Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Sparrow was rotten with Accies. Cant think of any redeeming features. He was slow, never capable of creating anything and not interested in any physical challenges.

2 minutes ago, FuzzyBear said:

Sparrow was rotten with Accies. Cant think of any redeeming features. He was slow, never capable of creating anything and not interested in any physical challenges.

Players can improve... Bair springs to mind. 

17 minutes ago, FuzzyBear said:

Wait until we sell him for £1m next summer after this team of the year nomination.

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

@Vietnam91 fair enough they don't just hand over info to you but the Society board should have it.

A number of them were CC'd in on it. This ain't my first rodeo.

Edited by Vietnam91

26 minutes ago, FuzzyBear said:

Why should Lanarkshires Premier team take advice fron an Accies and  Linlithgow Rose fan, what have they done in th3 last few years, absolutely he haw. Don't mention the challenge cup, all it led to was relegation. 

7 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Surely the club isn't claiming they can produce numbers but not show workings to the Society board?!

No it was just to me. All I asked if the figure I got to based on the publicly published accounts was closer to £3.8m or £7.7m (the figure got to in the past month with current figures), there in theory is a £4m difference within 12 months.

The WS board members may have requested this information without CC'ing me in. Which I would accept.

1 hour ago, Vietnam91 said:

This morning I wrote to the club Finance Director to ask for clarification on who calculated the Enterprise Value (EV) figure. I asked if it included our substantial liquid assets and if incorrect it needed retracted and an apology issued as some WS members may have used that in their early decision making process regarding the palatability of the offer. For clarity, it was not a figure arrived at by Erik and adopted by the club. While he has plenty of legitimate and robust questions to answer, this can't be levelled at his door.

I advised I was using the 2023 accounts (to 31/MAY/23) and published in February 2024.

Based on those and following the formula there did seem at first reading to be a discrepancy of approximately £4m. While there was mention in the press release of the outstanding debts, there was no reference of the liquid assets used to offset these.

This is the response. Form your own opinions.

Acknowledging I had no access to immediate figures, I conveyed I felt that £4m was a pretty large amount to be out by. I asked if the EV a year ago would be closer to £3.8m or £7.7m as those are figures I did have access to.

I asked if there was any way convey something to allay fears in what at first reading seems a drastically different EV derived using up to date numbers from the published accounts when at first reading it seemed to take no account (or reference) of our liquid assets.

From previous AGM’s I am aware the covid loan has unique and complex properties attached to it, but at its core it is an interest free loan. I recall the issues stemmed from how it was accounted for as a practice. If the difference was anything up to £500k I would not have asked further, but it’s sitting at just under £4m.

Again, form your own opinions.

Finally, I freely admit I have no accountancy background other than an elective taken at university for one semester. My skillset was limited to playing angry birds at 38,000ft and being a sounding board for ex-RAF guys moaning about their ex-wives and pension.

That's good. Because there are Motherwell fans on twitter blaming him for the valuation that the club set and it's been retweeted to very large audiences over the past couple of days. Like you say criticism where people think it's due but he doesn't deserve to be hung out to dry over that. 

7 minutes ago, ML4 said:

Has Douglas Dickie quit the club board yet?

Heavy, heavy Douglas Ross vibes and playbook going on here. Just no diddy board to go back to, that bridge is well and truly torched.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

The irony of this being announced the same afternoon Accies confirm Barry Maguire is not lost on me.

Is Sparrow two footed? 

I'm really struggling with this. Collectively, Steelmen - absolutely. Superhero mascot, Steelman - brilliant.

I absolutely cannot accept an individual player being a steelman. Sack the board. 

Screenshot 2024-06-12 at 19.13.23.png