Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

I think the likes of Blyth and Kennedy are probably lost causes but I suppose if nothing else there's a bit of cover with them being there. 

Tbf, McGhee said Blyth might make the bench at the weekend! :lol: 

That's right.  The game was scheduled for 1st February, but moved forward 24 hours "at the request of both clubs".

So if the fans didn't want it, and the manager of Motherwell didn't want it, who agreed to the switch?

Looking stronger after the window which is the way you want it.

Pearson was excellent in his second spell and gave us not only goals from midfield but also a really physical presence when we weren't on the ball.  If he can repeat that I'm sure it will be to the benefit of the club.

One area where we need to improve is to get more goals out of the squad because we are very dependent on Moult and McDonald.  Pearson will help in this but one area where I'd like to see improvement would be to get goals out of our centre halves.  We have two big guys in McManus and Heneghan and really I think we should be expecting them to be getting at least a couple of goals a season at set pieces. 

If the pair of them could get even 5 goals between them in a season that has the potential to actually make quite a big difference to our league placing. 

Look how important Boyata's goals have been for Celtic recently or over a wider period Liam Lindsay at Partick.  Those goals can easily turn into an extra 3, 4, 5, 6 points. 

Edited by Ya Bezzer!

One area where we need to improve is to get more goals out of the squad because we are very dependent on Moult and McDonald.  Pearson will help in this but one area where I'd like to see improvement would be to get goals out of our centre halves.  We have two big guys in McManus and Heneghan and really I think we should be expecting them to be getting at least a couple of goals a season at set pieces. 

This is something that's really struck me as well though to extend the point the number of chances that we seem to spurn as a result of Heneghan giving away free kicks at attacking set pieces is utterly infuriating. I don't know if that actually is the case or whether it's just a confirmation bias on my part but it seems like almost every other attacking free kick we get there's an infringement against us called.

"Rant"

Kilmarnock away moved from the Wednesday to Saturday. Cheers for that. Booked Trains and the Day off for the game.

Second time it's happened to me, was going to Ross County away Wednesday and got moved to a Tuesday when me and mate who was coming both in work.

"Rant"

I need a bit of time to think about whether putting "Rant" at the start and end of a post is worse than putting RANT OVER at the end of a post.

I'll get back to you in due course.

"Rant"
Kilmarnock away moved from the Wednesday to Saturday. Cheers for that. Booked Trains and the Day off for the game.
Second time it's happened to me, was going to Ross County away Wednesday and got moved to a Tuesday when me and mate who was coming both in work.
"Rant"

Have you wandered out of Steelmen online unaccompanied?

Interesting statement from the club on the McHugh red card and then not appealing it. Seems a much more sensible approach than appealing a charge they know won't be reduced, wasting everyone's time and MFC's money in the process. http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2017/02/08/statement-carl-mchughs-red-card/

This is the bit that caught my attention;

"However, that means they need to be applied consistently across the board and any law or criteria that allows for such a broad scope of individual interpretation is, in Motherwell FC’s view, a flawed one.

In addition, the club has also asked for, and has been granted, time with the Scottish FA’s Head of Referee Operations to go through with the playing squads some of the recent examples which have merited a red card and those that, for what look like identical offences, have only been issued with a caution to explain what, if any, differences there are and detail fully what IFAB advise when considering excessive force."

I'd imagine that'll be pointing to Rob Kiernan's tackle on Hammell and Larnell Cole's challenge on Lucas (amongst others) both of which only received yellows.

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Interesting statement from the club on the McHugh red card and then not appealing it. http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2017/02/08/statement-carl-mchughs-red-card/

This is the bit that caught my attention;

"However, that means they need to be applied consistently across the board and any law or criteria that allows for such a broad scope of individual interpretation is, in Motherwell FC’s view, a flawed one.

In addition, the club has also asked for, and has been granted, time with the Scottish FA’s Head of Referee Operations to go through with the playing squads some of the recent examples which have merited a red card and those that, for what look like identical offences, have only been issued with a caution to explain what, if any, differences there are and detail fully what IFAB advise when considering excessive force."

I'd imagine that'll be pointing to Rob Kiernan's tackle on Hammell and Larnell Cole's challenge on Lucas (amongst others) both of which only received yellows.

If you open that up to football in general you could find literally hundreds of identical tackles that weren't red cards. I mean fair enough, he caught Cowie and it was a red. But there then needs to be consistency across the board where any tackle like that is a red card. 

8 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Twist and pout though lads, eh?

:lol:  At least they're trying, we've got to give them that. 

I'm not sure if I cringed more for that, or "Bois Club"

8 hours ago, well fan for life said:

If you open that up to football in general you could find literally hundreds of identical tackles that weren't red cards. I mean fair enough, he caught Cowie and it was a red. But there then needs to be consistency across the board where any tackle like that is a red card. 

On the consistency point. This is a yellow card offence according to the bold Bobby Madden.

xpxM_e.gif

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

On the consistency point. This is a yellow card offence according to the bold Bobby Madden.

xpxM_e.gif

There's no difference between that challenge, McHugh's, Kiernan's or McDonalds. All got the ball first then followed through onto the man. There can't be a middle ground, it's either every one a booking, or every one a red.