Offensive Behaviour at Football Act cave in.

Glenconner

15 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Mostly a bunch of daft wee boys who are caught up in the growing "Ultras" scene who were trying to be edgy and provocative, emboldened by the thought that their team had a half chance of actually winning a big game for a change. The nazi salutes and the anti catholic bile should have seen a few of them lifted but the police done nothing. OBAF is still in place so quite how that offered encouragement I don't know.

I get the 'anti-Catholic bile' part, but I haven't seen anything to convince me there was anything unusually sinister about it all, despite having seen social media claims, of right-wing, Combat 18 involvement and the like.

Just now, Baxter Parp said:

Sure, and I've already said that the signal to the police was to not bother since the OBFA is getting repealed, right?

So the police were told not to apply the laws that are currently in place? Who told the police not to bother?

4 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

Aren't Nazi salutes, sectarian slurs and violent imagery enough for you?

I've not seen any 'violent imagery' at all...maybe I've not been looking hard enough though.

The sectarian slurs are par for the course on both sides of that bigot-fest, and while not condoning it in the slightest, I'm not sure what the difference is this time.

C'mon, we all know they weren't nazi salutes...wee fannies, sticking their imaginary 'red-hands of ulster' in the air, not some sort of Hitler-worship.

Just now, ONeils40yarder said:

I've not seen any 'violent imagery' at all...maybe I've not been looking hard enough though.

Their banner had a depiction of someone beating up a celtic fan.

1 minute ago, ONeils40yarder said:

The sectarian slurs are par for the course on both sides of that bigot-fest, and while not condoning it in the slightest, I'm not sure what the difference is this time.

For me, par for the course is to be outraged and condemn sectarianism and bigotry of any type.

2 minutes ago, ONeils40yarder said:

C'mon, we all know they weren't nazi salutes...wee fannies, sticking their imaginary 'red-hands of ulster' in the air, not some sort of Hitler-worship.

There is no such thing as a "Red Hand of Ulster" salute, they made it up to justify their Nazi salutes.

Just now, Baxter Parp said:

Their banner had a depiction of someone beating up a celtic fan.

:lol:....violent imagery

For me, par for the course is to be outraged and condemn sectarianism and bigotry of any type.

I agree here

There is no such thing as a "Red Hand of Ulster" salute, they made it up to justify their Nazi salutes.

Yes, there is...so don't talk shite.

4 minutes ago, ONeils40yarder said:

Yes, there is...so don't talk shite.

Dates all the way back to 2007.

http://www.irishnews.com/news/2013/10/28/news/symbolism-of-red-hand-74095/

When Rangers fans were investigated by Uefa in 2007 for making what looked like one-armed Nazi salutes in Tel-Aviv, the club said supporters were in fact saluting in support of Ulster loyalism.

However, historian Ian S Wood who has studied loyalism extensively said he had "never seen or heard of anything called a red hand salute".

6 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

Dates all the way back to 2007.

http://www.irishnews.com/news/2013/10/28/news/symbolism-of-red-hand-74095/

When Rangers fans were investigated by Uefa in 2007 for making what looked like one-armed Nazi salutes in Tel-Aviv, the club said supporters were in fact saluting in support of Ulster loyalism.

However, historian Ian S Wood who has studied loyalism extensively said he had "never seen or heard of anything called a red hand salute".

Whether a historian recognises it or not, thats what the symbolism is about. 

18 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

The Scottish Parliament when they voted to repeal the OBFA.

Has the repeal been implemented already?

if so, why didn’t the police arrest people under one of the many other laws you agree could have been utilised?

2 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Has the repeal been implemented already?

if so, why didn’t the police arrest people under one of the many other laws you agree could have been utilised?

The first reading of the repeal has gone through, it's not off the books yet. 

5 minutes ago, ONeils40yarder said:

Its sectarian...not fascist

I’d probably side with Parp on this one. The symbolism is too well known. Fits in with my view of them being deliberately provocative and attempting to be edgy to say it is something else though.