Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

44 minutes ago, mjw said:

We've let go the next big thing if you check the comments on the clubs Facebook page.
What did these guys see that no one else did?

It's the well known phenomenon where the less a player is seen in the first team, the better he becomes. 

It's the well known phenomenon where the less a player is seen in the first team, the better he becomes. 

The Luke Watt Phenomenon, to give it its full title.

2 hours ago, mjw said:

We've let go the next big thing if you check the comments on the clubs Facebook page.
What did these guys see that no one else did?

I try not to engage with the smooth brains too often, but jesus christ.

5 hours ago, Swello said:

I reckon anything north of £500k with a decent add-on and he'd be off like a shot...but what do I know.

4 hours ago, Desp said:

Aye, would agree with that. £500k with either add-ons or sell-on clause and we'll deal.

Aye. With Johnson Alan Burrows tweeted out to a guy giving him grief that the club received its highest combined fee since 2009 which looking at sales that year would be Clarkson to Bristol City for a reported £600k. There were a couple of figures in the press around the time Johnson signed for Oxford quoting £650k and the club made it clear a sell % is involved in the deal as well so it wouldn't be a huge surprise if that was the combined fee once all the payments have been made. I'd imagine £500k would start a discussion re: Moult but anywhere between £500k-£750k with a sell on % and that'll be that.

Going by his quite awkward interview earlier, unlike Johnson, Moult seems quite fine with sticking about if the club don't get a bid that matches their valuation which is helpful to a point. I'd imagine both player, agent and club have come to an arrangement as to what that valuation actually is and right now I'd think the preference would still be to try and find a buyer in the English leagues.

Edited by capt_oats

9 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Randolph did that for me. Bloke was absolutely brilliant, ended up playing at a level maybe just too high for him in the ended, but ended up at fucking Birmingham on the way to it?

Bizarre.

9 hours ago, Swello said:

I was going to mention Randolph in my post - but I always rationalised that by the fact that with a 'keeper at the age he was at, clubs could afford to wait for him to get more experience - but I agree with you, it was bizarre.

It wasn't that he went to Birmingham for me, it was that no one even looked interested when he was under contract.

He was fucking great tae.

6 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Speaking of Randolph, what a bizarre transfer window this was. f**k knows how Brown managed to unearth the best Motherwell goalkeeper in decades amongst the sea of utter randoms he brought in. cdc2f8630b536258246fa24bf187e4d6.jpg

Ooooft! We could easily put together a no-mark select filled with players who arrived, were scarcely seen and er, fucked off again:

Tweet(@MotherwellFC): '66 | 0-5 Brill rolls out to Charaloumbous, who slips it to Belic - he plays in Casagolda who hits someone in the disabled enclosure with a rasping shot. 

53 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I've never heard of Howarth either. I'd forgotten about the tank driver and Alan shittin Gow. Him and Jake Taylor both got a sarcastic cheer when they got subbed off in the last games they played for us.

That's brought it back to me - he was just off his national service in Cyprus, right?

Marvin Johnson to Leicester for £2m being reported.. would apparently make us in the region of £500k. Would be interesting to see how we'd deal with the Moult situation with that money in the bank.

Just now, SCDave said:

Marvin Johnson to Leicester for £2m being reported.. would apparently make us in the region of £500k. Would be interesting to see how we'd deal with the Moult situation with that money in the bank.

I'm getting the feeling that Moult is gone regardless of what we do - he's decided (and fair enough) that he needs to take a step up. Whatever we see getting through to the player budget from that £500k would be helpful in replacing the qualities of Moult and McDonald as that is still the most difficult task of the summer IMO.