Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

There are so many variables involved in this.

I remember something like £700k being quoted when the Chinese mob were in for him. Of course, we could have sold him then, but were his goals between then and now worth £200k to us? You'd have to say so. From the point that move was talked about, we had probably picked up enough points to stop us being favourites for relegation, but there'd have been no guarantee, looking what his goals have done for us since and we certainly wouldn't have got four wins and a draw post split and finished 7th.

We also probably put a gentleman's agreement in place to keep him motivated until the end of the season. If we are as good as our word and let him go, his legacy might convince other players to come up here for a season or two on modest wages (relatively speaking to footballer's wages) on the premise that if they perform for us we won't price them out of a move elsewhere.

There's also, as others have said, the fact that we signed him for free, on the back of him having injury struggles and scoring once in League Two in the previous season. This is money we won't have budgeted for. This time last summer, when his deal was extended, we'd have been extending it hoping he'd score 10-15 goals season just past and then do it again this season coming - I doubt we extended it thinking we could sell him.

He also, as @RandomGuy.says, is highly unlikely to have as good a season next season. I'd obviously back him to do very well for us next season, but I imagine it would be somewhere in between his first and second season in terms of output. But as brilliant as he has been, confidence, momentum and him being used in a role we hadn't used him in previously are all major factors in that.

We also probably want the deal to get done early on too. I could easily see us rejecting the bid, before a moody August from the big man sees us accept less money on deadline day before scrambling to sign someone on loan from Shrewsbury to fill the void. If we get our ducks in a row now, it gives us the best possible chance of hitting the ground running with life post KVV, if we get the deal done early.

All of this said, it's a nice to be debating if £500k is too low for a 32 year old, when it wasn't so long ago academy products Reynolds and Murphy were being sold for £100k...

2 minutes ago, Marinello said:

Not wishing to piss on anyone's chips but am I right in believing Scunthorpe are due a percentage of KVV's transfer?

Please tell me I'm wrong!!

He was out of contract when we signed him.

So...you're wrong.

Kevin van Veen is a Motherwell player.

The Dutch striker has signed a two-year deal, moving after leaving Scunthorpe United at the end of last season.

Link

5 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Dunno. I'd say turning our season round when we were heading for relegation under Robinson would probably be worth a "Thanks".

Think Sligo and his attempt to get us relegated the following season cancels that out tbh.

Regardless of the fee incoming, getting the KVV deal done early does give Kettlewell a bit more scope to start getting some of his own targets in early. We know Kev is going, its just a matter of how much for and where to. Freeing up his wage knowing there is a fee also forthcoming should take a bit of the pressure off.

4 minutes ago, Dosser1886 said:

Think Sligo and his attempt to get us relegated the following season cancels that out tbh.

Not for me. If Alexander hadn't been given the extension (our fault, not his) I'd have been very content with him all in.

The days of a long-serving manager at a club our size are long gone and ultimately you're eventually going to fail having to rebuild constantly.

So if the balance from a two-year contract is saved us from relegation, gets us Europe, sacked/resigned and we salvage the situation, he's no worse than 'fine', even if the style and early 2022 means he's not hugely better either.

His reported suitors are like a Hibs. They get relegated you’d think even though the championship is more of a contest they’d be quite a bit ahead and promotion a formality ….. <thinks back to 2015ish> maybe not.

I suppose if it does go through it’ll all be in the wording after citing his run in stats and record breaking.

If the word “substantial” precedes “potential add ons” then it may be rosier than some are making out.

I dunno it just feels like a low ball as reported. The reality is probably the pragmatism of @thisGRAEME’s post.

Edited by Kapowzer

8 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

The lure of the “curry chat” bring you over?

Nah. It was Grizzly G terrible attempts at humour that did for me 😂

You do get a more balanced and better debate on P&B. Plus the Capt is good for a detailed summary on pretty much every Motherwell related subject going 👏👏.

I have a tendency to post late at night after a few drams. It normally shows in my posts late on a Friday or Saturday evening. I did partake last night 🥃 for a rare midweek swally.  I get more irrational and more emotional thanks to malt whisky. I then edit the following day or even delete sometimes. All on me. There should be a cool down period or similar like gambling sites…

"Sorry Kev, we're not letting you go as a few of the Owners of the Club on Twitter.com are saying we need a couple of hundred grand extra, at least.  I know that'll mean you staying here and getting about £8k a week less than what you could've had, but y'know, suck it up".

I know it really shouldn't by now, but it honestly amazes me just now many Motherwell supporters think transfers in and out of Motherwell are like what you get on Football Manager or FIFA.  A player isn't just a thing we trade as and when we fancy, he's a human being.  There's literally dozens of variables in this. It's a chance for Kev to go home, we promised him he could leave the club in the summer after the China offer was rejected, he wants to leave, he's got a family to look after, it's his career.  If we stop him moving now, what message does that send to the next 50 signings we want to make who'll see Motherwell as a stepping stone to bigger and better things?  If a player does right by the football club, as Kev has clearly done, it's our duty as a football club, as an employer and simply as good c***s, to do right by the player.

At the point now where I hope we get about £175k just to wind up those wee VL's. 

Edited by Desp

I think most of the skill in selling players is knowing when to sell- i.e extending KVV last summer, knocking back the Chinese until we were safe. When it comes to actually negotiating a fee I assume unless somebody massively fucks up we're going to end up with round about the maximum anybody is willing to pay, rather than the club agreeing to the first lowball offer we receive out of incompetence. 

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

25 minutes ago, Lobby Dossar said:

Am I the only one who thinks KVV will end up at MK Dons the guy who owns them is minted.

As a Long term MK resident (though I've only seen a couple of MK Dons matches and don't follow their news all that closely) I would absolutely love that, but I rather doubt it.    You say he's "minted" - Googling for his 'net worth' returns $5 million and £1.5m as possible values.  Perhaps you saw the figure of £121m (but with £44m of debt) - that's the value attached to the businesses he owns / is a director of.   Not sure that counts until he retires and cashes in.

So he's got an income stream from both football and property development, and some "walking about" spending cash in the bank, but it's hardly "minted" in the context of throwing cash around at new players.

MK Dons have just been relegated, Winkelman's long-term plan of getting MK Dons into the EPL keeps taking knocks.  It'll be interesting to see how this season pans out.   I wonder if he'll call it quits if the team performs poorly again.  Maybe he'll try to spend his way out of trouble, but he's never over-invested in the past.

I guess your primary reason is the Graham Alexander connection.  Yeah I suppose that means there's going to be more chance of something happening than with any other random English League One or Championship team.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

On 25/04/2023 at 16:12, Swello said:

I would like KVV to get a move to team in the Netherlands so that he can return a hero to the country that shunned him and forced him to play in Scunthorpe.

I can't really complain when I asked for it.