Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

24 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Said to my da the other night that if we're relegated I won't even be that arsed. We've been so tragically shit this season it would be absolutely deserved.

Aye. Difficult to disagree, we've be dreadful, had every opportunity to avoid it, and somehow still right in the mix. 

Add in to that, the crushing disappointment of consistently almost being good, Celtic at home, Rangers at home in the League Cup, Rangers away in the Scottish cup and following up every win with a shitty result. Lee Lucas. All that shite.

Aberdeen at home just before Christmas is underrated as far as our hilariously tragic season goes IMO. McDonald scoring a worldly and Samson's brief moment of redemption cancelled out by Rooney scoring the rebound,Moult missing a penalty and all round horrendous defending. Summed up our season in a microcosm.

Aberdeen at home just before Christmas is underrated as far as our hilariously tragic season goes IMO. McDonald scoring a worldly and Samson's brief moment of redemption cancelled out by Rooney scoring the rebound,Moult missing a penalty and all round horrendous defending. Summed up our season in a microcosm.

Fucking hell. I'd forgotten about that.

Total dive from Rooney, but Samson's the daft b*****d that dropped a tame shot. Again.

I've got a weird query.

I'm trying to place a particular moment, which I'm confident I didn't imagine, but am happy to stand corrected.

David Clarkson was down the east stand side, and from memory, knocked the ball inside Hinkel and ran the other way around him. Did this happen, and if so, when?

I've got a weird query.
I'm trying to place a particular moment, which I'm confident I didn't imagine, but am happy to stand corrected.
David Clarkson was down the east stand side, and from memory, knocked the ball inside Hinkel and ran the other way around him. Did this happen, and if so, when?

I remember that well! It was a rainy Sunday lunchtime game and...

Nah, only kidding. Of course I don't fucking remember a random bit of a game against Celtic (which I assume we lost) which must have taken place, given the players involved, at least eight years ago, and quite possibly only exists in your head.

Fucking hell, Graeme. Pull yerself together. We're in a relegation battle here.

2 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

As recently as February we were 6th in the league.

People forget that earlier in the season there were some excellent performances.  Put 4 past Ross County and Hamilton at Fir Park and beat Partick 2-0 when the score line flattered the visitors.  Then there was the excellent performance against Celtic that we did not deserve to lose and probably should have won.

The away match at Dundee was a foreshadowing of what was to become - bizarre refereeing decisions, schizophrenic half decent, half awful performances, inability to score a goal, stupid individual errors at crucial times....

We've also had horrendous injuries and suspensions and I reckon we've never actually played our strongest team all season due to them.  Our fixture list has been pretty horrendous too.  Coming back from the winter break we played Rangers twice, Aberdeen, Celtic and Hearts in less than a month.

In a sense I think a lot has gone against us, hopefully that will even out at the end of the season, but that's where we've been and where we are and players have to stand up and be counted.  They haven't done that for the most part in the last two matches which is very disappointing.

41 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

I've got a weird query.

Haha wtf. 

2014/15 11th - McCall. Resigns after period of team rebuilding and big budget cuts. Were 10th or worse for most of the season up to resignation.
2014/15 11th - Barraclough.  Finishes 2nd bottom. Rangers play off wins paper over cracks.
2015/16 10th - Barraclough. 'Leaves' on run of 8 defeats from 14 league matches.
2015/16 5th  - McGhee. Returns and sees a huge improvement, bringing on Cadden and Hall to become important first team players.
2016/17 10th - McGhee. Results dip after period of injuries and suspensions
2016/17 11th - Robinson. Takes over but sees Motherwell drop into the bottom two.

That's our recent history and one part stands out from the rest.  Truth is the only guy that's been able to do anything with Motherwell is probably the manager who has been most vilified...

Weeks in Top 6 since 2014/15 - Mark McGhee - 18 (from 54); Stuart McCall - 2 (from 12); Ian Barraclough - 1 (from 30); Steve Robinson - 0 (from 6). Perhaps unfair on Robinson but worth pointing out that all McCall and Barraclough's top 6 weeks were within the first two weeks of the season.

Being the Motherwell manager is a very, very hard gig.  It clearly wore down McGhee who was a good and experienced manager.  I don't envy anyone in the hot seat to be honest.

Edited by Ya Bezzer!

I'm just thinking out loud here tbh but my recollection of the playoff season was that we were just a shite team that lost every week because we deserved to, in contrast to this season where I think the general perception is we are a mediocre side that have been hampered by bad luck,officiating, injuries and decision making at times, without ever being quite as awful as the 14/15 team. Had a look at Statto and found it quite surprising that we are actually 2 points worse off than at this stage in the 14/15 season. Prompted me to think a bit more about both teams and I'm not really sure which could be classed as "better".

Long

Law Laing McManus Straker

Pearson Lasley

Ainsworth McDonald Johnson

Erwin

Vs

Samson

Heneghan Mchugh Jules

Cadden Frear

Pearson Clay

Gordon

McDonald Bowman

(formatting has fucked my 3-5-2)

Obviously we more or less signed half a team on #BaracloughDay and this current team are decimated by injuries making this an even more pointless exercise on my part.

1 hour ago, ropy said:

What is our best 11 and how often have they played together?

Depends really. Are we talking *best* with everyone playing to the top of their game/potential or *best* with the sort of form they've shown this season?

If it's the former then I'd go:

Samson

Tait Heneghan McManus Hammell

Ainsworth Cadden McHugh Pearson

McDonald Moult

Edit: actually, thinking about it a bit more I'd probably say I'd rather have McHugh at centre half than Heneghan tbh. So I'm revising it to:

Samson

Tait McHugh McManus Hammell

Ainsworth Cadden Pearson Frear

McDonald Moult

Edited by capt_oats
totally forgot about McHugh #baller