Offensive Behaviour at Football Act cave in.

Glenconner

Guest Bob Mahelp

If the SFA and SPFL did their job properly their would never have been any need for this flawed legislation.

If the cowards took some responsibility and took points off these scumbgs each and every time they sang their sectarian, bigoted trash, it would stop in a fortnight.

As we've gone a long way from the subject matter over the last few pages, a challenge to those who are opposed to the repeal of the act.

In as many or as few words as you like, explain what it achieved, why it was effective and what will happen after it is repealed that wasn't happening while it was in place.

There’s probably a fascinating PhD thesis to be written on how working class Catholics in the West of Scotland who would previously have voted for a labradoodle with a red rosette or even Michael Kelly were flipped to the SNP

I suspect@edinabear might not be the right person to write it

There’s probably a fascinating PhD thesis to be written on how working class Catholics in the West of Scotland who would previously have voted for a labradoodle with a red rosette or even Michael Kelly were flipped to the SNP

I suspect[mention=32327]edinabear[/mention] might not be the right person to write it

Was voting Labour seen as a 'Catholic thing' in Glasgow? The west coast is odd.

50 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

Indeed, esp given the links between Labour and the Orange Order.

Still no alternative to OBFA from the opposition. Greens want Strict Liability though there's no word on how they'd enforce it. I'm no legal expert but I can imagine the 'SNP Nazi' headlines were they to try and use the Scots Parly to deduct points from teams... Jeezo.

As to OBFA opposition... it still leaves me confused.

Seems to be:

• the  law is too broad and doesn't work (can be said of other laws though)
  • just use Breach of the Peace
  • but... it penalises working-class fitba fans for simply 'expressing themselves' and having political views (i.e. we don't want BotP either or any other law to infringe on our behaviour)

Personally, I don't care what law is used but the utter pash and nonsense we see mostly from the OF - be it Orange bigotry or righteous political posturing from a minority of Celtic fans had diddly squat to do with football. Most pertinently, there are other avenues for those wishing to sing Orange songs or protest about Palestine.

Labour and Tories in particular are fine with the status quo. Wonder why, eh?

Guest Bob Mahelp

I seem to remember a few years ago that those screaming the hardest for the SNP government to tackle this issue through legislation were the Catholic church, Celtic FC and Celtic fans themselves.

Having never for one moment thought that the law could be applied to them....and being stunned when they realised it did....Celtic fans then did a fabulous U-turn to become the biggest opponents of the legislation.

Lol. It's hilarious, and pathetic in equal measures.

8 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Yes the green brigade have truly gotten right behind the SNP haven’t they, I mean the near constant abuse and the incredibly cringey banners deriding the SNP just shows how behind them they are.
Scottish Nationalism and the nationalism of the bigoted Republicans etc is entirely different.
Its almost as if reading your last post that you live in a cave with no incoming information and have just typed what you think is happening.

Quite possibly the stupidest thing i’ve ever read, I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul.

The Green Brigade are strong supporters of Scottish independence though and in quite a few banners linked Irish Republican figures with Scottish hero's like Wallace.

Scottish nationalism and Irish republicanism are very different in nature but my point is that there seems to be an ever increasing support of both by the same people.

Some links below for your consideration. There are many more examples out there on social media.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/15102373.Revealed__picture_of_SNP_candidate_on_pro_IRA_march

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.newsletter.co.uk/news/snp-leaders-slammed-for-silence-on-ira-freedom-fighters-remarks-1-7806642/amp

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/politics/1709636/snp-flag-irish-republican-cumann-na-mban/amp/

My internet connection is quite good from my cave. 

4 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I seem to remember a few years ago that those screaming the hardest for the SNP government to tackle this issue through legislation were the Catholic church, Celtic FC and Celtic fans themselves.

Having never for one moment thought that the law could be applied to them....and being stunned when they realised it did....Celtic fans then did a fabulous U-turn to become the biggest opponents of the legislation.

Is there any evidence at all to support this idea that there was some sort of mass turnaround?

