with 10 men  for 60+ mins in the first leg, and then when you were 3 up in aggregate in the second leg - you collapsed  and lost a game that should never of lost.!

Gerry cant be blamed for that - can he?

5 minutes ago, Its not only a game said:

Cant disagree with any of that - but I say that as a football fan and a neutral. 

But to be fair to him, he wasn’t responsible for your manager not being able to beat a really poor Ross County team , who played with 10 men  for 60+ mins in the first leg, and then when you were 3 up in aggregate in the second leg - you collapsed  and lost a game that should never of lost.!

I don’t think anyone’s holding him responsible for individual results, more that he’s consistently made a c**t of it off the pitch 

8 minutes ago, Its not only a game said:

Who’s blaming Britton for that? Even the manager can’t be blamed for the first half of that statement. 

Most criticisms of GB (as a CEO) have been off the field matters because that’s his role. 

Edited by JagsCG

7 hours ago, Its not only a game said:

Think this would have happened even if we had won the playoff. The timing of Britton’s resignation and the appointment of the new CEO coincides with The Jags Foundation and The Jags Trust becoming Trustees of the ownership Trust. 

8 hours ago, Its not only a game said:

BreVXmy9BxoFa.gif