Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

8 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Gateshead friendly Sat 8th July 12 o c kick off...... 

Grrr that's local to me but I'm already committed that day.....

Those friendly dates from the official site;
Stirling (A) - 1st July,
Livingston (A) - 4th July.
Gateshead (A) - 8th July

with one match still to be confirmed on Tue/Wed 11th and 12th July.

In other news, that's the new sponsor announced.

DBoEwKEXgAIDx08.jpg:large

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Those friendly dates from the official site;
Stirling (A) - 1st July,
Livingston (A) - 4th July.
Gateshead (A) - 8th July

with one match still to be confirmed on Tue/Wed 11th and 12th July.

In other news, that's the new sponsor announced.

DBoEwKEXgAIDx08.jpg:large

They seem to be around a fair bit in Scottish football. Would take most over Cash Converters anyway.

2 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Hadn't heard of the boy Tanner but having had a look he's managed 12 goals and 8 assists in 41 starts over his last two seasons on loan at Plymouth. Doesn't always seem to have been a regular starter for whatever reason but most of their fans seem to have been generally pretty positive in their comments about him. Seem to all be in agreement that he has a bit of ability at least, plus he's young and seemingly versatile so there's something there to work with.

Three in already and a few more to come this week, it's all terribly exciting. Expecting one of them to be Carson. 

I'd imagine he's the one Scott Mullen is talking about in the tweet he put up there.

Edit: Griffiths also set to sign AND we're bringing in an attacking midfielder AND we're offering the bold Louis Moult a new deal.

Edited by capt_oats

If anything it's refreshing to see a manager realise that a keeper should be a priority, not an afterthought. From McGhee letting Samson be his number 1 just cause he was kicking about to Baraclough signing Ripley on the loan the day before the season started and McCall allowing Marshall to sign Gunnar Nielsen and promoting Hollis/Twardzik to number one it's always seemed like a position we've not given much thought to when in reality it signing a good keeper should really be a priority.

Paying a fee for a 29 year old with no resale value and giving him a 3 year deal suggests Robinson has pushed hard to get him and obviously see's the need for a solid and reliable goalkeeper.

Hopefully Carson can be just that.

Edited by Casagolda

8 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Robinson certainly seems keen on him.

Paying a fee, regardless of how small it may be (the tweet that I saw when I first mentioned him suggested £20k which sounds about our ball park) and the 3 year deal is quite the statement for faith in him.

Looking at Hartlepool's forum they seem genuinely gutted he's gone (and raging if they only got £20k for him). He's been in the Northern Ireland squads alongside McGovern and Mannus and at 29 he's a good age for a goalkeeper. The question really is whether he's actually any good or not. Assuming Griffiths signs up, which sounds like it's essentially done and dusted then I'd like to think with Robinson having been willing play him after Samson fell to bits then we might actually have 2 goalkeepers who the manager has faith in and we might see a bit of competition for the position.

Judging by the tweets on Hartlepool's announcement, their fans are pretty disappointed to see him go which is good.

As has been mentioned above, keeper seems to be a position we've neglected a bit recently. If we go back to our good teams of a few years ago, we always had a top class keeper in Ruddy and Randolph as a foundation so for Robinson to obviously be highlighting this and pushing for a good keeper is encouraging.

AFC Wimbledon and Queen of the South fan in peace here. Craig Tanner played 16 games on loan for Wimbleon before he was sent to Plymouth. His loan agreement stipulated that he had to start every game if he was fit and he was very disappointing. He's not a winger or striker but supposedly one of those mercurial players that drops deep/plays off a big striker/in the hole. i.e. versatile but not really great at anything.

He seems to have been a bit better at Plymouth judging by appearances/goal stats but never showed against AFCW when we played them in the 2015/6 playoff final at Wembley, the Dons beating the Pilgrims 2-0. Down South, League 2  is probably his level and I doubt that Plymouth were that desperate to keep him having been promoted to L1.

Good luck to him though, always tried his best despite obvious shortcomings. Be interested to see how he gets on in the SPL, assuming he gets games. He's still only 23, so with good coaching and a fair wind, he might well prove me wrong. 

I guess he can activate the extension (although why we were handing an extension to someone of that age, regardless of his excellent service, is a mystery) - but Robinson doesn't need to play him. A season on the bench wouldn't seem to be an attractive option for Keith either - but he might view it as a year to buff up his coaching CV before making a move to lower division management in 2018/2019.

3 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

Robinson just confirmed that Lasley activated a one year playing contract clause. I'm a bit disappointed with that as much as I love the guy he's no longer playing at a high enough standard.

In terms of Lasley Robinson he would be sitting down to discuss a couple things with Keith which sounded to me like he'd rather do more off field things than playing at least that's how I took it.  There's no way he will be first choice as a player next season with the signings brought in so far.

29 minutes ago, Del_Superwell said:

In terms of Lasley Robinson he would be sitting down to discuss a couple things with Keith which sounded to me like he'd rather do more off field things than playing at least that's how I took it.  There's no way he will be first choice as a player next season with the signings brought in so far.

How many times have we heard this though?

Lasley is still better than most of the midfielders we have, guys being brought in are unproven and all it takes is for a serious injury to someone like McHugh and we are desperate to have Lasley around.

Would still play Lasley over Clay if I was picking the the team on the first day of next season.