Irish Catholics had quite a substantial role in the development of the Labour Party in Scotland in the early 20th century particularly after the Irish Home Rule Act effectively made the Liberal Party redundant to many Irish immigrants. Other posters probably know more about why they stayed loyal to Labour for so long after that.

7 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

As we've gone a long way from the subject matter over the last few pages, a challenge to those who are opposed to the repeal of the act.

In as many or as few words as you like, explain what it achieved, why it was effective and what will happen after it is repealed that wasn't happening while it was in place.

Created a climate for the first time ever where bigots were reticent to sing bigoted songs.  Now they feel emboldened.  

8 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Created a climate for the first time ever where bigots were reticent to sing bigoted songs.  Now they feel emboldened.  

I must have imagined all those away games where OF fans were still breaking out the songbooks exactly as they were before the act was introduced.

I'm all for clamping down on sectarianism, obviously, but it was useless. It achieved absolutely nothing. It was a classic case of a government doing something just to be seen to do something regardless of how effective it actually was. No bigots were less likely to air their bigotry as a result.

There is no sectarianism in Scotland. There is only anti Irish racism hiding behind a more nebulous word.

Literally nobody gives a f**k about transubstantiation.

It's cool because it means we can all have a good laugh about it and see it is a quirky piece of Scottish culture rather than the utter embarrassment it is.

12 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I must have imagined all those away games where OF fans were still breaking out the songbooks exactly as they were before the act was introduced.

I'm all for clamping down on sectarianism, obviously, but it was useless. It achieved absolutely nothing. It was a classic case of a government doing something just to be seen to do something regardless of how effective it actually was. No bigots were less likely to air their bigotry as a result.

Did you perform a detailed study including decibel measurements to arrive at this conclusion.  There's evidence on this very thread that I'm correct.  Read the quoted tweets from bigots.  Yasser now we can sing the famine song and Billy boys for the full 90 minutes was one, meaning due to obfa he felt he couldn't.   You're going to have to supply some evidence for your view.

And being seen to do something is great, as it sends the message to these people this is not acceptable anymore.  Now the message has been sent that it is.  And I guarantee you bigoted singing at old firm games and all the negative associated societal effects home and away increases now.  Scottish society has been gleefully damaged by the unionist parties just to damage the SNP.  Plus 80% of the public support it, and the job of elected representatives is to represent the views of their constituents, hence the name.

10 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Did you perform a detailed study including decibel measurements to arrive at this conclusion.  There's evidence on this very thread that I'm correct.  Read the quoted tweets from bigots.  Yasser now we can sing the famine song and Billy boys for the full 90 minutes was one, meaning due to obfa he felt he couldn't.   You're going to have to supply some evidence for your view.

And being seen to do something is great, as it sends the message to these people this is not acceptable anymore.  Now the message has been sent that it is.  And I guarantee you bigoted singing at old firm games and all the negative associated societal effects home and away increases now.  Scottish society has been gleefully damaged by the unionist parties just to damage the SNP.  Plus 80% of the public support it, and the job of elected representatives is to represent the views of their constituents, hence the name.

That's not what an elected representative means at all.

The representative bit means to represent a geographical constituency not the views of everyone in that constituency.

We live in a parliamentary democracy not a direct democracy.

I have an atheist friend who was not raised a Catholic who was expressly denied the chance to be a guidance teacher in an RC school by the diocese. This was in SLC. He was given a mandatory transfer to a non denomination school in the area so he could further his career. 7 years he wasted in that school working to gain guidance experience that he was never going to be allowed to use because he wasn't a Catholic. I know this is the definition of anecdotal evidence but that's what happened.

Apologies this text is before the quote but I can't be fucked fixing it on my phone. 

On 28/01/2018 at 00:05, NotThePars said:

Well I mean it didn’t affect MY promotion cause I flunked out from being more concerned with taking pills and pissing about but I was raised Catholic. There were plenty of teachers in the school who were ostensibly protestant that were either teaching or were leading a department. Out with the RE department* which is admittedly decades behind the modern Catholic school set up in my experience is pretty much normal.

*I’m only slagging the RE dept because I had to sit and listen to a fucking Franciscan friar who would’ve been drumming for some shit metal band drone on about his “community” for an hour and a half.