Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Chuffed for Theo and kudos to Kettlewell. When he signed he was questioned and said he was a project and he saw something in him. Well he was right. Another tick for the gaffer.

If someone had said at the start of the season we could and would get more in transfer money for Theo than we ended up getting for Van Veen. You would have been taken away to the loony bin. 

Any bids have yet to come to the fore, so it may not come to pass but another couple of goals post split will help as will this vote by fellow payers. And if Dons fans are expecting £5m for Miovski and we are talking £750k for Bair….something is amiss. 

So, any news on yhe Aberdeen vs Motherwell tickets? Are they still physical tickets? Cause time is in short supply before the match. I work during the office opening times so I can't pick it up mid week so I will need it to be sent out 

What do Aberdeen take out of that today?  Is it the confidence that they are capable of competing further up the table or is it the mental sapping devastation of defeat.  Anyway, they will get a 1-0 head start before we begin to play.

Edited by ropy

2 hours ago, Phillips455 said:

So, any news on yhe Aberdeen vs Motherwell tickets? Are they still physical tickets? Cause time is in short supply before the match. I work during the office opening times so I can't pick it up mid week so I will need it to be sent out 

The home tickets are available to buy on their own site but aye, a £1.70 add on for postage when we put the details up.

3 minutes ago, ropy said:

What do Aberdeen take out of that today?  Is it the confidence that they are capable of competing further up the table or is it the mental sapping devastation of defeat.  Anyway, they will get a 1-0 head start before we begin to play.

I'd rather they'd won...for the giggles mainly but if you're in the final literally everything is focussed on that, the games till then are just kickabouts.

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I'd rather they'd won...for the giggles mainly but if you're in the final literally everything is focussed on that, the games till then are just kickabouts.

Fringe benefit, 5th in the cinch doesn't get Europe if they did.

55 minutes ago, Dosser1886 said:

Not the narrative I've heard from them at all, especially on here. 

Raging perhaps the wrong word - perhaps defensive would be better. In terms of the media, I've never before seen an article like Eric Nicholson's recent offering about a particular player. 

12 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Raging perhaps the wrong word - perhaps defensive would be better. In terms of the media, I've never before seen an article like Eric Nicholson's recent offering about a particular player. 

I don't think it's fair to use Nicolsons opinion are an example of the entire support, the Callum Davidson saga should show you why.

Most Saints fans wanted Bair to succeed, saw he was awful for us, and were shocked he got another top flight side, which led to the reaction when he signed for you last Summer. The reaction now is of a feeling of a missed opportunity with us, with fingers being pointed at Davidson/MacLean for what seems a clear inability to get him performing.

I think I've seen one or two say Bair is still shite and that this season is a one off, most wish him well and use it as a dig at Davidson. 

I'll never understand why Nicholson's take get such coverage on here. Because it makes it to a physical newspaper, it has more credibility that the ramblings of another roaster on here at 2am when it really shouldn't. He's just another inmate at the asylum that's got hold of a crayon fuelled by personal relationships over objectivity.

*I often post at 2am

I do think the Bair thing is definitely the biggest unqualified success of our season and he's one of my favourite players in years but I find some of the hubris from our fans on twitter a bit odd. If he was firing us to 3rd and St Johnstone were going down I'd understand a "let's all laugh at St Johnstone" vibe but we'll probably end up finishing 9th and 10th together. 

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

Just now, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I do think the Bair thing is definitely the biggest unqualified success of our season and he's one of my favourite players in years but I find some of the hubris from our fans on twitter a bit odd. If he was firing us to 3rd and St Johnstone were going down I'd understand a "let's all laugh at St Johnstone" vibe but we'll probably end up finish 9th and 10th together. 

Ha yeah. If Kettlewell had also extended a beady eye and that coaching to some bombscare defenders, turning them into something resembling competence, then we may have done better than 9th.

5 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Ha yeah. If Kettlewell had also extended a beady eye and that coaching to some bombscare defenders, turning them into something resembling competence, then we may have done better than 9th.

