Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I've got a really strong suspicion Robinson will be our next permanent manager, at least until the end of the season. On the face of it he doesn't seem to have done a great job at Oldham under difficult circumstances. Hopefully he hits the ground running, or we could be in serious bother.

I think this highlights the conundrum the board face. We have a huge rebuilding job next season as the club will effectively have to rebuild the team. I also don't see Lasley, McDonald or Hammell staying on, someone will sign Moult and potentially Cadden and a new manager will realise that we aren't very good. So it is an ideal time for some fresh thinking and ideas at the club.

But the most pressing issue is to keep the club in the Premiership. So that calls for an experienced head but the names mentioned on Twitter - Pressley, Stubbs and Duffy can get to f**k.

I think we really are fucked.

ETA: I completely forgot that Gary Locke and Barry Ferguson are unemployed...

I've been wondering recently if we haven't been trying to be a wee bit too canny with our transfer policy. Of the National League bunch, Moult and Johnson have been definite successes, Heneghan and Tait have been decent so far. The rest have all never got a consistent run of games or not looked good enough when they have played.

Using Thistle as an example, Dumbuya, Amoo, Osman,Edwards and Barton have all came with Championship/League 1 experience and looked far better than the likes of Clay,Jules or Bowman so far. I realise we aren't in a position to pry players away from clubs in the top 3 or 4 English leagues but I'd doubt Thistle are paying much more than we are. I wonder if it might be worth it in the long run to push the boat out slightly to sign guys from League 1/2 instead, like we did with Mchugh.

That said, it's possibly down more to a failure in our execution so far rather than the strategy, which I think is sound. After all, Theo Robinson and Jake Taylor were both internationals that had played in the Championship

As an aside, I'm utterly raging that Thistle got Ryan Edwards from Reading while they papped us Zak Jules and Jake Taylor.

If Archie went to another bottom 7 club it would be a backwards step. He has built us to where we are now and has been planning for the long term. So it can't even be argued as a sideways step tbh.

I'm going to come across as a dick here but I completely disagree......ourselves, Motherwell and Dundee and at a stretch Caley would be a step up from Partick, Hamilton and Ross County.

1 minute ago, Dindeleux said:

I'm going to come across as a dick here but I completely disagree......ourselves, Motherwell and Dundee and at a stretch Caley would be a step up from Partick, Hamilton and Ross County.

Don't think you're a dick for having an opinion, I just don't agree with you dude

File it under agree to disagree then

Good riddance to that arrogant, pig headed, self important, media darling, Celtic loving w**k.
I, like many other Well fans did not want him anywhere near the job the last time we were looking for a manager after his conduct and attitude towards us in his previous spell and he did nothing during his return to change my feelings towards him. I can honestly say that I have never felt more disconnected with the club than I have since McGhee was allowed to return as the man was nothing but a permanent embarrassment to the club and he treated the job and the club with contempt.
Fair play to the board, I did not think they would have sacked him but they did so well done for doing the right thing. 
I will not miss that man being involved with my club. 
[emoji4]

Hopefully he gets the Rangers job.

1 hour ago, Dindeleux said:

Even if you include the stature of club, where Thistle are a rung below Dundee, Well and Killie (not ICT, imo), why would Archibald leave a financially stable club where he's appreciated and given license to operate as he pleases? Especially for someone like Killie who are something of a basket case.

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

Even if you include the stature of club, where Thistle are a rung below Dundee, Well and Killie (not ICT, imo), why would Archibald leave a financially stable club where he's appreciated and given license to operate as he pleases? Especially for someone like Killie who are something of a basket case.

I know what you are saying but I still think he would depending on the wage we offered, probably all comes down to money.  He would move to Ibrox too despite it being more of a basket case than we are and more of a poisoned chalice.

I've heard strong rumours tonight that Owen Coyle may be the new manager.   Personally id be surprised if he was willing to take it unless he feels he needs to get back up to work his ticket back down south.

He's moved to 3/1 in the betting. Not that that actually means anything I suppose.

I'd be surprised myself if he'd take it though equally I can't imagine him getting another English Championship job any time soon.

20 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

I know what you are saying but I still think he would depending on the wage we offered, probably all comes down to money.  He would move to Ibrox too despite it being more of a basket case than we are and more of a poisoned chalice.

I don't think money is the be all & end all. Archibald knocked back Shrewsbury earlier this season, who I'd guess would have been offering more money, being a League One club in England. I think his rejection of that move came down to roughly the same thinking that I'd say is why we'll never see him join a slightly bigger club in our own division; in that his current situation is far more secure than what he'd be moving to.

It would take a bigger club than Kilmarnock, Motherwell or lower-half League One to prise him away. Rangers would be a different story. Obviously they're an absolute shambles off the pitch, but it's a clearly a far bigger job, and would pay like it as well. Thankfully they're too stupid to go for someone like Archibald, so we don't have to worry about that.

40 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I don't think money is the be all & end all. Archibald knocked back Shrewsbury earlier this season, who I'd guess would have been offering more money, being a League One club in England. I think his rejection of that move came down to roughly the same thinking that I'd say is why we'll never see him join a slightly bigger club in our own division; in that his current situation is far more secure than what he'd be moving to.

It would take a bigger club than Kilmarnock, Motherwell or lower-half League One to prise him away. Rangers would be a different story. Obviously they're an absolute shambles off the pitch, but it's a clearly a far bigger job, and would pay like it as well. Thankfully they're too stupid to go for someone like Archibald, so we don't have to worry about that.

You are possibly right and I certainly wouldn't put any money on Archibald leaving Partick to come to us if the opportunity arose. 

I see some people's choice, Jim Duffy, has written a timely column in the Sun showing disbelief that the "board" at 'Well would ask "the supporters" their opinion before sacking McGhee. He somehow thinks that letting "supporters into the Boardroom" is a problem - the bizarre inference being that boards without supporters' rep's somehow make more rational decisions - something that is patently nonsense given the decisions that traditional Boards have been responsible for over the years. 

He seems totally unaware that in this case, the "supporters" are actually part of the main board (and are not in a majority in any case AFAIK). These Reps are party to the same information as the other Directors and are making decisions from the the same position. It isn't as if they balloted the members of the 'Well society before making their decision and have overruled the other Directors (the only such ballot was whether or not to admit The Rangers into the SPL, called by our traditional board at the time).

I didn't favour Duffy anyway as I remember that Hibs team he relegated against all the odds - but the pish in that column means he can f**k off basically...

Another Barry Ferguson .
Gets a full page in the paper every week to fill with absolute nonsense about anything other than the club he works for.
I wonder how he feels about Hearts fans involvement at a club his old boss almost wiped out.

Never wanted Duffy to start with I must admit.  I'm also not thrilled at the prospect of Alan Stubbs either, failed to get hibs out the championship twice only mirrored by the fact he won the Scottish cup and jumped ship to cover the disappointment of missing out on promotion a 3rd time.

Simo Valakari is punting himself for the job again.

He seems to have a good record in Finland, getting his team promoted, winning the top league and a couple of cups.

Could be good, could be shite. Certainly won't be Jim fucking Duffy.