Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Most folk give 4 weeks notice, some give 3 months, Tony has given the best part of 6 months.  I always made sure I got every last bit of effort from anyone that resigned from my place.  If Tony puts the effort in (and we are paying h8m after all) we should play him.  If his performances drop off then he won’t be in the team.

I mentioned before if a lid had been kept on this then he could have played out the season and then moved on, none of us would have cared.

22 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I'm sorry but I really don't get what you're complaining about? Every club has a ceiling and whether we like it or not, Dundee United are probably a bigger club than Motherwell. That's just the way it is and United signing Tony Watt isn't too dissimilar to when we signes Gallagher from Livi, Polworth from Inverness, Vigurs from Ross County etc.

Some clubs are just bigger than others and no change of approach will alter that. I think our social media team do a, generally, good job of getting the club out there but theres only so much they can do. Fir Park isn't going to suddenly turn into the Westfalenstadion regardless of what we do.

Far from a complaint, not really sure how you joined those dots to get there. Like on the park, I don't aspire to maintain what we've got. You always got to aim above where you are. To say we're a 4,500 attendance club and that is that is not an approach I take.

We had 18,000 at Hampden and grannies and day trippers aside there's still plenty in there who could be incentivised to return regularly. We used to get average attendances in excess of our current datum going back. Add in the amount of new houses built in the area (and despite existing allegiances) we should be able to tap into that a wee bit too.

7 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I had started distancing myself from him as soon as he declared that he was entertained by how I met your mother and the Big Bang theory anyway…

I would like 'reality TV appreciation' and 'love of shit U.S. comedy' to be considered alongside footballing ability in all future transfer negotiations. 

If Mbappe became an option, but he admitted to being amused by Made In Chelsea or Will and Grace, I'd like to think we'd him tell him where the fùck to get off.

Update from my contact.

Dundee United broke the story on the quiet via their trusted pals in the media in the hope it would spread disharmony among our support, calls to bench him and hasten his departure in January for a smaller fee.

Similar to what happened to Dec with Aberdeen, club is absolutely livid.

1 hour ago, Kapowzer said:

Update from my contact.

Dundee United broke the story on the quiet via their trusted pals in the media in the hope it would spread disharmony among our support, calls to bench him and hasten his departure in January for a smaller fee.

Similar to what happened to Dec with Aberdeen, club is absolutely livid.

That didn't end well for Aberdeen and Dec though ....

25 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

That didn't end well for Aberdeen and Dec though ....

And tbh fucking brilliant for us.  

As for Tony Watt... meh

As for United being a bigger club... all that means for those not called Rangers and Celtic in this league is they pay far more money for the same quality as we have.  

4 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

No new targeted initiatives for a few years now, that and what we have done in the past hasn't targeted low hanging fruit, time for a new approach.

If my commercial manager came in and said that to me they'd be getting a P45. We don't need excuses, we need solutions. If you start from a position of weakness you're starting from a poor place. Increasing our home attendance by 2,000 adults is not easy but not beyond us. We all got frustrated when McCall would go to Ibrox or Parkhead and apologise in advance. We all know the magnitude of the problem, the way forward is to find a new approach. Einstein succinctly defined "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results".

Also further to my "I think there's more to this story" previous post. I have it on good authority there isn't:

• Charlie Mulgrew's presence there a big factor in the move.
  • He is planning on moving house to the Dundee Area.
  • No doubt the timing is done to boost the feel good factor after a run of poor results and misfiring primary striker.
  • Dundee United continue to spend beyond their income, seems some lessons haven't been learned.
  • As fan owned and no rich benefactor we can't do what Ogren, Cormack or Gordon repeatedly do.
  • Some of their players have salaries in way in excess of bigger clubs.
  • Negotiations ongoing for a transfer fee to let him leave in January, it's in nobody's interest having him around now.

But it’s just a plain fact. Dundee is Scotlands 4th largest city with a population of what 150/200 thousand, Motherwell is a fraction of that and it’s surrounded by nothing but Rangers and Celtic fans. You could employ a string of commercial managers but they would all be dealing with the same issue of population.

Not a slight on Watt as a guy, but he strikes me as someone who will struggle to maintain his motivation levels in a way that others might in this situation. I'd usually be in the "sell him now camp" if it was an English team or someone we're not in direct competition with, but United being immediately below us complicates matters slightly. 