Haha aye, I was worried I came across a bit dour about folk enjoying a brilliant individual turnaround but I think it's just my natural pessimism means I'd be too scared of St Johnstone pipping us to a completely inconsequential 9th place finish on the last day to be properly giving it out.

59 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I don't think it's fair to use Nicolsons opinion are an example of the entire support, the Callum Davidson saga should show you why.

Most Saints fans wanted Bair to succeed, saw he was awful for us, and were shocked he got another top flight side, which led to the reaction when he signed for you last Summer. The reaction now is of a feeling of a missed opportunity with us, with fingers being pointed at Davidson/MacLean for what seems a clear inability to get him performing.

I think I've seen one or two say Bair is still shite and that this season is a one off, most wish him well and use it as a dig at Davidson. 

Yeah, in fairness, the Nicholson stuff is just an enjoyable running bit now because it's quite weird...inexplicable even. His apparent fixation with Bair is just...odd though.

Tie in Tommy Wright not exactly being a fan of ours along with him announcing the Gallagher signing in a fit of pique and the growing number of players we've picked up having largely done f**k all in Perth who turned out to be some of our better players eg: Watt, Goss, Bair etc the whole thing is just quite funny.

It's definitely not something that anyone should be taking seriously or getting bent out of shape over.

I agree with @YassinMoutaouakil that the hubris from some Motherwell fans on Twitter about Bair is strange. Then again large swathes of Motherwell fans on Twitter as fucking idiots. So I guess there's that.

Edited by capt_oats

Watt was very good for us, FWIW, and it seemed to only fall apart after he rejected a new contract and Tommy Wright decided he wanted to give Chris Kane a run of games to see if he'd be a capable first choice the season after.

I think yer man is just very pro-St Johnstone, to the point it's assumed we do everything right and if things don't work out then it's someone else's fault, so the easiest reply to Bair turning his career around is claiming its luck etc.,  rather than admitted we failed him via coaching/tactics etc.

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think yer man is just very pro-St Johnstone, to the point it's assumed we do everything right and if things don't work out then it's someone else's fault, so the easiest reply to Bair turning his career around is claiming its luck etc.,  rather than admitted we failed him via coaching/tactics etc.

Oh aye, I 100% get that - in a way that's why it's quite funny from an outsider's POV.

7dmec2.jpg

24 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Oh aye, I 100% get that - in a way that's why it's quite funny from an outsider's POV.

7dmec2.jpg

It’s much worse than you think. While much of the fanbase could see the trajectory under Davidson before it transpired, Nicolson was an apologist and calling us keyboard warriors and undermining our correct assessment all the way through CD’s (18 months too long) tenure.

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I do think the Bair thing is definitely the biggest unqualified success of our season and he's one of my favourite players in years but I find some of the hubris from our fans on twitter a bit odd. If he was firing us to 3rd and St Johnstone were going down I'd understand a "let's all laugh at St Johnstone" vibe but we'll probably end up finishing 9th and 10th together. 

It's also worth pointing out that even at Xmas, half our fans thought Bair was utter shite and the other half thought he was shite but at least worked hard.

The level of seeth at his signing was off the charts, matched only by the total bemusement that it was a two-year deal on top.

I'm absolutely delighted for him and us at how it's gone but if history isn't being rewritten, the July-Christmas part of his spell with us is fair being ignored.

29 minutes ago, andrewh said:

It’s much worse than you think. While much of the fanbase could see the trajectory under Davidson before it transpired, Nicolson was an apologist and calling us keyboard warriors and undermining our correct assessment all the way through CD’s (18 months too long) tenure.

Fun reading all that back, then reading Queens Park fans currently complaining about only scoring in one of their last 6 matches, an ineffective system, and shiteheart players being endlessly played.

Not surprising those who were fairly vicious in their defence of him, and lauded his form when he first went there and had a jibe at Saints fans who wanted him out, have suddenly decided to avoid all mention of it.