Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

5 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

So that’s Cole Stockton and Leko been linked in the press and James Scott and Joe Shaughnessy linked by the thread. 

Anyone else I’ve missed?

If you want to go back a bit further this Tweet was lifted from one of Nixon's Patreon stories.

Just to chuck it into the mixer beside GA leaving the squad in a state, poor board decisions, inexperienced manager and out of form players....one thing we really lack is an experienced(ish even) leader. You look at our experienced older type players and they are all quiet as a mouse when the going gets tough (SOD, McGinn, Lamie, Spittal even) or just not leader types (KVV, Goss). We've got no one to drag the team along when things hit the shit and you visibly see them all heads down and the younger players like Kelly, Slattery, Penney, Shields even follow them. 

On the topic of what/how many we need in January here's a list of those unavailable last night from the first team squad of 22 outfield players we've had since the close of the summer window:

• Carroll
  • Mugabi
  • Johansen
  • McGinley
  • Blaney (unregistered)
  • Efford
  • Moult
  • Morris
  • Aarons (loan cancelled)

Fucking LOL.

Edited by capt_oats

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

On the topic of what/how many we need in January here's a list of those unavailable last night from the first team squad of 22 outfield players we've had since the close of the summer window:

• Carroll
  • Mugabi
  • Johansen
  • McGinley
  • Blaney (unregistered)
  • Efford
  • Moult
  • Morris
  • Aarons (loan cancelled)

Fucking LOL.

Scary that when I look at that list, Efford is the only one that I feel could improve us. 

3 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

I also think Scott would be absolutely fine for us (in addition to others) as a bit of squad depth. We know how to use him wide, whereas no-one else seems to realise it.

I’d say it’s Robinson who knows how to get the best out of him- it seems the trick is to yell at Scott incessantly for 90 minutes and storm around the dugout with your head in your hands in complete despair and exasperation.  

It genuinely worked. Robinson could get a tune out of him and as we can see, he’s clearly happy to fill his team with players he already knows. Wouldn’t surprise me to see him at St Mirren. 

Thought we caused Rangers a lot of problems winning possession high up the park with the high press. Even at 2-0 their.fans were booing them for their poor play forced by our tactics .The achilles heel of soft goals cost us again. SOD has to get closer to Barisic and Kelly should do better with 2nd goal. Lastly Shields had a decent game BUT should've scored early doors AND to shirk out of a 60/40 with an out of control McGregor when clean through was unforgivable 

4 hours ago, Swami said:

I went along last night but didn’t really want to. I haven’t got much to add on the game itself but the half-time draw prizes made me laugh. “Up to” 5 grand for first and then £250 and £100. For a 50000 crowd? Stingy b*****ds. 

....and 4th prize in the "Union Jackpot" was a £50 voucher for Mr Singhs. 

23 hours ago, Marinello said:

Aware it may sound like grasping at straws but having taken in the Livi/St Mirren game tonight we shouldn't have much to fear from Livi on Monday.

Livi very limited in midfield and pretty ponderous at the back.

Will be without red carded Pittman who is their ' go to guy' in midfield. Add to this Holt's redcard may be upheld from Saturday and Nouble's no show for last 2 games.

Biggest threat is their number 7 ( Moyo) who carries the ball well and puts in a shift.

Pitch bye the way is hellish ( no surprise) and only serves to help grafters not playmakers.

Will be close but a draw is certainly within our reach.

Apparently we're expecting Nouble and Shamal to be back for this one. 

If nothing else we'll probably end up with a bit of a makeshift midfield of Omeonga/Kelly/Kelly, with the potential of someone like Shinnie being thrown in there

As @eliphaspoints out, the squad is completely lacking in leaders. There are no visibly vocal types, no one who takes the game by the scruff of the next and no one who really carries themselves through their own performance well enough to set an example.

The captaincy has been curse since Las retired. The only good captain I'd say we've had since then was Hartley, who unfortunately was a better captain than he was a centre half at times.

We all seem to agree that we need around 4 players to make us better in January. I reckon realistically we could be looking at 1 or 2 players who'd add quality, then 1 or 2 more that add depth. I think to recruit in those numbers a 100% hit rate is unlikely. My hope if we bring in anyone who's not of the desired quality that at least a bit of competition kicks others on.

A lot of our business this window seems to be hanging on what Hammy said in a presser. 2 bodies was it?

So obviously a multitude of questions arise from that, the first of which was Hammy simply low balling? Is it 2 permanent additions, or something else?

Is Blaney considered one of those two, or because he was a signed deal way back was he not thought to be included in that?

Will Penney be considered as one of the two or not because he's already here but not secured beyond January?

Aarons and Moult's loan costs would have been calculated and budgeted for the full season. Aarons already returned to parent club so no more cash out there. 

The club had agreed with the Terriers that should the winger sustain a longer-term injury during his stay at Fir Park, the agreement could be brought to a premature end.

Nothing official from the club about Moult but everything points to another termination, if so why no announcement?

We can't be on the hook for any more money with the pair of them considering they were both injury prone at time of resigning. It would seemingly be crazy if the same safeguard wasn't put in place with Louis.

Is it common for a loaned to club to have a clause written in a portion of medical bills for guys injured on their watch? I know Scotland does it.

What I don't think anyone is prepared for on here (especially as the third goal at Ibrox seemed to stimulate an extra level of foreboding) is what if we get a decent offer for Slattery? Up and down form of late, spat with the cops, on his day a decent player and one of the few in this team I'd be sorry to see go.

However based on his performances so far maybe Penney will have secured a move like Jordan Archer did to QPR and we'll have no say on the matter.

5 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

However based on his performances so far maybe Penney will have secured a move like Jordan Archer did to QPR and we'll have no say on the matter.

Archer was a free agent when he signed for us on a permanent and it was only ever intended to be a short term thing. So his move to Middlesboro was when his deal was about to expire and we thought Carson was back fit. Chances are we'd already told him his services would no longer be required at the end of that contract.

He moved to QPR from Boro.

Penney's situation is a loan. He has a club until the end of the season at least. If he moves on it'll be Ipswich that will have to sanction it.

Devante Cole (the first time) is probably the better comparison to Penney just now in that we had a short term loan deal that expired in January. We wanted to extend but Wigan chose to sell him on to Doncaster or at least let them take over the remainder of his contract.

Edited by capt_oats