We'd probably have to rip the piss financially for it to be worth it to us, would United give us £300k? 

Dundee is in fact our 4th biggest city and is served by two clubs. The population of Motherwell, Bellshill, Wishaw, Carluke and Lanark (we've we've traditionally got our fans from) is commensurate when you half the population of Dundee to Tangarine and Dark Blue.

I agree our geographic location and the ingrained generational bigotry that fuels support for both sides of the OF is still strong here, I'm not asking for us to combat that, I'm saying there were 18k at Hampden 4 years ago, home crowds of 6,500/7,000 in my lifetime. Now it's 4,500 tops with a fair number of kids with free tickets.

While I get references to the Westfalenstadion are done with Hyperbole and for comedic effect, it doesn't override the fact that 19x a season there are 4,000 free seats in our existing stadium empty. I was advocating for attracting 2,000 more paying adults.

I don't buy into this stay in your lane, know your place pish. I also don't think that we should be happy and regard what we have at present as a high water mark. THat's all.

Are folk claiming United are signing Watt because they're a "bigger club"?

Its quite clearly because they have a mental owner who's happy to sink 7 figures into a black hole every year.

6 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

Dundee is in fact our 4th biggest city and is served by two clubs. The population of Motherwell, Bellshill, Wishaw, Carluke and Lanark (we've we've traditionally got our fans from) is commensurate when you half the population of Dundee to Tangarine and Dark Blue.

I agree our geographic location and the ingrained generational bigotry that fuels support for both sides of the OF is still strong here, I'm not asking for us to combat that, I'm saying there were 18k at Hampden 4 years ago, home crowds of 6,500/7,000 in my lifetime. Now it's 4,500 tops with a fair number of kids with free tickets.

While I get references to the Westfalenstadion are done with Hyperbole and for comedic effect, it doesn't override the fact that 19x a season there are 4,000 free seats in our existing stadium empty. I was advocating for attracting 2,000 more paying adults.

I don't buy into this stay in your lane, know your place pish. I also don't think that we should be happy and regard what we have at present as a high water mark. THat's all.

You include the local towns near Motherwell... but not those around Dundee.  🤔

25 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Not a slight on Watt as a guy, but he strikes me as someone who will struggle to maintain his motivation levels in a way that others might in this situation. I'd usually be in the "sell him now camp" if it was an English team or someone we're not in direct competition with, but United being immediately below us complicates matters slightly. 

We'd probably have to rip the piss financially for it to be worth it to us, would United give us £300k? 

The thing is, it's a not a simple one way negotiation. United would be worried that they sunk a shit load lot of money into someone that sits on our bench or trains with the weans and instead of arriving in January on top form/top condition, he arrives in July having not done much for a few months. 

As I'm currently feeling vindictive, I'd not be in favour of boosting a rival club at this point, regardless of what we decide to do in terms of playing Watt or not. 

25 minutes ago, Swello said:

The thing is, it's a not a simple one way negotiation. United would be worried that they sunk a shit load lot of money into someone that sits on our bench or trains with the weans and instead of arriving in January on top form/top condition, he arrives in July having not done much for a few months. 

As I'm currently feeling vindictive, I'd not be in favour of boosting a rival club at this point, regardless of what we decide to do in terms of playing Watt or not. 

Tell United to fork up or we're implementing a paneer only diet from now until June.

26 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

You include the local towns near Motherwell... but not those around Dundee.  🤔

Correct because the likes of Kirkton of Tealing, Burnside of Duntrune and Longforgan are hardly commensurate. Motherwell is in a densely populated part of Scotland where old towns and villages over time have grown and the natural boundary between them has diminished so many flow into each other with no real distinction. towns near Dundee such as Abroath and Forfar are also served by their own football teams and 15 miles away. Not that Lanark isn't but we are the closest team and a bus regularly left/leaves from there.

I'd hope you are allowed to support Motherwell and be targeted to support them if you don't grow up or now reside in a ML1 postcode.

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Are folk claiming United are signing Watt because they're a "bigger club"?

Its quite clearly because they have a mental owner who's happy to sink 7 figures into a black hole every year.

It's getting massively overlooked