Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Agree on Griffiths. Between him and Carson you kind of feel that there might actually be a legitimate bit of competition for the first choice position rather than the weird default situation we had last season.

In other news. No Lasley in the squad list just announced. His #14 is vacant. Let the speculation commence.
Cadden gets #7 and Frear gets Bowman's #11 shirt.

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2017/06/21/squad-numbers-for-201718/

Agree on Griffiths. Between him and Carson you kind of feel that there might actually be a legitimate bit of competition for the first choice position rather than the weird default situation we had last season.
In other news. No Lasley in the squad list just announced. His #14 is vacant. Let the speculation commence.
Cadden gets #7 and Frear gets Bowman's #11 shirt.
http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2017/06/21/squad-numbers-for-201718/

Burrows tweeted that the assistant job would be announced today.
Looking more like Lasley now.

And let the speculation cease. Lasley's the new assistant (to the surprise of no one) and he's retired.

Actually interested to hear how his interview for the YouTube channel compares to McFadden. Either way, he's got his pro-licence and he seems to genuinely see a pathway for himself on the coaching side of things.

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/?p=62704

DC2JRPzXkAAf50q.jpg:large

Edited by capt_oats

11 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm actually quite interested in seeing who our new captain will be. McManus seems the obvious choice, unless he's crocked. Seen a few people suggesting Mchugh. Moult as an leftfield shout to bribe him into staying?

Given McHugh ended up captaining the side at the tail end of the season you'd think he'd be a favourite. Agree McManus seems the obvious choice but Robinson seems to be looking at a bit of a clean slate approach.

You could pick any from McHugh, Moult or Cadden along with obvious options like McManus and Hammell who might fit more of a club captain role.

Excellent news about Semple signing a pro deal as well. http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2017/06/21/youngsters-pen-professional-deals/

Edited by capt_oats

22 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Ps Moult for captain (emotional blackmail)

He'd be a great Captain - hadn't really thought about that as I've always assumed he'll be offski this summer. Make him the highest paid player and captain and it would be very rude for him to leave :)

1 hour ago, NM_1919 said:

Do you's think Dom Thomas will get kept on at you's or punted on? Just with the business you's have done and rumoured to be doing, doesn't look like he'll get much of a chance?

He's got a year left on his deal but it's difficult to see where he'll get any sort of regular game time here tbh. Frear will be first choice on the left side and Cadden will be right midfield. We've brought in Tanner who can play left or right and then you had Ross MacLean starting ahead of Thomas last season. The squad are away on a training camp in Ireland next week, I'd imagine he'll get the opportunity to make some sort of impression there after his loan at Queen of the South.

I don't think it'd be a huge surprise to anyone if he's loaned out again though. Right now the Championship seems to be his level.

I could see quite a few of the key players in our u20s side being loaned out this season. Craigan mentioned at the end of the January window that ideally he'd have liked Hastie and Turnbull to have been out on loan but they were limited with what they could do as the squad was quite thin. Given MacLean missed a fair chunk of last season through various injuries it'll be interesting to see whether he's kept around for the first team or whether he's loaned out to get games as well.

Edit to add: not our problem any more but that's the P&J reporting SuperJoe and David Ferguson are training with ICT.

Edited by capt_oats

8 minutes ago, RiG said:

We have Joe Chalmers on trial. What's he like?

Heck of a nice guy apparently but an awful, awful footballer.

Slow, can't defend and seems to have no positional sense or defensive awareness whatsoever. Absolutely mystifying how he's played for Scotland right through the age groups and even made into the Celtic first team reckoning.

Good luck with that.

Just now, Casagolda said:

Heck of a nice guy apparently but an awful, awful footballer.

Slow, can't defend and seems to have no positional sense or defensive awareness whatsoever. Absolutely mystifying how he's played for Scotland right through the age groups and even made into the Celtic first team reckoning.

Good luck with that.

Smashing. Just what I wanted to hear...

Spoiler

tumblr_md1lmfKfGa1rr8hos.gif

43 minutes ago, RiG said:

We have Joe Chalmers on trial. What's he like?

Ha. Hahahahaha... Hahaahahahaha.

There aren't many positives with SuperJoe. He's slow, he can't mark and is incapable of putting in a tackle. He's just not very good at football. By all accounts he's a nice guy though, so that's something I suppose. His call up to the Scotland u21 side last season was, putting it mildly, inexplicable.

His injury record was pretty poor as well. He missed quite a few games with injury in his first season with us and was out for a fair chunk of the first half of last season, looking back at it he was out from mid-September until the end of January.

He was given quite a few chances by McGhee and rarely convinced. By all accounts he (along with Jack McMillan) carried the can for the 5-1 defeat against Dundee as he was bombed out the team after that, never to be seen again. He did make a few appearances for the u20s though including one as part of a back three in of the most hilariously inept defensive performances I've ever seen in a 6-3 defeat to the team of actual teenagers that Thistle put out.

Put it this way, after Robinson took over and in the middle of a defensive crisis a large part of the manager's team selection seemed to be based on making sure Joe Chalmers wasn't on the park.

I saw you also have David Ferguson as well. He was absolutely rinsed by Jordan Jones in the Killie game at the end of the season, so much so that Robinson hooked him after 35 mins. It was as comprehensive a roasting as you've ever see. However, if he can drop a level and find regular first team football in his natural position then I'd have thought that if he can regain his confidence he could turn out alright.

Edited by capt_oats