Offensive Behaviour at Football Act cave in.

Glenconner

I have an atheist friend who was not raised a Catholic who was expressly denied the chance to be a guidance teacher in an RC school by the diocese. This was in SLC. He was given a mandatory transfer to a non denomination school in the area so he could further his career. 7 years he wasted in that school working to gain guidance experience that he was never going to be allowed to use because he wasn't a Catholic. I know this is the definition of anecdotal evidence but that's what happened.
Apologies this text is before the quote but I can't be fucked fixing it on my phone. 

I don’t doubt that it happens. I don’t take issue with anecdotal evidence, forming political views purely around statistics is oddball behaviour.

56 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Peppino asking for a detailed study including decibel measurements after providing a tweet to back up his own assertions is yet more top tier posting.

You can't just make an assertion that there has been no.change in bigoted singing cause you still hear some.  Is it less often?  Does it involve less people?  A simple assertion proves nothing.  The tweet i mentioned is an example of the reaction of.the people targeted therefore entirely relevant.

There is no sectarianism in Scotland. There is only anti Irish racism hiding behind a more nebulous word.

Literally nobody gives a f**k about transubstantiation.

It's cool because it means we can all have a good laugh about it and see it is a quirky piece of Scottish culture rather than the utter embarrassment it is.

What a load of crap.

5 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

What a load of crap.

He's right. Neither side give a f**k about religious doctrine. Both sides like marching with drums and flags. The only thing dividing them is what football team they support.

He's right. Neither side give a f**k about religious doctrine. Both sides like marching with drums and flags. The only thing dividing them is what football team they support.

He never said that. He parroted the line propagated by The Irish republican movement in Scotland in claiming that it was all one way and only directed at those of Irish descent and

30 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

He never said that. He parroted the line propagated by The Irish republican movement in Scotland in claiming that it was all one way and only directed at those of Irish descent and

Anti Irish racism has been ecumenical since the Plantations. Both sides bang on about their opposite side across the sea. Heard the Celtic support has dropped in the South in favour of English teams. Wish both would start supporting their own local teams instead of encouraging the embarrassment of daftness in Scotland. Though they'd probably concentrate on Israel v Palestine instead.

9 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I seem to remember a few years ago that those screaming the hardest for the SNP government to tackle this issue through legislation were the Catholic church, Celtic FC and Celtic fans themselves.

Having never for one moment thought that the law could be applied to them....and being stunned when they realised it did....Celtic fans then did a fabulous U-turn to become the biggest opponents of the legislation.

Lol. It's hilarious, and pathetic in equal measures.

Pretty much spot on.

1 hour ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Go on then.

All ears to hear about the discrimination the Scottish/protestant community has faced over the past 200 years.

I'll start us off to save time

CK: can't be a head of a Catholic school

IA: it's an excellent example of positive discrimination enabling an oppressed community to develop an educated class that enabled social mobility within that community

CK:    .........

1 hour ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

It appears you were right.

50 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It appears you were right.

I mean it both ways.

There are certainly bigoted catholics/ celtic fans/ scots of irish descent.  The idea that has had any community impact upon protestants/indigenous Scots is utterly ludicrous.

The discrimination faced by Irish immigrants to central Scotland had its roots in anti Catholic feeling but had a fair bit of racism and protectionism attached. By the time we get to the middle of the 20th Century it is almost entirely racist rather than religious.

7 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I mean it both ways.

There are certainly bigoted catholics/ celtic fans/ scots of irish descent.  The idea that has had any community impact upon protestants/indigenous Scots is utterly ludicrous.

That just depends on your neighbours and potential employers. It goes both ways, as you say.

Edited by welshbairn

12 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Go on then.

All ears to hear about the discrimination the Scottish/protestant community has faced over the past 200 years.

I'll start us off to save time

CK: can't be a head of a Catholic school

IA: it's an excellent example of positive discrimination enabling an oppressed community to develop an educated class that enabled social mobility within that community

CK:    .........

Is the Catholic community still oppressed in Scotland?

Not in my opinion but I'm not Catholic.
Good point though. Another victory for Catholic schools.

The extent of the anti-Catholic bullying I’ve suffered in my life has been getting called a Catholic b*****d in primary school. Fairly sure famous commentator Angela Hegarty took Limmy’s brother to court over anti-Irish bigotry a few years back, no?

The extent of the anti-Catholic bullying I’ve suffered in my life has been getting called a Catholic b*****d in primary school. Fairly sure famous commentator Angela Hegarty took Limmy’s brother to court over anti-Irish bigotry a few years back, no?

I had my lip split open by some radge from the school across the park

I’ve no idea if it was sectarian or not

On 1/30/2018 at 20:04, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I had my lip split open by some radge from the school across the park

I’ve no idea if it was sectarian or not

Which foot did he kick you with?..

• 1 month later...