The Partick Thistle thread

12 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

No chance we’re signing Mulgrew, surely. He’s almost the direct antithesis of what we’re looking to bring in.

Kerr McInroy would be a great signing though. Hasn’t played at all for Killie in the league cup so could definitely see him being away from them. 

We were linked with Mulgrew at this time last season, or am I making that up?

It's a stretch to say he was responsible for the DABs going down last season. 

Any manager that let's a bit part player ruin their authority needs binned. 

Not saying it is CM, but if such a poisonous individual, hardly likely he'd have achieved what he has, in his career.

2 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Not saying it is CM, but if such a poisonous individual, hardly likely he'd have achieved what he has, in his career.

While I have some sympathy with this view, I don't want CM anywhere near Firhill.

37 year olds buy-ins are not the future of Partick Thistle FC. Seems to me that Doolan is playing a canny game and adding to his 'assets' very carefully. This is in stark contrast to Archie who seemed to wait until two days before the window shut before panicking and signing less than stellar 'assets' (Milan Nitriansky, Dumbuya, et al).

Will never forgive Archie for wasting Stevie Lawless by playing him at LWB almost all of 17-18 season because he hadn't signed left sided defensive cover. Taking Stevie Lawless out of midfield that season cost us majorly.

Not to mention persisting with Ryan Edwards and Adam Barton as a defensive 2 in a 4-2-3-1. That was laughable.

21 minutes ago, jagfox said:

The season before last. McCall did Sportsound with him and said he’d be interested in talking to him as he was a free agent. Mulgrew obviously then signed for United, whether we were really in for him beyond that I’m not sure.

18 minutes ago, jagfox said:

I’m not saying that he was responsible for them went down - I think he was undoubtedly part of it though as part of their shambolic back line. 

I don’t know the guy and have no way to know if the rumours about him undermining Jack Ross and that other guy are true, but even if his behaviour was to be completely exemplary, he’s looked completely finished every time I’ve seen him play recently. So it’s a no from me. 

Charlie Mulgrew is another one of those players I always expected to see in a thistle shirt at some point. I wouldn't want him know though as I think he's still want a good amount in terms of wages and I don't know how reliable in terms of availability he is. Seems to have missed a lot of games through injury the last 18 months or so. He does live locally though so I can see why he may be linked. 

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

While I have some sympathy with this view, I don't want CM anywhere near Firhill.

37 year olds buy-ins are not the future of Partick Thistle FC. Seems to me that Doolan is playing a canny game and adding to his 'assets' very carefully. This is in stark contrast to Archie who seemed to wait until two days before the window shut before panicking and signing less than stellar 'assets' (Milan Nitriansky, Dumbuya, et al).

Will never forgive Archie for wasting Stevie Lawless by playing him at LWB almost all of 17-18 season because he hadn't signed left sided defensive cover. Taking Stevie Lawless out of midfield that season cost us majorly.

Not to mention persisting with Ryan Edwards and Adam Barton as a defensive 2 in a 4-2-3-1. That was laughable.

The former was class until he got injured.

I'd be happy if I never heard the latter name ever again. I haven't lost it at one of our own players like I did at Pittodrie in December that season. An absolute shitebag and lazy b*****d. Edwards wasn't great, but he left nothing on the pitch. Barton was the very definition of a wage thief. Awful.

2 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Seems to me that Doolan is playing a canny game and adding to his 'assets' very carefully. This is in stark contrast to Archie who seemed to wait until two days before the window shut before panicking and signing less than stellar 'assets' (Milan Nitriansky, Dumbuya, et al).

Not sure on this point. Nitriansky was pish but signed in time to play the first game of the season away to Hibs so was a month before the window closed and Dumbuya was a free agent signing following a trial after the window closed -and was brilliant for his first season-, neither were last day of window signings. Archibald liked throwing in a January last day signing who would never play (Jason Banton, Antonio German) but only really his last summer window, by which point he should have been gone, was bad on paper.

In the present day, I have huge reservations about our central midfield, I don't think we have anyone beyond maybe Stanway who can get the ball off the opposition, Bannigan has proven over a decade that he can't without getting booked or sent off, Alston's game isn't that, and Williamson doesn't look like it either. 

Edited by Fuctifano

21 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

In the present day, I have huge reservations about our central midfield, I don't think we have anyone beyond maybe Stanway who can get the ball off the opposition, Bannigan has proven over a decade that he can't without getting booked or sent off, Alston's game isn't that, and Williamson doesn't look like it either. 

Think it’s fair to say as yet we’ve not replaced Ross Docherty, hopefully that’s something Doolan is working on as that type of midfielder can be crucial in this division. Stanway certainly isn’t shy of a tackle though. 

Merited or unmerited, I'm very likely to dish out a lot of criticism to Ben Williamson over the coming months. He has an infuriating habit of pulling up one side of his shorts to show off his crap tattoo at any given opportunity.

Going into the season with 5 recognised defenders is a bit of a gamble. MacKenzie as cover for RB (and LB? Or Stevenson? Not too familiar with his game). Would’ve liked to have seen two more defenders and one more midfielder.

1 hour ago, Slacker said:

Going into the season with 5 recognised defenders is a bit of a gamble. MacKenzie as cover for RB (and LB? Or Stevenson? Not too familiar with his game). Would’ve liked to have seen two more defenders and one more midfielder.

Still a month or so left in the transfer window.

I'd rather we took our time and got the right players in rather than just setting bodies in the door.

Granted it will be a major concern if the defence isnt strengthened before the window slams shut.

10 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Not sure on this point. Nitriansky was pish but signed in time to play the first game of the season away to Hibs so was a month before the window closed and Dumbuya was a free agent signing following a trial after the window closed -and was brilliant for his first season-, neither were last day of window signings. Archibald liked throwing in a January last day signing who would never play (Jason Banton, Antonio German) but only really his last summer window, by which point he should have been gone, was bad on paper.

I’d say Dumbaya was brilliant first 5 months where he played nearly every game then got injured and rarely played again in the remaining 2 and a half years

7 minutes ago, third lanark said:

I’d say Dumbaya was brilliant first 5 months where he played nearly every game then got injured and rarely played again in the remaining 2 and a half years

I can't believe we kept Dumbaya on the books that long 🤣

Did he get a contract extension when he was injured? 

1 minute ago, jagfox said:

I think he got a new 2 year extension about 3 months after signing, because he’d been brilliant up until that point, then got injured in the summer after that. 

29 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Yeah as one team in Glasgow says got a contract then was injured about a month or so later unfortunately.  Once he picked up the first injury only seemed to be able to come back for a few games then get injured again 

2 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

Still a month or so left in the transfer window.

I'd rather we took our time and got the right players in rather than just setting bodies in the door.

Granted it will be a major concern if the defence isnt strengthened before the window slams shut.

I’m just going by Doolan saying he wants to bring one more defender in. We’ve only got 4 (but like I say, that’s not counting Stevenson and especially MacKenzie who would appear to be versatile enough to cover full back positions).