Still Game & Best Bits

smpar

Worst episode of the series, still absolutely no idea why Mick was even in the episode. 

Couldn't enjoy the matches as it was just totally fucking awful stuff, and I can't remember anything that cringeworthy before. 

Winston deserves his own show, only one who's been funny every episode. 

There's a really unrealistic, sort of silly feel the show has that wasn't there before that's kind of distracting. Like when the ball came to Jack and he managed to head it halfway up the pitch. Or Isa, a 70-something year old pensioner being able to dive across a bar to catch a bottle. The original series had the odd moment like that, i.e. the Big Innes episode but that was actually funny, and those moments were few and far between. As has been said the show used to focus on actual, plausible events which might affect pensioners. Now they tend to go for weird, special effects type moments too often.
Navid's cameo was hilarious though. Need an episode which focuses on him and/or Tam.

Caird’s, you could imagine old guys in a bar doing something like that. Brief where they get the motor and realise how expensive it is. The dating one, whisky tour one, winstons coupon, camping out at the station because family might be visiting, you could go on forever.

All such simple storylines but you could imagine old guys that are always down the pub getting up to stuff like that.

Same with the first two, creepy guy moving into town and everyone thinking he was the reaper and sneaking into the room above their local to get pished after it had been changed. Simple ones are the best ones, walking football seems like a good idea tbh but instead of the characters actually playing Jack and Victor going along just to manage a team could’ve been much better. Giving it the big eeen at the pub over tactics etc some team talks or whatever.

A part of me feels a bit like a few of them have forgotten how to play the characters, a lot of OTT acting like they're playing caricatures of themselves. Also as others have said the storylines have taken a bit of a daft turn too, you could never imagine an episode like Thursdays' in one of the earlier series. That said there's always a few funny moments and its still  worth watching, but i doubt it'll ever get back to what it was.

10 hours ago, throbber said:

I was sure it was going to be Big Innes which would have been hilarious. It was strange the way they bigged up the player as some sort of no nonsense hardman for it to turn out to be Navid. That part just totally didn’t work although his lunging tackle was quite funny.

They missed a trick in not making it Big Innes, the last scene would have been hilarious when Isa looked in her kit bag.

Couldn't help but compare it to the Father Ted episode 'Escape from Victory'. Not even in the same league.

That bit when the boy is knocked to the floor and all the old women shout "you're s**t, aaaahhhhhhhhhhh!" is just just priceless. Also when the old boy doesn't know what to do and it zooms out to show him standing on the goal line, wide open with the ball.

Impossible for anything to come close to that so I don't know why they bothered.

Just watched it and 5 minutes in you knew it was going to be utter shit with an obvious ending and it was. Navid, Winston's leg and ripping the piss out of Boaby in the changing rooms were the only funny moments, the rest was abysmal. 

No idea what Mick brings to the show or why he keeps reappearing as nothing he has been involved in has had any benefit to the episodes; could easily remove all his scenes and it wouldn't have been any worse.  He is just an annoying unfunny arsehole who you would dread seeing out on the streets and try to avoid.

11 hours ago, meanmistermustard said:

Just watched it and 5 minutes in you knew it was going to be utter shit with an obvious ending and it was. Navid, Winston's leg and ripping the piss out of Boaby in the changing rooms were the only funny moments, the rest was abysmal. 

No idea what Mick brings to the show or why he keeps reappearing as nothing he has been involved in has had any benefit to the episodes; could easily remove all his scenes and it wouldn't have been any worse.  He is just an annoying unfunny arsehole who you would dread seeing out on the streets and try to avoid.

He’s a cartoon character. The show has always featured cartoon characters, but it used to know how to use them sparingly, for effect (think Edith). 

My issue with the character is that it's trying to break the stereotype. Pete was a dirty smelly tramp and a typical drunken auld b*****d. But they made his character strangely loveable. I mean, you wouldn't want to cuddle the guy but he was funny and I was generally sad when his 'character' died.

With Mick they have a junkie (who we've never actually seen or heard take drugs, only booze) who comes across as some super smart person with his knowledge and philosophical thinking. Those two don't go hand in hand and only makes me angry that he's living under a bridge. I'm not sure what they are trying to achieve with him but it doesn't work for me. I can't figure out what people find funny about it. Perhaps for viewers who have only started watching from season 7 it's funny but for me I find the character totally out of place.

I'd probably find him funny if he did things you'd expect a junkie to do, like trying to steal the charity tin from the bar.

Fergie is an example of a wee b*****d that can still make you laugh and like. They've really missed the mark with this one though.