Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

26 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Results pretty much all falling favourably for us today, with the exception maybe of St Mirren picking up a point. Is it too much to ask for us not to fcuk it tomorrow?

If we end up going down we'll look back at the three home game run against Killie, Hibs and County as the moment we had safety in our own hands against absolute shite and blew it.

All the hard luck stories end over the next seven days, we'll either do enough or we won't. And if screw it up now I suspect - though obviously not the fatal blow in mid-January - we won't recover.

6 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

If we end up going down we'll look back at the three home game run against Killie, Hibs and County as the moment we had safety in our own hands against absolute shite and blew it.

All the hard luck stories over the next seven days, we'll either do enough or we won't. And if screw it up now I suspe though obviously not the fatal blow in mid-January - we won't recover.

The business we manage to do, not simply in the window but, more crucially I'd say, in the next few days, will go a fair way to determining our fate.

Obviously Hammell had at least a forward he'd hoped to get over the line in time for tomorrow which hasn't materialised. The January window is notoriously difficult, I get that, and in our position our acquisitions need to be on the money. We could be doing with bodies in sooner rather than later though as this is a crucial run of games against the teams directly around us where we really need to be grinding out some points, and we're desperately in need of options. A late flurry of hopeful punts on deadline day may already be verging on too late.

23 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

All the hard luck stories end over the next seven days, we'll either do enough or we won't. And if screw it up now I suspect - though obviously not the fatal blow in mid-January - we won't recover.

Agree with that. 

42 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

It's interesting (it's really not) that we've had both Burrows and Hammell saying we have irons in the fire and we're hoping to get players in sooner rather than later but there don't seem to have been any leaks of names to your Scott Burns or the like.

Maybe Hammell has learned his lesson, or been told to shut the f**k up, after the very public pursuit of Snodgrass fell on its arse. 

31 minutes ago, Desp said:

Maybe Hammell has learned his lesson, or been told to shut the f**k up, after the very public pursuit of Snodgrass fell on its arse. 

Saw bits of the St Mirren vs Hearts game today and, watching Snodgrass and his influence on those around him, it's hard to argue that someone of his or Davis's experience and stature wouldn't have made a considerable difference to where we're at..... the leader we're sadly lacking.

Our loss was definitely Hearts' gain in that respect and very much a 'what might have been' situation. But you're right, Hammell may well have learned his lesson from being so public in his pursuit and therefore playing cards much closer to chest this time...... either that or there's currently f**k all in the pipeline to get excited about. 

I don't think it's a good idea to mention players you're pursuing in public, mainly because of the risk of looking daft when it doesn't work out and the resulting aggro from supporters. However, hammell talking about it publically isn't the reason Snodgrass ended up at hearts, his agent would have been touting him to every club to try and get the best offer for him, which is his job, and as such we missed out. 

38 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I reckon we're missing targets left right n centre. (based on absolutely nothing except this is what happened in August and resulted in Moult and Aarons)

From what I have heard, from a normally extremely reliable journalistic source, we have missed out on 4 targets already.

Board have tightened the purse strings on what we believed was available so what we can offer has decreased and we have been priced out a couple of others. 

Couple of signings likely but will be supplemented with a couple more loans. 

12 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

From what I have heard, from a normally extremely reliable journalistic source, we have missed out on 4 targets already.

Board have tightened the purse strings on what we believed was available so what we can offer has decreased and we have been priced out a couple of others. 

I can only imagine the state of Burrows' reply guys.

117.gif

11 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

First bit is fairly accurate from what I know. But the second bit isn't in as much as the budget hasn't changed from what was set out at the start of the season. Moult going back has actually increased what's available on a monthly basis (albeit not by a huge amount). Looking to loan out a couple of the higher earners who aren't starting/not fancied (Hi Morris) to free up more funds and also give youth a bit more of a chance as backup apparently.

5 hours ago, wellboy1991 said:

If we've been priced out then they were never legitimate targets.

Does Hammell have the ability to change formations or plans at all?  

Surely he, like everyone else, can see this doesn’t work and while our options are limited we need to try SOMETHING that involves not playing connor shields

3 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Does Hammell have the ability to change formations or plans at all?  

Surely he, like everyone else, can see this doesn’t work and while our options are limited we need to try SOMETHING that involves not playing connor shields

He should not reappear for the 2nd half. But he probably will. I know McKinstry is left sided but who cares or Tierney. Absolutely anyone please